Thread poster: JEAN-PAUL ROY (X)
JEAN-PAUL ROY (X)
JEAN-PAUL ROY (X)
Local time: 18:12
English to French
+ ...
Feb 5, 2012

Hello,

I am thinking of going from sole trader to a limited company for which I would be the sole shareholder, sole director and sole employee.
Has any of you done this? If so could you please tell me what my balance sheet and p&l account should include as an absolute minimum to be accepted by HMRC ?

(I know I could ask an accountant but I would ideally like to save the GBP320 he is prepared to charge for this service).

I would be grateful for any
... See more
Hello,

I am thinking of going from sole trader to a limited company for which I would be the sole shareholder, sole director and sole employee.
Has any of you done this? If so could you please tell me what my balance sheet and p&l account should include as an absolute minimum to be accepted by HMRC ?

(I know I could ask an accountant but I would ideally like to save the GBP320 he is prepared to charge for this service).

I would be grateful for any advice.
Collapse

Mirelluk
Mirelluk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Business Link Feb 6, 2012

You will find some information from this link:

See more
You will find some information from this link:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1081677261&type=CAMPAIGN&site=1000&furlname=taxhelp&furlparam=taxhelp&ref=http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/businesses/tmastarting-up-in-business.shtml&domain=www.businesslink.gov.uk

Good luck, M
Collapse

JEAN-PAUL ROY (X)
JEAN-PAUL ROY (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Business Link Feb 6, 2012

Thank you very much for your reply,

In fact, after writing my post last night, I found out that everything is 'clearly' explained on the HMRC website, which contains a demo of their company accounts joint online filing service.

Eddie Lepante
Eddie Lepante  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:12
Member (2012)
English to French
self-produced ltd company accounts Mar 7, 2012

Hello Jean-Luc,

If your accountant charges 350.00 GBP, you are getting a good deal if, of course, his service includes the annual preparation of your company's accounts and their submission to the tax man. Can you pass on his contact details maybe ? Most accountant would charge over £1000.00 a year for this.

Regards,

Eddie

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Go see an accountant Mar 7, 2012

JEAN-LOUIS LE ROY wrote:

I would be grateful for any advice.

For the self-employed, I do believe that those with the time, inclination, who understand a few basic accounting concepts (and what "wholly and exclusively" means!) and how a spreadsheet works can do it themselves. I do.

Ltd companies - different kettle of fish. Lots more filing requirements, hefty fines for missing them... I'm thinking of doing the same as you, and although I think I've got all the info I need for a proper comparison of the ultimate net earnings (primary class 1 threshold, upper earnings limit, how income tax on dividends is dealt with, etc.), I'm still planning to see an accountant.

Potentially free of charge for the first consultation - see here:

http://www.icaewfirms.co.uk/business/index.php?utm_source=baswebsite&utm_medium=herosearch&utm_campaign=basp

Plus which, whichever status you have, that 320 quid is a deductible expense.

Im my number crunching to compare the earnings/tax between self employment and ltd co, I added £1000 to my costs as a putative company, which I do not pay being s/e at the moment, and I would still have been about £3k better off last financial year if I had been a company. And that's without any legal but crafty tricks the accountant might know to save a bit more.

[Edited at 2012-03-07 13:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-03-07 13:56 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

self-produced ltd company accounts

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »