Arabic novels that use a mixture of MSA and a Levantine dialect?
Thread poster: Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Local time: 04:17
English to German
Jun 16, 2009

I'm trying to get more familiar with spoken Arabic. So far I read an old book by إحسان عبد القدوس with the help of a native Arab tutor. The book was written in MSA, but all dialogs where in Egyptian dialect. I'd like to do the same with a book that features MSA and dialect parts in a Levantine dialect (preferably Lebanese). Can anybody recommend any interesting, easy to read books that meet these requirements?

Olaf

Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:17
English to Arabic
I am not quite sure about this Jun 17, 2009

But you might find what you're looking for in one of Jabra Ibrahim Jabra's novels. I will try to get you more names. Good luck.

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
شكراً على اقتراحك Jun 17, 2009

إنّ جبرا إبرهيم جبرا كتب كتباً كثية. ما هو أحسن كتاب له في رأيك؟

Olaf

zkt
zkt  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 05:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
An excellent translation Jun 17, 2009

Hello Olaf

You can get the excellent translation of Amin Maalouf "Le rocher de Tanios", by Georges Abi
Saleh,
صخرة طانيوس

It combines both MSA and colloquial Lebanese, mostly a language spoken in the villages. The same can be said of the novels (originally written in arabic of Marun Abbud, wonderful writing, a joy to read). I know there are many, but I am not really into lebanese litterature, if I remember another novel I'll let you know.
<
... See more
Hello Olaf

You can get the excellent translation of Amin Maalouf "Le rocher de Tanios", by Georges Abi
Saleh,
صخرة طانيوس

It combines both MSA and colloquial Lebanese, mostly a language spoken in the villages. The same can be said of the novels (originally written in arabic of Marun Abbud, wonderful writing, a joy to read). I know there are many, but I am not really into lebanese litterature, if I remember another novel I'll let you know.

All the best,

Zeina
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 19:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
I'm trying to get more familiar with spoken Arabic. Jun 17, 2009

Greetings.

Ref the comment in your post "I'm trying to get more familiar with spoken Arabic."

Rather than flail around searching for what seem to be very few available books with Arab text that has been rendered into a Lebanese colloquial, since you want to become more familiar with spoken dialects of Arabic (in this instance, "Beiruti" Lebanese), you might look instead for the more-plentiful "in-dialect" audio materials, such as CDs, audio cassette tapes, Lebanese fil
... See more
Greetings.

Ref the comment in your post "I'm trying to get more familiar with spoken Arabic."

Rather than flail around searching for what seem to be very few available books with Arab text that has been rendered into a Lebanese colloquial, since you want to become more familiar with spoken dialects of Arabic (in this instance, "Beiruti" Lebanese), you might look instead for the more-plentiful "in-dialect" audio materials, such as CDs, audio cassette tapes, Lebanese films, online Radio Monte Carlo, or TV and radio broadcasts from Beirut.

For more-direct and interactive contact [if not immersion] to learn and practice that dialect, you might find and patronize restaurants, delis, "beqaalaat" (grocery & foodstuff stores), and similar establishments which are run by, and/or cater to, Lebanese communities near you.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

[Edited at 2009-06-17 20:22 GMT]
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea, but... Jun 18, 2009

Stephen Franke wrote:

u might look instead for the more-plentiful "in-dialect" audio materials, such as CDs, audio cassette tapes, Lebanese films, online Radio Monte Carlo, or TV and radio broadcasts from Beirut.
[/quote]
Thanks for your suggestions, but since my knowledge of colloquial Arabic is rather rudimentary, I don't think that I'd benefit much from listening to or watching authentic Arabic broadcasts at this time. I'd rather learn more about written colloquial Arabic, which is complicated enough. For example when I first heard "ballash" I assumed that it meant the same as ballaash (بلا شي ء) in Egyptian Arabic, but it doesn't. And when I first saw دخلك I assumed that it was related to دخل. I think that I first need to get the basics down.

Olaf

[Edited at 2009-06-18 15:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic novels that use a mixture of MSA and a Levantine dialect?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »