Trados Studio 2019 error: “The translation provider XXX could not be opened and has been disabled”
Thread poster: Todd Field
Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:26
Portuguese to English
Feb 10, 2022

When trying to access a server-based TM in Trados Studio 2019, I am receiving the error “The translation provider XXX could not be opened and has been disabled”.

I am having no problems adding, accessing and logging on to the server of the agency in question. Rather, the problem occurs at the moment I try to add one of the agency's server-based TMs to a project. According to the agency, no other translators are experiencing this problem.

I have tried all three worka
... See more
When trying to access a server-based TM in Trados Studio 2019, I am receiving the error “The translation provider XXX could not be opened and has been disabled”.

I am having no problems adding, accessing and logging on to the server of the agency in question. Rather, the problem occurs at the moment I try to add one of the agency's server-based TMs to a project. According to the agency, no other translators are experiencing this problem.

I have tried all three workarounds at https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000013265 without any success.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on troubleshooting this? Thanks in advance for your help.
Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 09:26
English to Romanian
+ ...
Recommended precaution Feb 10, 2022

Did they send you a purchar order?

It looks like they are not really interested in you getting the job done.

They could at least make an export, right?

Todd Field
United States
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Long-time partner Feb 10, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:

Did they send you a purchar order?

It looks like they are not really interested in you getting the job done.

They could at least make an export, right?

The agency in question is one I have worked with regularly, in high volumes, for more than a decade. The problem arose only recently. Apparently exporting to a file-based TM is not an option, so I am desperately seeking a solution to this technical problem.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Todd Feb 10, 2022

Just a suggestion: have you tried to add the client's TM as "Any server-based TM"?

Todd Field
United States
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Already tried Feb 10, 2022

Natalie wrote:

Just a suggestion: have you tried to add the client's TM as "Any server-based TM"?

Yes, thanks, that's an excellent suggestion. I have already tried it, unfortunately, with no success.

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Universal workaround Feb 10, 2022

Just in case you haven't already thought of this: restart computer.

It is not among the options mentioned by SDL, but sometimes it provides results, rather unexpectedly.

Restarting the computer should make it clear to the SDL server that your Studio is no longer idle.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
And Feb 10, 2022

is the project at your local computer? Or is it a GroupShare project?

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Non-technical question Feb 10, 2022

Are you sure you would get significant benefits by connecting to the server for this specific project?

Sometimes, technical writers make mistakes, too. Like: Translation Memory was disabled, so it cannot be opened.

A very intriguing case, anyway. Hopefully, it will end well.

Todd Field
United States
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent suggestion Feb 10, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:

Just in case you haven't already thought of this: restart computer.

It is not among the options mentioned by SDL, but sometimes it provides results, rather unexpectedly.

Restarting the computer should make it clear to the SDL server that your Studio is no longer idle.

Just tried it, and unfortunately it didn't work

Todd Field
United States
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
The project is at my local computer Feb 10, 2022

Natalie wrote:

is the project at your local computer? Or is it a GroupShare project?

The project in question is on my local computer. The server-based TM I'm trying to access is on the agency's GroupShare server.

Mihai Badea (X)
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Make sure you are not in energy-saving mode Feb 10, 2022

Todd,

It would seem this is a rather old problem.

https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/groupshare/f/groupshare-qa/28527/studio-2019-keeps-losing-connection-to-server-tms/91899

And it keeps occurring although, at some point, it
... See more
Todd,

It would seem this is a rather old problem.

https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/groupshare/f/groupshare-qa/28527/studio-2019-keeps-losing-connection-to-server-tms/91899

And it keeps occurring although, at some point, it was reported as solved (with Build 15.2.8.3007).

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=CUs-Studio2019SR2

Great tool, pesky repeating bugs. SDL ...
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:26
English to Russian
Do you use plugins? Feb 11, 2022

Do you by any chance use translation provider plugins like GT, DeepL or ModernMT? If yes, you may want to uninstall them and see if it changes anything.

Also, you can try to create a new project from scratch, then try to connect the server-based TM.

[Edited at 2022-02-11 05:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2019 error: “The translation provider XXX could not be opened and has been disabled”

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »