Thread poster: Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
Local time: 22:42
German to French
+ ...
May 17, 2004

Hi,

Arabic is not a language I am working with but only learning for fun.
Perhaps someone here could give me the following information:
- Is there a free e-mail programm for arabic which you can recommend? Does a programm exist where you can mix latin and arabic letters in the message?
- Having bought Word in German, is there a possibility of getting an arabic module for free?

Thanks a lot!

Chademu

Randa Farhat
Randa Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 23:42
English to Arabic
+ ...
not really May 18, 2004

Hello Chademu,

If you mean by e-mail programme something like "Eudora" or "Outlook", the answer is no -up to my knowledge. Yet, you can use "Netscape" Mail. You will have though to download the inclusive Netscape, but then only use/open Netscape Mail, and change the language charset to "Windows-1256" which is Arabic. It allows you to type in both English and Arabic.
However, if you want an email programme with Arabic interface, I'm not sure there exists any. There is yet an A
... See more
Hello Chademu,

If you mean by e-mail programme something like "Eudora" or "Outlook", the answer is no -up to my knowledge. Yet, you can use "Netscape" Mail. You will have though to download the inclusive Netscape, but then only use/open Netscape Mail, and change the language charset to "Windows-1256" which is Arabic. It allows you to type in both English and Arabic.
However, if you want an email programme with Arabic interface, I'm not sure there exists any. There is yet an Arabic "webmail" service for at http://www.maktoob.com. Other webmail services also exist.

As for "Word", I think it comes compatible with your Windows system. http://office.microsoft.com/home/default.aspxmight have some info.

Sorry! not much of a helpful reply
Perhaps other members have updated info.
Collapse

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot May 19, 2004

Hi Kalila,

Thanks for your help anyway. I will try it with Netscape!

Chademu

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:42
English to Arabic
+ ...
not necessary May 19, 2004

chademu wrote:

Hi,

- Is there a free e-mail programm for arabic which you can recommend? Does a programm exist where you can mix latin and arabic letters in the message?
- Having bought Word in German, is there a possibility of getting an arabic module for free?

Thanks a lot!

Chademu

You don't need a special Arabic e-mail programme in order to write e-mails in Arabic and to mix Arabic with Latin script. You can write Arabic e-mails in Yahoo, Hotmail, and any other free e-mail, as long as the Arabic language is installed on your computer. That is very easy if you're working on Windows. From "All Programs", click on "Microsoft Office Tools" then on "Microsoft Office Language Settings". From there, click on "Arabic".
While writing, all you need to do is to press ALT+SHIFT to switch between languages. Alternatively, use the Language Bar which should have appeared on your taskbar once you've installed a second language (or you click on the taskbar, go to task manager and ask for the language bar to appear, and you can then click on EN (for English), or AR (for Arabic) or DE (for German), whenever you need to change the language.
Good luck.
Nesrin

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nesrin May 20, 2004

Thank you Nesrin,

I will try this also as soon as possible, when I get a little bit more time.
I wish you a very nice day!

Chademu

Randa Farhat
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
typing in Arabic May 20, 2004

Hello,
As Nesrin said, you don't need email programme if you are using webmail service like yahoo or hotmail -as long as you have Arabic installed.
You just need to press ALT+SHIFT on the "right" side of your keyboard to switch to Arabic, and ALT+SHIFT on the "left" side to switch back to English. (This is in English/Arabic keyboard system).
And, I guess I misunderstood. The answer is yes you can use Eudora and Outlook to type in Arabic once you choose the correct Charset.
... See more
Hello,
As Nesrin said, you don't need email programme if you are using webmail service like yahoo or hotmail -as long as you have Arabic installed.
You just need to press ALT+SHIFT on the "right" side of your keyboard to switch to Arabic, and ALT+SHIFT on the "left" side to switch back to English. (This is in English/Arabic keyboard system).
And, I guess I misunderstood. The answer is yes you can use Eudora and Outlook to type in Arabic once you choose the correct Charset.
Regards!
Collapse

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It does not work May 22, 2004

Hallo Nasrin and Kalila,

I have tried to install the Arabic language an my PC like you explained it to me, Nesrin, and I was quite disappointed to see it does not work.
I don't know why, but my word version (2002) says "eingeschrنnkte Unterstützung" (limited aid) when I clicked on Arabic. Perhaps it is the reason.

Do you know another way to install Arabic on your computer?

Again, thanks a lot for your help, and have a nice week-end

Chad
... See more
Hallo Nasrin and Kalila,

I have tried to install the Arabic language an my PC like you explained it to me, Nesrin, and I was quite disappointed to see it does not work.
I don't know why, but my word version (2002) says "eingeschrنnkte Unterstützung" (limited aid) when I clicked on Arabic. Perhaps it is the reason.

Do you know another way to install Arabic on your computer?

Again, thanks a lot for your help, and have a nice week-end

Chademu
Collapse

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
try www.maktoob.com May 25, 2004

chademu wrote:

Hi,

Thanks a lot!

Chademu

A friend of mine suggested this website (www.maktoob.com) to me so I could email her in Arabic. You can set up an email address at this site and send and receive emails in Arabic.
Give it a go and good luck learning Arabic; it's hard but it's worth it (IMO anyway!)
Aisha

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will try maktoob, thanks May 25, 2004

Thank you very much, Aisha. I will try this for first.
Then, when I have a bit more time, I will see how I can manage with the installation of Arabic for Word and Open Office.

Well, yes Arabic is hard, but I don't know any language which is easy when you have to learn it. It is not worse than Latin and old Greek, which I had at school... And of course it is worth it. I have a very good Jordanian teacher, so I do not only learn the language but what I need to understand the me
... See more
Thank you very much, Aisha. I will try this for first.
Then, when I have a bit more time, I will see how I can manage with the installation of Arabic for Word and Open Office.

Well, yes Arabic is hard, but I don't know any language which is easy when you have to learn it. It is not worse than Latin and old Greek, which I had at school... And of course it is worth it. I have a very good Jordanian teacher, so I do not only learn the language but what I need to understand the mentality of the people. That is even more important for me.
Collapse

Randa Farhat
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
from "Help" file May 26, 2004

1. Install multilanguage support in Windows 2000
This procedure applies only if you are running a language version of Windows 2000 that doesn't match the language you want to type. Use this procedure when you want to enter characters for Baltic, Central European, Cyrillic, Greek, Turkish, and Asian languages, or right-to-left languages (Arabic, Hebrew, Farsi, and Urdu) in Microsoft Office 2000 programs.

If you are unable to install multilanguage support, see your system admini
... See more
1. Install multilanguage support in Windows 2000
This procedure applies only if you are running a language version of Windows 2000 that doesn't match the language you want to type. Use this procedure when you want to enter characters for Baltic, Central European, Cyrillic, Greek, Turkish, and Asian languages, or right-to-left languages (Arabic, Hebrew, Farsi, and Urdu) in Microsoft Office 2000 programs.

If you are unable to install multilanguage support, see your system administrator.

On the Windows Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click the Regional Settings icon.

On the General tab, click the language you want in the Available list, and then click Add.

Repeat step 3 for each language you want.

2. Install keyboard layouts
On the Windows Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click the Keyboard icon.

Do one of the following:
If you are running Microsoft Windows 95 or later, click the Language tab.

If you are running Microsoft Windows NT version 4.0 or Windows 2000, click the Input Locales tab.

Click Add.

Do one of the following:
If you are running Windows 95 or later, click the language you want in the Language list, and then click OK.

If you are running Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000, click the language you want in the Input locale list, and then click OK.

If you want to be able to switch keyboard layouts by using the Windows taskbar, make sure the Enable indicator on taskbar check box is selected.

3. Requirements for Asian, right-to-left, and other types of languages
Asian languages (Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Korean)
To enter ideographic characters for these languages, use one of the following operating systems:

Any language version of Microsoft Windows 2000
If you are running a language version of Windows 2000 that doesn't match the language that you want to type, you must first install support for the language, and then install the Input Method Editor (IME) for the language. Learn about IMEs.

Any language version of Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT version 4.0
If the language version of your operating system is the same as the language you want to type, IMEs are included with these systems. The Microsoft Office 2000 Proofing Tools includes updated IMEs for these systems.

If the language version of your operating system doesn't match the language you want to type, install a Global Input Method Editor (Global IME). Global IMEs allow you to enter Asian text in Microsoft Word, in Microsoft Outlook e-mail messages, and in Microsoft Internet Explorer. Other Office programs require an Asian operating system or Windows 2000 to allow you to enter Asian text. Learn about IMEs.

Baltic, Central European, Cyrillic, Greek, and Turkish languages
To enter characters for these languages, use one of the following operating systems:

The corresponding language version of Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000
If you are running a language version of an operating system that doesn't match the language you want to type, install system support for that language.

Right-to-left languages (Arabic, Hebrew, Farsi, and Urdu)
To enter characters for these languages, use one of the following operating systems:

The corresponding language version of Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT 4.0

Any language version of Windows 2000
If you are running a language version of Windows 2000 that doesn't match the language you want to type, install system support for that language.

4. Apply a language format to text in a document
When you work with text in other languages, you may need to install spelling and grammar files. You also can have Microsoft Word detect languages automatically. Learn about setting up your computer to support multilingual editing and about using automatic language detection.

Select the text you want to change the language format for.

On the Tools menu, point to Language, and then click Set Language.
Show Me

In the Mark selected text as list, select the language you want.
A check mark next to the language name indicates that the spelling files for the language are installed.

Notes

To quickly apply a language format, add the Language menu to the Formatting toolbar. Click More Buttons , click Add or Remove Buttons, and then click Language.

To apply a language format during a spelling check, right-click a word, point to Language on the shortcut menu, and then click a language. If the language you want is not listed, click Set Language, and then select the language you want.

If you apply a right-to-left language format, the Formatting toolbar looks different when you select or edit text with that format. For example, the Left to Right and Right to Left buttons appear, and the Bullets, Decrease Indent, Increase Indent, and Numbering buttons indicate the direction of text.
Collapse

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works, thanks Kalila! May 28, 2004

Dear Kalila and other nice people who gave me some help here,

Thank you a lot for your help, it works now: I can write with Word and I have got an account on Maktoob.com.

Hoping to be able to give you any kind of help too some day.

Greetings from our still rainy Germany to sunny Koweit!

Chademu

Randa Farhat
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
writing in Arabic in Word and Maktoob May 30, 2004

Hello Chademu,
Great then!
If you need further help, Proz girls here will 'roll up' their sleeves to guide you through Arabic -the complicated but beautiful!
Ja, ist es sehr sonnig hier
Guten Tag

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 13:42
English to Arabic
+ ...
Also get layout diagram for the appropriate Arabic keyboard Jun 10, 2004

Greetings... herzliche Gruesse aus Kalifornia...

To add to the helpful and good advice by the earlier posters on adding and enabling multilanguage support inside MS Windows 2000 or XP (XP is much more robust and stable), the next step to enable you to operate and word-process in the Arabic language is to get the layout diagram of the Arabic keyboard.

Procedure is simple, as follows:

1. Go to the Microsoft website.

2. In the search box, enter
... See more
Greetings... herzliche Gruesse aus Kalifornia...

To add to the helpful and good advice by the earlier posters on adding and enabling multilanguage support inside MS Windows 2000 or XP (XP is much more robust and stable), the next step to enable you to operate and word-process in the Arabic language is to get the layout diagram of the Arabic keyboard.

Procedure is simple, as follows:

1. Go to the Microsoft website.

2. In the search box, enter (without quotes) "Arabic keyboard" =>

3. Scroll down the displayed pages until you find the link for the right type of Arabic keyboard (101-key or 104-key arrangement).

4. Print that diagram.

5. Then make a larger copy of that diagram (that larger version helps reduce your eyestrain in trying to see the characters)

6. Practice, practice, practice until you get accustomed to the right Arabic keystrokes.

Hope this helps you on your path to learning and working in the Arabic (which is not inherently the most-difficult language to learn).

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish, and Farsi)
San Pedro, California
(Occasional beta tester for Microsoft Arabic and
multilanguage products)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

free e-mail programm for arabic

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »