Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:39
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
thanks, but that's just another workaround and not a great solution Aug 10, 2023

Philippe Locquet wrote:

I can't open Pro right now but from memory, I'm pretty sure there is an option in the drop down segment filter to display "unconfirmed segments" only.
This means you will see grouped in the editor only unconfirmed segments and still see your context in the live preview. Anyone tried this?

Hi Philippe,

Thanks, but that's not really good enough. memoQ, and many other CAT tools can also filter on various things, but what we really need is a simple shortcut. I'm surprised Wordfast users haven't made a fuss about this yet, after all these years of missing such a basic feature.

Wolfgang Schoene

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:39
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Fuss Aug 10, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:

Philippe Locquet wrote:

I can't open Pro right now but from memory, I'm pretty sure there is an option in the drop down segment filter to display "unconfirmed segments" only.
This means you will see grouped in the editor only unconfirmed segments and still see your context in the live preview. Anyone tried this?

Hi Philippe,

Thanks, but that's not really good enough. memoQ, and many other CAT tools can also filter on various things, but what we really need is a simple shortcut. I'm surprised Wordfast users haven't made a fuss about this yet, after all these years of missing such a basic feature.

I'm afraid you can make as much fuss as you want, as long as there's nobody listening on the developers' side to implement features translators ask for, it's like shouting in the desert!

Lingua 5B

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
if Wordfast would listen to its users better it might've fared better in recent Proz CAT tool report Aug 13, 2023

Perhaps if Wordfast would listen to its users better it might have fared better in this recent report on CAT tools:

https://www2.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/363352-new_industry_report_on_cat_tools_now_available.html

Wordfast scores pretty bad throughout.

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Jump to next unconfirmed segment shortcut working for next Wordfast Anywhere release Aug 31, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:
what we really need is a simple shortcut.

Hi,
Happy to report that the developers have worked on that feature. Before it existed to skip all populated targets until it reached an empty segment, now the function has been extended to unconfirmed segments.

In the screenshot below, here is what you’ll see:
_The segments in yellow on the left and at the end of the segment ont the right are marked as unconfirmed. In Wordfast Anywhere, unconfirmed segments are called “Provisional”.
_There are two buttons JUMP E (n.e.), jumps until an empty segment is reaches and JUMP P (n.p.) jumps until it reaches a provisional segment.
_The function (button) is play/stop style and can be initiated/stopped with the same keyboard shortcut of your choice
_1st file example: this is a txlf coming from Wordfast Pro with two Provisional (unconfirmed) segments. The first segment is opened via double click. JUMP P is initiated (button becomes red). Upon moving to the next segment (Alt down), Wordfast Anywhere jumps until it reaches the first provisional segment and opens it for editing.
_2nf file example: this txlf was created in WFA and has only 1 Provisional segment. No segment is opened. JUMP P is initiated. Upon starting translation (Alt Down) WFA skips and opens directly the only Provisional (unconfirmed) segment. The jump sequence is stopped by click or keyboard shortcut and the button goes back to green.

I hope that’s what users are looking for.
Be well

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
I don't think this is what (at least) I am looking for. Aug 31, 2023

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
what we really need is a simple shortcut.

Hi,
Happy to report that the developers have worked on that feature. Before it existed to skip all populated targets until it reached an empty segment, now the function has been extended to unconfirmed segments.

In the screenshot below, here is what you’ll see:
_The segments in yellow on the left and at the end of the segment ont the right are marked as unconfirmed. In Wordfast Anywhere, unconfirmed segments are called “Provisional”.

[ ...]

I hope that’s what users are looking for.
Be well

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was all about Wordfast Pro 8. I took a quick look again at WFP 8.6.1 but no such feature has been implemented (yet).

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
in the text Aug 31, 2023

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was all about Wordfast Pro 8. I took a quick look again at WFP 8.6.1 but no such feature has been implemented (yet).

Yes the thread was about Pro. But since Wordfast Anywhere is Wordfast software (free when you have purchased a Pro license), I thought it might be useful to know for some.
The title of the post explains it's available in the ***future*** release of the update of ***Wordfast Anywhere***.
I hope this clarifies

Regarding Pro, I think John Di Rico had posted a few things earlier, I'm sure he'll get back to give updates when there's some information to share.

Be well

[Edited at 2023-09-01 13:08 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks for the tip Philippe! Aug 31, 2023

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Yes the thread was about Pro. But since Wordfast Anywhere is Wordfast software (free when you have purchased a Pro license), I thought it might be useful to know for some.
The title of the post explains it's available in the ***future*** release of the new version of ***Wordfast Anywhere***.
I hope this clarifies

Regarding Pro, I think John Di Rico had posted a few things earlier, I'm sure he'll get back to give updates when there's some information to share.

Be well

Indeed, it would be great if they added it to the regular Wf version, although it might be another reason to have a look at the (new) Wordfast Anywhere, although I doubt I will be leaving my trusty memoQ anytime soon.

Philippe Locquet

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Talking with devs Sep 7, 2023

Hello,
I just wanted to let you know that this is under consideration. I believe alt+ctl+down arrow is an unassigned shortcut that could be used for this.

The ticket is now:" "User wants a shortcut key (alt+ctl+down arrow) that writes the currently open segment to the TM, marks the segment as Translated, and then goes to the next segment whose status is set to "Needs Translation".

I'll keep you posted.

Best,
John

Hans Lenting

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
thanks! Sep 11, 2023

John Di Rico wrote:

Hello,
I just wanted to let you know that this is under consideration. I believe alt+ctl+down arrow is an unassigned shortcut that could be used for this.

The ticket is now:" "User wants a shortcut key (alt+ctl+down arrow) that writes the currently open segment to the TM, marks the segment as Translated, and then goes to the next segment whose status is set to "Needs Translation".

I'll keep you posted.

Best,
John

Thanks John,

That's exactly what we want.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Icon name and shortcut Oct 6, 2023

Any suggestions for:
What the icon should be called?
Where it should be (which tab and placement in the ribbon)?
What should the shortcut be?

My ideas for the name and shortcut: Next Needs and Ctl + Enter
Icon placement: Dropdown of Next Segment? Or to the left of "Until Fuzzy" and in that same group of actions.

Thanks in advance,
John

Michael Beijer

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
your suggestions are great! Oct 6, 2023

John Di Rico wrote:

Any suggestions for:

Icon placement: Dropdown of Next Segment? Or to the left of "Until Fuzzy" and in that same group of actions.

Thanks in advance,
John

Hi John,

I think your suggestions are great! Ctl + Enter is in fact what I use in memoQ, to do exactly the same.

Once this is implemented this might make me decide to have a look at Wordfast once again. My main CAT tool is memoQ (and I use Studio if a client insists). However, I like to keep an eye on other CAT tools except there are a few things that are game-stoppers for me, such as no way to quickly jump to the next unconfirmed segment with a keyboard shortcut.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
and ... Oct 6, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:

John Di Rico wrote:

Any suggestions for:

Thanks in advance,
John

Hi John,

I think your suggestions are great! Ctl + Enter is in fact what I use in memoQ, to do exactly the same.

Once this is implemented this might make me decide to have a look at Wordfast once again. My main CAT tool is memoQ (and I use Studio if a client insists). However, I like to keep an eye on other CAT tools except there are a few things that are game-stoppers for me, such as no way to quickly jump to the next unconfirmed segment with a keyboard shortcut.

- multiple segment selection
- pinning active segment in the middle of the grid
- making the drag'n drop feature consistent (selection of the word often disappears on trying to move it)
- etc.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
When will this be implemented? Dec 6, 2023

John Di Rico wrote:

Any suggestions for:

Thanks in advance,
John

Hi John,

I'm currently test-driving Wordfast Pro 8.8.0, build ID 20230922-1432, which doesn't seem to have it yet.

Wolfgang Schoene

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Agreed Dec 7, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:

John Di Rico wrote:

Any suggestions for:

Thanks in advance,
John

Hi John,

I'm currently test-driving Wordfast Pro 8.8.0, build ID 20230922-1432, which doesn't seem to have it yet.

And so much more is still missing...

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
indeed Dec 7, 2023

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

John Di Rico wrote:

Any suggestions for:

Thanks in advance,
John

Hi John,

And so much more is still missing...

That's why my daily driver is memoQ. However, I like to keep an eye on what the others are doing.

Wolfgang Schoene

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Go to next unconfirmed segment

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »