Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to select multiple segments in WF Pro?
Thread poster: Leopoldo Gurman
Aurelio Alvarez Ibarra
Aurelio Alvarez Ibarra
Mexico
Local time: 16:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
That answer killed the post... Jul 2, 2022

John Di Rico wrote:

Willem Wunderink wrote:

If basic features like 'Select all segments' or 'Select segments' (by clicking ID's and hold Shift for example) are still not built in, the program is hopelessly antique and way behind in development.
It strikes me that John Di Rico, Wordfast Manager Training and Sales, doesn't seem to have a clue what translating is about: he needs to ask us what the benefits are!.... It's like asking a bike rider about the benefits of a pedal....
Anyway, six years later Wordfast has not been upgraded, whilst all professional programs like MemoQ are developped and enhanced with the speed of lightning, so I conclude that Wordfast is bound to die a soft death.

Dear Willem,

I have many clues as to what translating is about. Besides a master’s degree in transation and localization management from the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, I have been translating more or less full time since 2005.

In fact, in 16 years of translating with a CAT tool, I recall wanting to multi-select segments only once. In the end, I managed to do what I wanted using the segment filtering feature (available from Wordfast Pro 4.x and up). Hence the reason I asked others to share their use cases (not benefits, which usually are to perform work better, faster, or more easily).

Interestingly, the initial post was made for the legacy version of Wordfast Pro (version 3.x), which did not have a feature to filter segments.

Since then, only a handful of people have requested this feature which perhaps means that the majority of users might not be missing it. Then again, perhaps the silent majority is doing what they do best, remaining silent!

I can only encourage you and others to submit a feedback report via Wordfast Pro to request this feature. These reports go directly to the development team and are helpful for prioritizing improvements, new features, and bug fixes for each release.

Basically, saying "I don't use that feature, so nobody should need it" killed the post, and (along with Xuling Wu) my plan to pay for Wordfast...

Wolfgang Schoene

Gabriel Torem
Gabriel Torem  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Clearing several segment translations in WFPro Jun 29, 2023

I attempted Samuel's solution, but for some reason I had an error message when reimporting the bilingual file. Another workaround that I can suggest is going to the Quicktools menu, splitting de document, clearing all segments in the part that is to be cleared, and merging it back again from the same menu.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Leopoldo Gurman wrote:
I can do both things one segment at a time, I'm just wondering how to apply this to multiple segments simultaneously.

No, it can't be done. It cannot be done. If you need to do this on the fly, then you're in trouble.

If, however, you only need to do this once or twice, then you can use the bilingual review export feature to export the TXML file to DOC, edit the segments in the DOC file, and then import it back again. You can clear segments in this way, but you can't e.g. mark segments as edited (not unless you export and import twice).

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:15
English to French
+ ...
Possible way Jun 30, 2023

Leopoldo Gurman wrote:

Hi colleagues!
I'd like to mark the first part as confirmed and remove the target text from the second part (it's just the source text repeated, this comes from a presegmented ttx).

Leo

Here is how I would do this. Not ideal but it should work.

Step 1:
Gor to your transcheck settings and make sure copied source is ticked. If you feel you may get false positives from the first part, take a screenshot of your transcheck settings (to revert them later), untick everything but “copied source”.

Step 2:
Run transcheck

Step 3:
In the txlf editor, above the target column, find the drop-down called “select Special Filter(s)”. Then select in the list “segments with Transcheck Warnings”. One it’s selected, click once on the magnifying glass on the right of the drop down. You will now see ONLY the segments with Transckeck warnings (copied source in this case).

Step 4:
Go to the the Translation Tab / Clear Target / down arrow / and click on “Clear all targets” and accepts the warning. (Don’t worry, if you don’t save the file, you can undo). This will clear the target for ONLY the displayed (filtered) segments.

Step 5:
Next to the “Select Special Filters” drop down, find the blue “X” on the right and click on it. This will now display all the segments from the file.

Step 6:
Go back to segment 1, place you cursor in the target. Click on Commit All. After that all the segments with a translated target will be committed to the TM and their state should change to translated.
Oh, and if everything looks right, “save” off course!
That’s it.

That’s how I would go about this with what Wordfast Pro can do at this date.
Hope this helps someone.
My bests

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:15
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Or use/switch to... Jul 2, 2023

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Leopoldo Gurman wrote:

Hi colleagues!
I'd like to mark the first part as confirmed and remove the target text from the second part (it's just the source text repeated, this comes from a presegmented ttx).

That’s how I would go about this with what Wordfast Pro can do at this date.
Hope this helps someone.
My bests

... MemoQ, DejaVu, Studio, Cafetran ...

[Edited at 2023-07-02 10:06 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to select multiple segments in WF Pro?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »