Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:32
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 6, 2021

Zagarella Maryrose wrote:

Hi Max! It's me, your fan!
I have a client who wants subtitle files in Excel format. I found a great blog page showing how to convert the SRT file to XLSX. Here's the link to the blog page, in case anyone wants it:
http://www.translationengland.com/translation-blog/how-to-export-subtitle-edit-subtitle-files-into-microsoft-excel
But I tried converting the files back to SRT and seeing if they still looked okay, and the line breaks don't work. They look like this in the subtitles || and the lines don't break at those places.
Do you know how to fix that?
Thanks in advance)

Hi Zagarella

Here's what you can do:

1. Open the converted-back SRT file in Subtitle Edit (make sure you have the latest version).
2. Go to Edit > Multiple Replace.
3. Select Regular expression.
4. Type \|\| in Find What and \r\n in Replace With, then click Add.
5. Make sure this rule is enabled and all the subtitles are selected (the corresponding boxes should be checked).
6. Press Apply.

Zagarella Maryrose

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:32
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How to open STL files Jun 7, 2021

Hi Max
I would be so grateful if you could help me with this matter.

Are you familiar with OOONA software? I have to export an STL file and I need to choose a File Association to open it. Do you know which program/file association works better to open STL subtitle files as it's a binary format?

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 7, 2021

Liliane Ribas de Freitas wrote:

Hi Max
I would be so grateful if you could help me with this matter.

Are you familiar with OOONA software? I have to export an STL file and I need to choose a File Association to open it. Do you know which program/file association works better to open STL subtitle files as it's a binary format?

Hi Liliane,

I'm not sure I understand your question, but you can open STL files in Subtitle Edit.

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Spain
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks again for all your help Jun 7, 2021

Let me try to explain it better.
I use OOONA and when I click export, I need a file association to open the file. For instance with ".SRT" files I use Notepad, but since " .STL" are binary files, which file association shall I use to send the file to the client?

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Spain
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Trying to clarify my question Jun 7, 2021

I guess my question is: when I export an .SRT file from OOONA or SUbtitle Edit, for instance, it saves it automatically as a text file and I have my text files associated with Notepad to open them.

In the case of binary files like .STL, I'm not sure what file association I should use to save them on my computer and be able to send it to the client.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 7, 2021

Liliane Ribas wrote:

I guess my question is: when I export an .SRT file from OOONA or SUbtitle Edit, for instance, it saves it automatically as a text file and I have my text files associated with Notepad to open them.

In the case of binary files like .STL, I'm not sure what file association I should use to save them on my computer and be able to send it to the client.

Liliane, your choice here doesn't matter, as this information is saved only locally. The client's computer has no way of knowing what file associations you've chosen, so it'll open your STL file in its own way.

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Spain
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks for your patience Jun 7, 2021

I see, Max.

I want to make sure the client won't have any problems dealing with my STL file.

So I can choose to open it with Windows Media Player even if it not supports STL files, for instance?

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 7, 2021

Liliane Ribas wrote:

I see, Max.

I want to make sure the client won't have any problems dealing with my STL file.

So I can choose to open it with Windows Media Player even if it not supports STL files, for instance?

Yes. It doesn't matter for the client's PC what you choose.

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Spain
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks Jun 7, 2021

Thank you so much!

Max Deryagin

Zagarella Maryrose
Zagarella Maryrose
Spain
Local time: 09:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you, Max! It works like a charm!!! Jun 8, 2021

Thank you so much for your help!!! I hope you have a fantastic day!!!!

Max Deryagin

Alessandra Corso
Alessandra Corso  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:32
French to Italian
+ ...
Transcriptions Jun 15, 2021

Dear Max and dear colleagues,
Thank you for this wonderful thread.
It is very useful for people like me who are starting their career as subtitlers.
I would like to ask you a piece of advice about transcriptions.
I thank you in advance for the time you will spend reading this message.
I am currently working with an agency for which I caption videos in the IT field, language pair Italian- Italian.
Even though Italian is my mother tongue, sometimes it had been
... See more
It is very useful for people like me who are starting their career as subtitlers.
I am currently working with an agency for which I caption videos in the IT field, language pair Italian- Italian.
Even though Italian is my mother tongue, sometimes it had been incredibly difficult to do a proper CC, because the quality of the audio was very bad, and the speakers used neologisms and regionalisms.
I must confess that it would have been quite impossible to deliver a 99% accurate transcription without being a native speaker.
Therefore, I have decided not to transcribe in a foreign language, but to ask for a script in the source language.
A MS Word sheet in the source language is more than enough for me to carry out the task in my language pairs.
My question is: do you think is a good compromise, or am I missing many opportunities with this policy?
Dear colleagues, what are your tips to deal with very complex texts which are not in your native language?
I accept any kind of suggestions to improve my skills in transcription (software, other tips...) in order to offer a better service to my clients.
There is anyone there who only subtitles from a script?

Thank you so much for your help, your time, and your answers.
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 16, 2021

Alessandra Corso wrote:

Even though Italian is my mother tongue, sometimes it had been incredibly difficult to do a proper CC, because the quality of the audio was very bad, and the speakers used neologisms and regionalisms.
I must confess that it would have been quite impossible to deliver a 99% accurate transcription without being a native speaker.
Therefore, I have decided not to transcribe in a foreign language, but to ask for a script in the source language.
A MS Word sheet in the source language is more than enough for me to carry out the task in my language pairs.
My question is: do you think is a good compromise, or am I missing many opportunities with this policy?
Dear colleagues, what are your tips to deal with very complex texts which are not in your native language?
I accept any kind of suggestions to improve my skills in transcription (software, other tips...) in order to offer a better service to my clients.
There is anyone there who only subtitles from a script?

Thank you so much for your help, your time, and your answers.

Hi Alessandra,

I actually did a webinar on this topic back in the day; you can find a recording here. It's a bit old, but it covers all the basics. Generally, I think it's important to keep in mind that video transcription isn't only about how fluent you are in the source language but also about your ability to disambiguate the meaning based on the context and the logic of what's being said. I create English templates from scratch for two of my clients, and when the going gets tough, e.g. when some of the speakers in the video have a strong accent or a poor-quality microphone, when there is background noise, when people talk very quickly or simultaneously, when it's a web meeting/conference and their internet connection keeps going out — in cases like this I have to pay close attention to the conversation and heavily rely on my research skills and my knowledge of the subject matter, which help me guess what the speakers could've said based on what they've said previously. But even that can be not enough, and I will often give the client a short list of inaudibles, so that they could check internally or ask the speakers themselves.

One recent technology that helps transcribers a fair bit is automated speech recognition. It's now built into several professional subtitling tools, e.g. EZTitles, and there are also services like SyncWords where you can upload your video and get a machine-generated transcript back. Or, with the client's permission, you can upload your video to YouTube and take advantage of its auto-captioning, which used to be terrible a few years ago but has now become surprisingly good. It can help you figure out some difficult moments.

Alessandra Corso

Veridiana Silva
Veridiana Silva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
MTPE AND subtitling? Jun 17, 2021

Hello everyone!
Max, thanks for opening this topic, much appreciated.

I received an email inviting me for a project to post edit SUBTITLES.
This will involve checking the video as well and the requester is asking my per minute rate.
I am sorry if this has been asked before, I searched here before asking, but will admit not extensively because many topics that were returned to me were quite old (~2003).
What rate is usually practiced for this kind of work? The
... See more
Hello everyone!

This will involve checking the video as well and the requester is asking my per minute rate.
I am sorry if this has been asked before, I searched here before asking, but will admit not extensively because many topics that were returned to me were quite old (~2003).
What rate is usually practiced for this kind of work? There are different languages in the project, my combination is ENG>BRPT.

thank you!

Kind regards,
Veridiana
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 17, 2021

Veridiana Silva wrote:

Hello everyone!

What rate is usually practiced for this kind of work? There are different languages in the project, my combination is ENG>BRPT.

thank you!

Kind regards,
Veridiana

Hi Veridiana,

As things stand today, subtitle MTPE is a grueling, joyless type of work with extremely poor pay. There are no standard rates for it, so companies offer vastly different (but always measly) rates. My recommendation would be to steer clear of such projects until both the technology and the working conditions improve.

Veridiana Silva

Oluwatobi Opanuga
Oluwatobi Opanuga
Nigeria
Local time: 08:32
English to Yoruba
+ ...
New comer Jun 19, 2021

I'm new on this platform. Thus, I need info on how to get into real subtitle "sector" as I can translate English to Yorùbá easily (oral and written).
Thanks

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »