Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
I'm retiring. I want to sell my Trados Studio 2021.
Thread poster: Linda Larsson (X)
Linda Larsson (X)
Linda Larsson (X)  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:14
Swedish to English
Mar 21, 2022

I'd like to sell my trados license since I'm retiring and won't be using it any more. How do I do this? Or can I even do this? I can only find old posts on this subject and hope things have changed. I'd hate for this Cat-tool to go to waste.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Linda Mar 21, 2022

Linda Larsson wrote:
How do I do this? Or can I even do this?

Whether you can or can't may depend on the current situation. I suggest you ask your question on the official Trados forum:
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio
I was unable to find the Trados 2021 license terms anywhere on my computer or on their web site.

Linda Larsson (X)

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
exchange Mar 21, 2022

https://www.proz.com/exchange

here there are offers for studio, perhaps you can try

Linda Larsson (X)
Sweden
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both Mar 21, 2022

I'm looking at your suggestions.
/Linda

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 14:14
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Linda, Mar 21, 2022

you also may want to take a look at this:

See more
you also may want to take a look at this:

https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/f/licensing/33805/sell-the-license-after-a-project

https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/207502-is_it_possible_to_sell_my_trados_license.html

https://www.proz.com/forum/trados_support/99509-how_to_sell_sdl_trados_2007_freelance.html
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:14
German to English
Potential problems for buyer Mar 21, 2022

In the case of Trados, you don't own the software.
Most user agreements (EULA) provide a license only for *use* of the respective software. I haven't read the Trados EULA in a long time, and I don't recall whether it provides for a transfer of the software to a third party. In my experience, transactions with SDL (and now RWS) are a pain, so I can't imagine that transferring a license to someone else would be easy.

The risk to a potential unauthorized buyer is that in the even
... See more
In the case of Trados, you don't own the software.
Most user agreements (EULA) provide a license only for *use* of the respective software. I haven't read the Trados EULA in a long time, and I don't recall whether it provides for a transfer of the software to a third party. In my experience, transactions with SDL (and now RWS) are a pain, so I can't imagine that transferring a license to someone else would be easy.

The risk to a potential unauthorized buyer is that in the event of bug fixes/updates, the buyer is out of luck and also not eligible for lower-cost version upgrades.

The other issue I've encountered when temporarily sharing old software or selling hardware, the user/buyer often expects you to support the product. For that reason, I've stopped selling replaced equipment. Oddly enough, no one has ever asked me to let them try Trados.
Collapse

expressisverbis

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, at least in the EU Mar 21, 2022

The European Court of Justice has ruled that a software licence can be sold, even if the software company says it can't:

https://www.techdirt.com/2012/07/03/eu-court-says-yes-you-can-resell-your-software-even-if-software-company-says-you-cant/

The way to do it is to find a seller and agree
... See more
The European Court of Justice has ruled that a software licence can be sold, even if the software company says it can't:

https://www.techdirt.com/2012/07/03/eu-court-says-yes-you-can-resell-your-software-even-if-software-company-says-you-cant/

The way to do it is to find a seller and agree on the price, and then contact Trados support to ask them to transfer the licence. They don't like to do it, but they do it when they have to.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Metin Demirel
Rachel Waddington
Angie Garbarino

Linda Larsson (X)
Sweden
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 21, 2022

Great information! Thanks!

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:14
English to Russian
Even if you can sell it from a legal standpoint, Mar 21, 2022

you have to transfer your email box to the new owner too. They will need it to receive information from RWS like updates, news, support replies, etc.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
New user Mar 21, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

you have to transfer your email box to the new owner too. They will need it to receive information from RWS like updates, news, support replies, etc.

You do that by adding a user to the Trados account and deactivating the existing one. That gives the new owner control.

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Flies in ointment??? Mar 21, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

The way to do it is to find a seller and agree on the price, and then contact Trados support to ask them to transfer the licence. They don't like to do it, but they do it when they have to.

1. RWS is, or was, a British company, so is it still bound by pesky EU red tape requiring fairness and decency and similarly outdated concepts?

2. Do those rules apply to businesses such as translators or just consumers?

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:14
German to English
No problem there Mar 21, 2022

Hi Linda,

All you need to do is find somebody you'd like to sell it to and, as Thomas Frost says, add them as a user. There's no legal impediment in the EU to selling software licenses you own (I've done it myself).

Robin

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Me too Mar 21, 2022

RobinB wrote:

Hi Linda,

All you need to do is find somebody you'd like to sell it to and, as Thomas Frost says, add them as a user. There's no legal impediment in the EU to selling software licenses you own (I've done it myself).

Robin

I have bought and sold the 2014 that way, then I bought 2019 directly, never had a single problem.

expressisverbis

Linda Larsson (X)
Sweden
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Add as a user Mar 21, 2022

When you say add them as a user, as a contact? Do they still need to use me and my account or can I transfer the whole account to them?

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Admin contact Mar 21, 2022

Linda Larsson wrote:

When you say add them as a user, as a contact? Do they still need to use me and my account or can I transfer the whole account to them?

This is what then SDL said:

'The easiest thing to do since Thomas has only the requested license in his account is for Thomas to add you to his account as admin and then remove Thomas from the account he has. This would require 5 minutes on Thomas ,log into the SDL account – Account details.'

It is the new user/contact that has to remove the old. I believe this transfers the entire account. If there is more than one licence in the account, a different procedure may be required.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm retiring. I want to sell my Trados Studio 2021.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »