Error message Trados Studio 2017: Cannot find file type definition with id...
Thread poster: Julie Giovanelli
Julie Giovanelli
Julie Giovanelli
Germany
Local time: 14:12
German to French
+ ...
Mar 24, 2022

Hi, I desperately try to import the settings file my client sent in Trados Studio 2017. I reset Trados, but I still get an error message that says that it is unable to find a file type definition file with another ID. I guess it is an old file type definition that I used for another client, but I do not have it anymore on my computer :-/ I also tried to rename the current file with the exact same name that Trados is searching, but it also does not work. I can open and translate my XML files in t... See more
Hi, I desperately try to import the settings file my client sent in Trados Studio 2017. I reset Trados, but I still get an error message that says that it is unable to find a file type definition file with another ID. I guess it is an old file type definition that I used for another client, but I do not have it anymore on my computer :-/ I also tried to rename the current file with the exact same name that Trados is searching, but it also does not work. I can open and translate my XML files in the editor since Trados use another file type definition for XML, but in order to avoid problems when delivering the files, I would like to use my client's file. Has anyone a solution? Thanks a lot!Collapse

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Some ideas Mar 25, 2022

Please write clearly: what is the file extension (the characters after the period)?

You may try to open the file in Word, OpenOffice etc. and then write it under another extension like DOCX, ODT etc. Or ask your client to send this file again in any of Word-compatible formats.

In short, try to discuss and agree this issue with your client.

BTW sometimes simple solutions suffice like adding a single sign (just any character on the keyboard) to the file and
... See more
Please write clearly: what is the file extension (the characters after the period)?

You may try to open the file in Word, OpenOffice etc. and then write it under another extension like DOCX, ODT etc. Or ask your client to send this file again in any of Word-compatible formats.

In short, try to discuss and agree this issue with your client.

BTW sometimes simple solutions suffice like adding a single sign (just any character on the keyboard) to the file and saving it under another title/name. Do not forget to remove such sign from the source column before you start to translate.

HTH

[Modifié le 2022-03-25 12:46 GMT]
Collapse

Julie Giovanelli
Julie Giovanelli
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File extension .sdlftsettings Mar 25, 2022

Thanks! The file extension is .sdlftsettings. It is a file type definition in order to read and edit XML files in Trados' Editor. I have not problem with the XML files, just with the this .sdlftsettings file that Trados refuses to import.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message Trados Studio 2017: Cannot find file type definition with id...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »