Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:00
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Nov 1, 2021

whitelighter wrote:

According to Netflix guidelines, in Russian subtitling an ellipse should be used to indicate an abrupt interruption of speech rather than two dashes. Is this universal or specific to Netflix? I personally think the two dashes work better, at least with English subtitles, but since I'm not a native Russian speaker I'm not sure if the dashes would convey an abrupt interruption as clearly as they do in English.

Hi whitelighter,

No such thing as "universal guidelines" in subtitling — there are corporate, academic, national and other guidelines that can (and often do) differ a fair bit.

I personally prefer using the ellipse, because two dashes tend to remove ambiguity and act as spoilers, informing the audience of an upcoming twist/jump scare/you-name-it seconds in advance. I remember particularly when I worked on Da 5 Bloods, there was a tense moment when you knew the characters could step on a mine at any moment (they were walking through the jungle in Vietnam). So I'm doing my initial watch-through and then I see a long subtitle ending with "--", and I'm like, "Yep, he's dead." And lo and behold, a couple of seconds later the speaking character steps on a damn IED and gets blown to smithereens.

And it was then that I realized: double hyphens are no good.

[Edited at 2021-11-01 15:54 GMT]

whitelighter
whitelighter
United States
Headlines, signs, etc Nov 7, 2021

Ok thanks.
Also, can you recommend a good way to subtitle signs that are seen in the background (such as 'Library") or newspaper headlines that are central to the plot? I mean, should it be in all-caps, or in brackets or italics or something?

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Nov 8, 2021

whitelighter wrote:

Ok thanks.
Also, can you recommend a good way to subtitle signs that are seen in the background (such as 'Library") or newspaper headlines that are central to the plot? I mean, should it be in all-caps, or in brackets or italics or something?

If you're working for a subtitling company or end client, you should just stick to their style guide (if they have one). Otherwise, you can use anything that the target audience will most likely understand — all caps, brackets, different color, etc. — just make sure your usage is consistent throughout the film. I think all caps is an okay approach in most situations.

Mr. Satan (X)

Seva Kavalenka
Seva Kavalenka  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 14:00
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Subtitling on Mac Nov 29, 2021

Hi Max and other subtitling experts and professionals,

Could you please recommend me a subtitling software which:

- is available for Mac,
- works with shot changes and gaps,
- is free.

I do not have lots of subtitling projects now, that is why I am asking about a free version.

Thank you in advance!

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Nov 30, 2021

Seva Kavalenka wrote:

Hi Max and other subtitling experts and professionals,

Could you please recommend me a subtitling software which:

- is available for Mac,
- works with shot changes and gaps,
- is free.

I do not have lots of subtitling projects now, that is why I am asking about a free version.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Seva,

Oh, I'm afraid I don't know of any Mac-friendly subtitling tools that'd be both free and capable of working with shot changes and gaps. Perhaps you could ask someone to write a LUA script that'd automatically add gaps in Aegisub. Or, unproductively, you could use a free NLE tool like DaVinci Resolve (tutorial). But generally I think it's better to use Parallels and a free Windows tool like Subtitle Edit or to pay a little for a week-long OOONA subscription when a subtitling project comes along.

By the way, we have this question answered on our association's website, in the "Tips for AV translators" section (though we do need to add info for Mac users): https://subtle-subtitlers.org.uk/tips-for-av-translators/

Mr. Satan (X)
Seva Kavalenka

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
That's very helpful Dec 1, 2021

Max Deryagin wrote:

By the way, we have this question answered on our association's website, in the "Tips for AV translators" section (though we do need to add info for Mac users): https://subtle-subtitlers.org.uk/tips-for-av-translators/

Thanks for the link, Max.

I was actually in the hunt for proprietary subtitling/captioning software. While most of my clients want me to use either Aegisub or Subtitle Edit (or their own in-house platforms if neither of those two), I've come across one or two clients who turned me down for not having a proprietary subtitling software ready in my toolbox. That link is super helpful for me to make an informed choice, especially considering some subtitling software can cost up to four-digit figures.

Max Deryagin

Anikó Sarkadi
Anikó Sarkadi
Hungary
Local time: 13:00
English to Hungarian
+ ...
QC in Ooona Dec 23, 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Is there anyone here who has some experience with QC-ing in Ooona Translation software?
I would like to ask him or her a technical question.

Thank you in advance.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Dec 24, 2021

Anikó Sarkadi wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

Is there anyone here who has some experience with QC-ing in Ooona Translation software?
I would like to ask him or her a technical question.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Anikó,

You can ask your question here or via Ooona Support.

Anikó Sarkadi
Anikó Sarkadi
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
QC in Ooona Dec 25, 2021

Hi Max,

I am trying to do a QC on an episode in Ooona Review Pro, and for that, I would like to see the source language and the target language next to each other. However, right now I can only see the target language.

I have read all the available guidelines on Ooona Support Page, but did not find the answer to my question. I also tried to import the master file, but then both of the columns changed to the source language.

Please advise me how I can see
... See more
Hi Max,

I am trying to do a QC on an episode in Ooona Review Pro, and for that, I would like to see the source language and the target language next to each other. However, right now I can only see the target language.

I have read all the available guidelines on Ooona Support Page, but did not find the answer to my question. I also tried to import the master file, but then both of the columns changed to the source language.

Please advise me how I can see both the source language and the target language next to each other, while I am doing Quality Checking on the film.

Thank you in advance!
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Dec 25, 2021

Anikó Sarkadi wrote:

Hi Max,

Please advise me how I can see both the source language and the target language next to each other, while I am doing Quality Checking on the film.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Anikó,

You need to first import the target-language file (Import/Export > Import File), then import the source-language master template (Import/Export > Import Master Template), and, if you don't need the middle column, click on the Hide Source Subtitles Column icon on the toolbar (it's on the right-hand side).

[Edited at 2021-12-25 18:35 GMT]

Anikó Sarkadi
Anikó Sarkadi
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
QC in Ooona Dec 25, 2021

Hi Max,

Issue is solved, thanks a lot for your assistance!

Regards,

Aniko

Max Deryagin

Neil Allen
Neil Allen  Identity Verified
France
French to English
How to deal with sentences split by 'new paragraph' in .srt files? Dec 28, 2021

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to process .srt files, particularly how to deal with the problem of sentences being divided up by paragraph marks to reflect the video timing? This results in sentences being split across multiple segments when the file is imported into a CAT tool.

In a tool such as Trados Studio, if the segments are joined, the exported file then loses the video timing information, which is clearly not acceptable.

Any tips on how to process the
... See more
Does anyone have any tips on the best way to process .srt files, particularly how to deal with the problem of sentences being divided up by paragraph marks to reflect the video timing? This results in sentences being split across multiple segments when the file is imported into a CAT tool.

In a tool such as Trados Studio, if the segments are joined, the exported file then loses the video timing information, which is clearly not acceptable.

Any tips on how to process these files as easily as possible would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Dec 28, 2021

Neil Allen wrote:

Any tips on how to process these files as easily as possible would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil

Hi Neil,

Have you tried using the Trados Studio Subtitling plugin?

Anikó Sarkadi
Anikó Sarkadi
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How to Handle Lyrics in Subtitles Jan 4, 2022

Dear Colleagues,

Fiest of all, Happy New Year!

My question is, how do you handle lyrics in subtitling? If this is an intro song, at the beginning of each episode.
The song was specifically created for this series, I found it on youtube.

Would you leave those lines empty?

Or put the lyrics into italics, but leave it in English, do not translate it into my language?

Thank you in advance!

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jan 4, 2022

Anikó Sarkadi wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

Fiest of all, Happy New Year!

My question is, how do you handle lyrics in subtitling? If this is an intro song, at the beginning of each episode.
The song was specifically created for this series, I found it on youtube.

Would you leave those lines empty?

Or put the lyrics into italics, but leave it in English, do not translate it into my language?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Anikó,

You should handle the intro song lyrics as instructed by the client — and if there weren't any instructions, it's better to go ahead and ask your client what treatment they prefer.

If you have to decide yourself, you need to assess how meaningful the lyrics are within the context of the show, whether the subs would distract from the visuals too much, how important those visuals are for the target audience, and to what extent that audience knows English (e.g. viewers in Sweden vs. viewers in China). So, if the song is there just to give some sort of a vibe and the visuals are must-see for proper understanding of the episode, you could leave the song unsubtitled. And if the song is quite simple and you're subtitling for an audience mostly fluent in English, you could leave the text in English.

[Edited at 2022-01-04 19:28 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »