Literary translation training provision (English-Arabic)
Thread poster: Alice Guthrie
Alice Guthrie
Alice Guthrie
Local time: 10:52
Arabic to English
+ ...
Oct 26, 2010

Dear colleagues,

Does anyone have any info on literary translation training provision in Libya, Algeria, Yemen, Palestine, Mauritania, Sudan?

This is for research purposes, not for my own use.

Many many thanks and greetings!

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 01:52
English to Arabic
+ ...
Details, please, of your interest? Oct 27, 2010

Greetings.

I refer to your query posted on < proz.com >. Kindly clarify what sort of training you are seeking, whether as a translator of Arabic literature or as an interpreter?

Some of the national universities and a few commercial institutions in a number of the countries you mention offer programs for professional training and certification which accords with their respective national standards. Several programs offered by institutes in Yemen and Sudan are somewhat f
... See more
Greetings.

I refer to your query posted on < proz.com >. Kindly clarify what sort of training you are seeking, whether as a translator of Arabic literature or as an interpreter?

Some of the national universities and a few commercial institutions in a number of the countries you mention offer programs for professional training and certification which accords with their respective national standards. Several programs offered by institutes in Yemen and Sudan are somewhat familiar to me.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California, USA
Collapse

Alice Guthrie
Alice Guthrie
Local time: 10:52
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
literary translation training/initiatives in Arab world Oct 27, 2010

Greetings Stephen,

Sorry if my post ended up unclear, I wrote it rather late at night! I had hoped to spell out that, indeed, what I am researching is solely LITERARY translation (including translation theory), Engl-Ar. So I'm looking at university courses – obvious examples include St Joseph Beirut, Roi Fahd Tangiers – publishing initiatives such as Kalima, NTC Egypt, conferences, and of course the (vexed) question of translators' associations.

I would certainly be
... See more
Greetings Stephen,

Sorry if my post ended up unclear, I wrote it rather late at night! I had hoped to spell out that, indeed, what I am researching is solely LITERARY translation (including translation theory), Engl-Ar. So I'm looking at university courses – obvious examples include St Joseph Beirut, Roi Fahd Tangiers – publishing initiatives such as Kalima, NTC Egypt, conferences, and of course the (vexed) question of translators' associations.

I would certainly be extremely grateful for your input on Yemen and Sudan, neither of which I have covered as yet.

I'm working for a large European study on literary translation flows across the Med. I'll be submitting my report tonight (Spanish time) but even after that time any additional information will be most welcome.

Thank you so much for engaging with this!

With very best wishes,
Alice
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Literary translation training provision (English-Arabic)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »