Anyone conversant with the ancient South Arabian alphabet Musnad?
Thread poster: Extant
Extant
Extant
Greek (Ancient) to English
Dec 7, 2008

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with Musnad, which is an ancient South Arbian alphabet? I'm looking for anyone who can translate a single word or phrase I have come across. Its difficult to find resources for my query online.

Or does anyone have any links for people offering translation services in this area?

Many thanks if anyone can help.

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Limited familiarity Dec 8, 2008

I know the shapes of the letters and to which sounds they correspond. That in itself would not produce a translation, but it would give a clue.

Extant
Extant
TOPIC STARTER
Here are the characters. Dec 8, 2008

Thank you for your reply Fuad.

I'm interested in finding out if the characters in the following picture actually are some sort of Musnad alphabet derivative. The photo comes from a Sky News story that I think is quite possibly false.
It is said in the article that the characters are from the Musnad alphabet, but I've been only able to find one definite correspondence for a single character using online resources.
The rest are unknown it seems.

Here is the
... See more
Thank you for your reply Fuad.

I'm interested in finding out if the characters in the following picture actually are some sort of Musnad alphabet derivative. The photo comes from a Sky News story that I think is quite possibly false.
It is said in the article that the characters are from the Musnad alphabet, but I've been only able to find one definite correspondence for a single character using online resources.
The rest are unknown it seems.

Here is the photo:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/3090426205_ce2448c396_o.jpg

On previewing my post it seems that it won't show the picture, but that links straight to my Flickr photo page.

If you don't want to go there, here is the Sky News URL where the photo is featured in a gallery of shots:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Brits-Peruvian-Rock-Formation-Claims/Media-Gallery/200812115171941?lpos=UK_News_Article_Related_Content_Region_1&lid=GALLERY_15171941_Brits_Peruvian_Rock_Formation_Claims_

It's the third picture in the gallery.

If you can help at all that would be superb, but I have a feeling that this story is bogus.
Collapse

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
My best shot Dec 8, 2008

I was able to get to both the Flicker page and the Sky page, but was unable to see the picture or the story in Sky, so I still do not know the story behind this picture or why these shapes are thought to represent characters, much less Musnadi characters. If they do, then, without claiming any professional expertise, my best shot is that they would represent the following sounds, from right to left:
خ
ظ
د
س

Of course, I have no idea what they mean.

Extant
Extant
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks. Dec 8, 2008

That's great Fuad. Thanks for your time.

This is the full story from Sky News: See more
That's great Fuad. Thanks for your time.

This is the full story from Sky News: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/British-Archaeoastronomer-To-Prove-Claims-About-Worlds-Largest-Rock-Formations-Found-In-Peru/Article/200812115171902?lpos=UK_News_First_Strange_News__Article_Teaser_Region__3&lid=ARTICLE_15171902_British_Archaeoastronomer_To_Prove_Claims_About_Worlds_Largest_Rock_Formations_Found_In_Peru_

Someone claims that he found massive stone carvings in rock formations in Peru, and claims that they are part of some sort of huge outdoor temple complex.
It ties into the sort of "alternative archaeology" that is so prevalent today.
The writing that he seems to think is a Musnadi alphabet is featured on one of the rock carvings.
Or so he says.

Therefore he's suggesting that peoples from the greater middle eastern area travelled thousands of miles, thousands of years ago to Peru and constructed a massive temple for some undefined reason.

I remain open minded to possibilities and just wanted to see if anything could be confirmed in the alphabet he believes is present there.

Its probably bogus though.

Thanks again for your help.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone conversant with the ancient South Arabian alphabet Musnad?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »