Thread poster: Ata Arif
Ata Arif
Ata Arif  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:45
Kurdish to English
+ ...
May 22, 2013

I use an accountant for doing my annual returns and dealing with corporate tax, companies house etc...
I am currently not VAT registered but think about becoming voluntary VAT registered.

Reading through other forum entries I have some understanding of VAT and voluntary VAT registration, but the part I am missing is with regard to using an accountant to do that for you. It looks like that most of the people do the VAT accounting by themselves do they do the annual returns and
... See more
I use an accountant for doing my annual returns and dealing with corporate tax, companies house etc...
I am currently not VAT registered but think about becoming voluntary VAT registered.

Reading through other forum entries I have some understanding of VAT and voluntary VAT registration, but the part I am missing is with regard to using an accountant to do that for you. It looks like that most of the people do the VAT accounting by themselves do they do the annual returns and the rest of the accounting by themselves too?

So, my question is that if I go VAT registered do I have to pay even more to my accountant, I wan to get some advice before discussing that with him!

Thank you for your time reading this and possibly replying to me.
Collapse

Liam Collins
Liam Collins
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:45
It depends on the company/circumstance May 24, 2013

Hi there Ata,

If you register for VAT you need to submit quarterly VAT returns and your accountant would usually charge you extra for this. However, you should also look into the possibility of becoming Flat Rate VAT registered. If you are a service company (i.e. not trading in goods) this can be very beneficial and can often cover the extra cost of the Accounting Fees and them some!

As for your question regarding if some people do the VAT themselves and/or annual ret
... See more
Hi there Ata,

If you register for VAT you need to submit quarterly VAT returns and your accountant would usually charge you extra for this. However, you should also look into the possibility of becoming Flat Rate VAT registered. If you are a service company (i.e. not trading in goods) this can be very beneficial and can often cover the extra cost of the Accounting Fees and them some!

As for your question regarding if some people do the VAT themselves and/or annual returns etc. it would differ for every company/circumstance. VAT returns themselves are fairly simple once you learn how so many people do that themselves and then let the accountant do the annuals which are more complicated. It just depends on how comfortable you are doing your own bookkeeping and returns.

Hope that helps.

[Edited at 2013-05-24 14:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-24 14:15 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Voluntary VAT registration and accountant fees

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »