Trados Studio Freelance: Can I save and email a ".sdlproj"?
Thread poster: Alison Trujillo
Alison Trujillo
Alison Trujillo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:13
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
Mar 25, 2022

Hi everyone,

I'd like to send a colleague a whole project file so they can see what's already been translated and make edits to the target translations. I believe I would be sending ".sdlproj" file. Is this possible with Trados Studio Freelance?

Thanks,
Alison

Paolo Sebastiani
Paolo Sebastiani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:13
English to Italian
+ ...
No you cannot send out .sdlproj file Mar 25, 2022

Hi Alison, absolutely not. You can't send anyone the .sdlproj file because it will only work on your PC.
If you like to send someone your Project the only way you could do it is sending out a Package. But you can only create a Package if you have a Professional edition. If you don't have it, as I assume, the only file you can send your colleage is the sdlxliff file along with the TM and TB if you have any.
Ready to help you out if you need more help.
Regards
Paolo

Samuel Murray
Jaime Oriard
Min Xuanping

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Export for Bilingual Review Mar 26, 2022

Alison Trujillo wrote:

Hi everyone,
I'd like to send a colleague a whole project file so they can see what's already been translated and make edits to the target translations. I believe I would be sending ".sdlproj" file. Is this possible with Trados Studio Freelance?
Thanks,
Alison

An alternative to creating a package would be to export the project for bilingual review. I think this is a better way than create the package, since you can open the blilingual review in Word. Then your collegues can do edits in the file too without having to work in Studio.

Jorge Payan

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You can ZIP the whole directory of the project Mar 27, 2022

Make a ZIP of all the files and folders of the project directory and send it to your colleague.

Your colleague should unzip the ZIP file and open the project file.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Alison Mar 27, 2022

Alison Trujillo wrote:
... so they can see what's already been translated and make edits to the target translations.

If all you need is for them to be able to see which segments have already been translated, and for them to be able to edit existing translations, then all you need to send them is the SDLXLIFF file.

Of course, if they do edit the SDLXLIFF file and send it back to you, then it won't automatically update your TM. To tell Trados to update the TM based on the latest version of the SDLXLIFF file, right-click the the SDLXLIFF file in the list, and select e.g. "Update Main Translation Memories".

And of course, if you have continued to edit the SDLXLIFF file yourself, and they send you their version of it, their edits won't be applied to your version of the file automatically.

It goes without saying, but if you send them only the SDLXLIFF file, then they won't have access to your glossaries or TMs in case they want to consult those resources separately.

Yossi Rozenman wrote:
Make a ZIP of all the files and folders of the project directory and send it to your colleague.
Your colleague should unzip the ZIP file and open the project file.

Just to clarify, to "open the project file" in this case means to e.g. double-click the SDLPROJ file. Trados will then add that project to its project list (your colleague may have to scroll to the bottom of the list to see it).

Roy Oestensen wrote:
An alternative ... would be to export the project for bilingual review.

If you do this, then it is *very important* not to edit the project on your own computer while your colleague is editing the exported DOCX files, otherwise Trados will refuse to import it.

Jorge Payan

Alison Trujillo
Alison Trujillo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:13
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the guidance Mar 27, 2022

Hi all,

Thank you for the guidance. I am going to try out sending the sdlxliff file first to see if that workflow is acceptable. @Samuel Murray, I wasn’t aware that I could choose to update the TM in the way you explained, so I’ll definitely explore that.

@Yossi Rozenman: Could my colleague unzip the file and then create, for example, an EN UK>EN US project? This would prevent her from being able to see the original Spanish text, but at least I would be able to see
... See more
Hi all,

Thank you for the guidance. I am going to try out sending the sdlxliff file first to see if that workflow is acceptable. @Samuel Murray, I wasn’t aware that I could choose to update the TM in the way you explained, so I’ll definitely explore that.

@Yossi Rozenman: Could my colleague unzip the file and then create, for example, an EN UK>EN US project? This would prevent her from being able to see the original Spanish text, but at least I would be able to see the changes she makes to the target text…she says that she cannot create a project for the same language but I think she can create one for different language variations.

@Roy Oestenson: Yes, I like this suggestion. Unfortunately the TM wouldn’t get updated, but I guess that’s what I have to work with because I have the Freelance edition.

@Paolo Sebastiani, correct, just Freelance. Thanks.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio Freelance: Can I save and email a ".sdlproj"?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »