Can anyone read my grandmother's pendant?
Thread poster: jamsessionein
jamsessionein
jamsessionein
English
Dec 9, 2008

Apparently, this belonged to my Grandmother, who died before I was born, and my father's kept it all these years. He gave it to me the other day, and I asked him what it said. He either didn't know or didn't want to tell me, because I didn't get an answer.

This is all pretty much alien to me, so I haven't even the tiniest inkling of what it says, but I find myself intently curious about it because I never got to meet my grandmother, and I'd like to know what it is that she carried w
... See more
Apparently, this belonged to my Grandmother, who died before I was born, and my father's kept it all these years. He gave it to me the other day, and I asked him what it said. He either didn't know or didn't want to tell me, because I didn't get an answer.

This is all pretty much alien to me, so I haven't even the tiniest inkling of what it says, but I find myself intently curious about it because I never got to meet my grandmother, and I'd like to know what it is that she carried with her.

Can anyone enlighten me? I'd really appreciate it.
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
Verse from the Quran Dec 9, 2008

The text is a verse from the Quran, specifically verse 255 from Surat al-Baqara chapter.
The verse is known as "Ayat al-Kursi" (Verse of the Throne) and is often recited to seek God's protection, calm somebody etc.

للّهُ لاَ إِلَـهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الْحَيُّ الْقَيُّومُ لاَ تَأْخُذُهُ سِنَةٌ وَلاَ نَوْمٌ لَّهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الأَرْضِ مَن ذَا ال�
... See more
The text is a verse from the Quran, specifically verse 255 from Surat al-Baqara chapter.
The verse is known as "Ayat al-Kursi" (Verse of the Throne) and is often recited to seek God's protection, calm somebody etc.

للّهُ لاَ إِلَـهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الْحَيُّ الْقَيُّومُ لاَ تَأْخُذُهُ سِنَةٌ وَلاَ نَوْمٌ لَّهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الأَرْضِ مَن ذَا الَّذِي يَشْفَعُ عِنْدَهُ إِلاَّ بِإِذْنِهِ يَعْلَمُ مَا بَيْنَ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَمَا خَلْفَهُمْ وَلاَ يُحِيطُونَ بِشَيْءٍ مِّنْ عِلْمِهِ إِلاَّ بِمَا شَاء وَسِعَ كُرْسِيُّهُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالأَرْضَ وَلاَ يَؤُودُهُ حِفْظُهُمَا وَهُوَ الْعَلِيُّ الْعَظِيمُ

Here's one translation (Shakir):

Allah is He besides Whom there is no god, the Everliving, the Self-subsisting by Whom all subsist; slumber does not overtake Him nor sleep; whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His; who is he that can intercede with Him but by His permission? He knows what is before them and what is behind them, and they cannot comprehend anything out of His knowledge except what He pleases, His knowledge extends over the heavens and the earth, and the preservation of them both tires Him not, and He is the Most High, the Great.
Collapse

jamsessionein
jamsessionein
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 9, 2008

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
100%accurate Dec 9, 2008

Nesrin's answer is 100% accurate...

It starts with "In the Name of Allah. Most Gracious, Most Merciful." as any Quran verse...Then you have the translation given...

i.e.

In the Name of Allah. Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Allah is He besides Whom there is no god, the Everliving, the Self-subsisting by Whom all subsist; slumber does not overtake Him nor sleep; whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His; who is he that c
... See more
Nesrin's answer is 100% accurate...

It starts with "In the Name of Allah. Most Gracious, Most Merciful." as any Quran verse...Then you have the translation given...

i.e.

In the Name of Allah. Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Allah is He besides Whom there is no god, the Everliving, the Self-subsisting by Whom all subsist; slumber does not overtake Him nor sleep; whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His; who is he that can intercede with Him but by His permission? He knows what is before them and what is behind them, and they cannot comprehend anything out of His knowledge except what He pleases, His knowledge extends over the heavens and the earth, and the preservation of them both tires Him not, and He is the Most High, the Great.

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

الله لا اله الا هو الحي القيوم لا تأخذه سنة ولا نوم له ما في السماوات وما في الارض من ذا الذي يشفع عنده الا باذنه يعلم ما بين ايديهم وما خلفهم ولا يحيطون بشيء من علمه الا بما شاء وسع كرسيه السماوات والأرض ولا يؤوده حفظهما وهو العلي العظيم

[Edited at 2008-12-09 20:52 GMT]
Collapse

Najwa Al-Nabulsi
Najwa Al-Nabulsi
Syria
Local time: 14:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
110% correct Dec 10, 2008

Dear Nesrin,

Thank you! I love your translation it is perfect and so nice.
Najwa

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanks Najwa... Dec 10, 2008

Najwa Al-Nabulsi wrote:

Dear Nesrin,

Thank you! I love your translation it is perfect and so nice.
Najwa

...but I wish it was my translation! I got it from here, where you can find a variety of different translations http://www.qurantoday.com/BaqSec34.htm (I picked Shakir's).

zkt
zkt  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 14:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
More info Dec 10, 2008

This verse is commonly worn as a protection. It is called Ayat ul Kursi or the verse of the throne
According to several Hadiths it is one of the best verses of the Quran

When you lie down in your bed, recite ayat al-Kursi, Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists… [al-Baraqah 2:255] until the end of the ayah, then you will have a protector from Allah and no shaytan (devil) will
... See more
This verse is commonly worn as a protection. It is called Ayat ul Kursi or the verse of the throne
According to several Hadiths it is one of the best verses of the Quran

When you lie down in your bed, recite ayat al-Kursi, Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists… [al-Baraqah 2:255] until the end of the ayah, then you will have a protector from Allah and no shaytan (devil) will come near you until morning comes
[Sahih al-Bukhari]

Abu Hurairah (radiAllahu anhu) narrated; In Surah al-Baqaraah there is an ayah which is the best of all the ayahs of the Qur’an. It is never recited in a house but the Shaytan leaves: Ayat al-Kursi.

Everything has its pinnacle and the pinnacle of the Qur’an is Surah al-Baqarah. In it there is an ayah which is the greatest in the Qur’an: Ayat al-Kursi
[at-Tirmidhi]

Hope this is helpful,

All the best,

Zeina
Collapse

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
That's right Dec 10, 2008

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

You're right of course, Mohamed. Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can anyone read my grandmother's pendant?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »