A new grammar and spelling test arrives in primary schools in England this week

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "A new grammar and spelling test arrives in primary schools in England this week".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:34
Hebrew to English
Another Gove inspired disaster waiting to happen. May 14, 2013

Oh it's arrived.....to a resounding unimpressed population. The sooner Gove goes, the better.

You know things are bad when Michael Rosen (a former Laureate) and even linguistic royalty David Crystal have both condemned the move.

David Crystal has actually written a critiq
... See more
Oh it's arrived.....to a resounding unimpressed population. The sooner Gove goes, the better.

You know things are bad when Michael Rosen (a former Laureate) and even linguistic royalty David Crystal have both condemned the move.

David Crystal has actually written a critique of it on his blog:
http://david-crystal.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/on-testing-time.html

[Edited at 2013-05-14 18:47 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 05:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Six of the worst May 14, 2013

Sadly, it seems as if they continue to equate learning stultifying swathes of rules parrot-style with learning the language. Their intentions may have been worthy, but the solution they've come up with is a real clunker. Surely Gove and his motley crew "could do better"... M

PS: Having looked at a sample of today's exam, I must admit that I didn't find it all that bad. Being able to identify adjectives, adverbs and prepositions and insert commas and periods correctly (never mind the
... See more
Sadly, it seems as if they continue to equate learning stultifying swathes of rules parrot-style with learning the language. Their intentions may have been worthy, but the solution they've come up with is a real clunker. Surely Gove and his motley crew "could do better"... M

PS: Having looked at a sample of today's exam, I must admit that I didn't find it all that bad. Being able to identify adjectives, adverbs and prepositions and insert commas and periods correctly (never mind the blessed apostrophe!) doesn't seem all that much to ask and would certainly be a great help for anyone starting to study a foreign language. I think the main problem lies with the ideological drive behind any changes proposed in education and the fact that the politicians laying down the law rarely listen to those with real hands-on experience and knowledge of education and the drawbacks of the current system/s.

[Edited at 2013-05-15 08:35 GMT]
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Ahem ... May 14, 2013

David Crystal has wrote? Er, Ty, perhaps you'd better take that test!

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Oops! May 14, 2013

Jenny Forbes wrote:

David Crystal has wrote? Er, Ty, perhaps you'd better take that test!

That's what you get for trying to write coherent English after almost 12 solid hours of translation. :-/
I was thinking "he wrote", wanted to type "he has written" and ended up with that! Now corrected!

[Edited at 2013-05-14 18:50 GMT]

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Gone to the pictures with Grandpa May 15, 2013

Those who seek to dictate the rules of grammar to others are entering a minefield from which there is no escape, as many have found to their cost. I once spent many happy hours working out how many shades of meaning could be put into the Beatles' lyric "I made the bus in seconds flat". I think I was into treble figures by the time I fell asleep...

"Boy, where's your grammar?"
"Gone to the pictures with Grandpa, Sir!"

Steve K.

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:34
Dutch to English
+ ...
It is about time May 15, 2013

The sample test didn't seem too bad, no. Recognising adverbs, adding prefixes to words to create antonyms (I do believe they should have left the definition of the so-called 'suffix' out, though) and identifying prepositions, is not hard and is knowledge that will be vital later.

Skills are good, but are not more important than (basic) knowledge. Had Einstein never learnt his basic formulae and axioms in physics and mathematics, he would not have developed his theories.

... See more
The sample test didn't seem too bad, no. Recognising adverbs, adding prefixes to words to create antonyms (I do believe they should have left the definition of the so-called 'suffix' out, though) and identifying prepositions, is not hard and is knowledge that will be vital later.

Skills are good, but are not more important than (basic) knowledge. Had Einstein never learnt his basic formulae and axioms in physics and mathematics, he would not have developed his theories.

And no we are not all gifted when it comes to repeating and remembering rules, but it's a fact of life. A driving instructor is not going to wait for you to look up the traffic rules or a sign when you are doing your driving test, is he?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new grammar and spelling test arrives in primary schools in England this week

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »