Thread poster: OlafK
OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:39
English to German
+ ...
Jan 23, 2013

I get more and more requests from agencies based in London (UK) looking for a German translator or editor to work in a client's London office. They usually address me by name, so it's not mass email, and sometimes state where they found me (CIoL Website for example). They are clearly looking for a qualified, experienced professional but they don't ask me how much I charge, they actually tell me how much they're willing to pay. Usually GBP20 per hour and today I received an email from an agency t... See more
I get more and more requests from agencies based in London (UK) looking for a German translator or editor to work in a client's London office. They usually address me by name, so it's not mass email, and sometimes state where they found me (CIoL Website for example). They are clearly looking for a qualified, experienced professional but they don't ask me how much I charge, they actually tell me how much they're willing to pay. Usually GBP20 per hour and today I received an email from an agency that offered GBP15 per hour. We're talking about London here, one of the most expensive cities in the world, and they require a German linguist locally. I used to reply with my rates but I just delete these emails now. My question is: Are there any German translators in London working for that kind of money? Can you own up please? I'd like to have a word with you ...

Please not that the title was changed by proz staff. My original title was a bit snappier and I'm not really seeking input at all.

[Edited at 2013-01-23 23:29 GMT]
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Jan 24, 2013

The problem is that they're agencies, so they're probably charging a 100% markup. £30 or £40 an hour is fairly good money, but £15 or £20 is an insult. And unlike a good translation agency that goes through your work with a fine toothcomb, they're not adding any value.

Have you had any replies, by the way?

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
They can offer the pay they want Jan 25, 2013

but it's up to us to charge what we think we're worth and back it up with experience and/or qualifications. The only people working for £15 an hour are the unqualified ''interpreters'' (in some cases they've only been to a 4 hour ''induction day'' run by the agency) that agencies use to increase their profits.

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no reply to my charges Jan 25, 2013

In response to Phil: No, I've never received a reply when I mentioned how much I charge. The funny thing is, the 15 quid agency has lots of 5 point blueboard entries, athough their overall score is 4.8 (going down). Only one translator mentions low rates. I could now go on a rant as to why these agencies even exist but I'll spare you all.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Seeking input on legitimacy of recent offers from London-based agencies

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »