Thread poster: ALMERCANA
ALMERCANA
ALMERCANA  Identity Verified
Morocco
Local time: 13:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 13, 2005

Hello translators, I have recently joined the internet translation though I'm a sworn translator since 1997. I want to know the general rules for gaining a job and how to avoid non-paying job posters?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-14 18:25]

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
Advice... Sep 14, 2005

Ahlan Nabil,
Welcome to our community. A bit of advice is what you shall get:
- firstly, make sure that your profile is detailed and up-to-date: make sure that you add as many details as possible about your experience and qualifications. Include information that potential clients would be interested in. Have a look at how others have done it to get a good idea.
- Participate in the website through the forums and Kudoz to make yourself more visible.
- As I understand it
... See more
Ahlan Nabil,
Welcome to our community. A bit of advice is what you shall get:
- firstly, make sure that your profile is detailed and up-to-date: make sure that you add as many details as possible about your experience and qualifications. Include information that potential clients would be interested in. Have a look at how others have done it to get a good idea.
- Participate in the website through the forums and Kudoz to make yourself more visible.
- As I understand it, Platinum membership (in the case of this website, of course there are others) makes jobs and the Blue Board, where you can access information about agencies, more accessible. Of course, you may not yet be able/prepared to upgrade but I reckon it's worth it.
- However, the Blue Board really is a wonderful tool for making sure you don't get swindled.
- Another way is to take on small jobs only initially to test an agency's payment practices.

I hope you find all of that helpful. I'm sure other people will have other good, or even better, advice to impart to you. One final piece of advice is to browse through past forum discussions and I'm sure you'll find lots of other really useful information.
خير إن شاء الله
Aisha
Collapse

Abdussalam Tahir Hamzah
Timothy Gregory
Abu Bekr Al-Agib
Mohammed Jameel

ALMERCANA
ALMERCANA  Identity Verified
Morocco
Local time: 13:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thany you Sep 22, 2005

Thank you very much!
Your advice is very helpful to me. I started with some changes hoping they will be fruitful.
thank you Aïcha

Sam Berner
Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:54
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
إرمي شبكتك واسعة Dec 24, 2005

Don't limit yourself to one translation board, and don't limit yourself to online.

I find that publishing in industry journals attracts attention. Also, network with Big Fish Businesses are the best direct clients you can find, if you know how to throw them a proposal they can't refuse and hook them for a long-term contract. Network, network, network...

Many excellent jobs came to me through colleagues by
... See more
Don't limit yourself to one translation board, and don't limit yourself to online.

I find that publishing in industry journals attracts attention. Also, network with Big Fish Businesses are the best direct clients you can find, if you know how to throw them a proposal they can't refuse and hook them for a long-term contract. Network, network, network...

Many excellent jobs came to me through colleagues by word of mouth. Be very good to your competition

Good luck - first year is really hard, but once you make yourself a reputation, it is like a snowball. You won't have time to scratch your head.
Collapse

Abdussalam Tahir Hamzah
Timothy Gregory
Abu Bekr Al-Agib

Abdussalam Tahir Hamzah
Abdussalam Tahir Hamzah
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 15:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanks Oct 11, 2022

I am wordless and speechless enough to thank you guys for these pieces of advice... to be honest I just find how to start exactly now.
God bless you.

Abu Bekr Al-Agib

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on gaining jobs needed

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »