Thread poster: Eva Bartilucci
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:00
Italian to English
Cambridge Mar 13, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

How about other university towns (strangely, nobody has mentioned Oxford or Cambridge)

I haven't mentioned my local "metropolis" (130,000 population) because although it is one of the UK's primary centres for language studies, Cambridge University doesn't offer a postgrad degree in Interpreting or Translation.

And although it is a beautiful place, students used to the range of attractions in bigger cities tend not to very complimentary about the range of options. It is also nearly as expensive as London, unless you live out of town.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
All university towns Mar 13, 2012

Here's a list of all UK university towns in England, Scotland, Wales, and the North of Ireland:

http://www.lovemytown.co.uk/Universities/UniversitiesTable1

Canterbury might be a good option - it's only about 20 mins from London now on the new fast (but incredibly expensive) trains.

[Edited at 2012-03-13 19:55 GMT]

Eva Bartilucci
Eva Bartilucci  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:00
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TRIPS Mar 13, 2012

Well - after reading all of your detailed pros and cons I would actually like to see quite a lot of places ...however, due to my limited time, I decided to do two trips: With one I'd like to cover Bristol/Bath, Exeter and Portsmouth. They all seem very nice, while every place has its particular features. During the second trip I'd like to explore the north, including Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield.
I already booked a flight
... See more
Well - after reading all of your detailed pros and cons I would actually like to see quite a lot of places ...however, due to my limited time, I decided to do two trips: With one I'd like to cover Bristol/Bath, Exeter and Portsmouth. They all seem very nice, while every place has its particular features. During the second trip I'd like to explore the north, including Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield.
I already booked a flight for my first trip at the beginning of april - so I'd be very happy to meet whoever lives near where I'll be going - simply send me a private message in case you are interested!
AND: No offence to all of you who suggested other places!! It is much appreciated, but at some point, one needs to narrow down the choice of possible locations to those most appealing. Let's see what will happen....

EVA
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Weather Mar 13, 2012

No one has mentioned the weather.

Worth bearing in mind that, as a general rule, the South is warmer than the North and the West is wetter than the East. I hesitate to stereotype anywhere but Manchester does have a reputation for rain! I am sure (in fact I know) that it has many compensations.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I mentioned the weather Mar 13, 2012

Russell Jones wrote:

No one has mentioned the weather.

I had in mind that if weather was no consideration then Edinburgh would be my choice, but I wouldn't call it cheap. Someone else mentioned Edinburgh in the context of weather. Then again there's no telling what the weather will do anywhere these days. I recently spent a week in Edinburgh (in February) and it was considerably warmer than Devon all week.

clairetransl (X)
clairetransl (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Where to live Feb 28, 2013

I've really enjoyed reading this thread! I'm currently thinking about where to go next.

Tom in London wrote:
Anyway I don't see what the OP's problem is with London. London is not all that more expensive than the rest of the UK; it's just that there are more things in London to spend your money on! But if, like me, you're not a big spender, then London can be a wonderful place - and lots of things are free (including some of the greatest museums in the world, the most interesting smaller contemporary galleries, the parks, the river, the people....).

I'd say go for London but avoid dining out in the most expensive restaurants and don't be a shopaholic. If you live outside London you'll be spending a fortune to go there, travelling on the most expensive trains in the world.

"He who is tired of London is tired of life" (Dr. Samuel Johnson). Maybe some of the people who will be at the forthcoming London PowWow will back me up !

[Edited at 2012-03-13 13:13 GMT]

I have to say, I think that's totally inaccurate. I've spent the last 3 years in London and love it, but find the cost of living astronomical. I've been looking at rental prices and they're even higher now than they were last year - generally 2 or 3 times as much as you pay in most other cities, for quite low-quality accommodation. I would love to stay in London, but I think it's just too expensive. I haven't been able to find a decent one-bed in a safe area that isn't miles out for much less than £1000.

I'm also in the position of needing to live in a city with a considerable number of language schools/colleges, so that I can teach English for 12-15 hours a week. I considered Brighton, but it's almost as expensive as London, as are Oxford and Cambridge.

I have looked at rental prices in Bristol and Bath and was pleasantly surprised. There are some beautiful flats available there for quite reasonable prices and there seems to be quite a lot of work around in Bristol too. What's the catch?

I'm also considering Sheffield, as the rental prices are really low. Does anyone know what it's like to live there? I've heard varying reports, ranging from 'it's a dump' to 'it's a wonderful city with loads of green spaces'. I assume there wouldn't be much TEFL work there.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Recommended location in the UK

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »