Thread poster: Edina Jerlagic
Miomira Brankovic
Miomira Brankovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 16:08
English to Serbian
+ ...
Standard translator's page Feb 27, 2016

Measuring the volume of text in terms of pages rather than words is the legacy of pre-computer era when texts for publishing or translations were usually typewritten on A4 paper with double spacing and one-inch margins. Such a page contained approximately 28-30 lines and each line 60-65 characters (with spaces). That gave the volume of roughly 1800 characters per page. Such form of measurement was (and still is) very common in ex-Yugoslavia, where journalists usually referred to such a page as <... See more
Measuring the volume of text in terms of pages rather than words is the legacy of pre-computer era when texts for publishing or translations were usually typewritten on A4 paper with double spacing and one-inch margins. Such a page contained approximately 28-30 lines and each line 60-65 characters (with spaces). That gave the volume of roughly 1800 characters per page. Such form of measurement was (and still is) very common in ex-Yugoslavia, where journalists usually referred to such a page as kartica (literally: a card) and translators as prevodilačka strana (translator's page). I imagine that your boss had such a page in mind. Such a page is approximately equivalent to 1500 characters without spaces (EU standard) or 250-270 words, depending on the language.
Translating 15 pages during a day is possible in extreme situations, but not within regular working hours and such volume cannot be maintained over longer period of time. In my opinion any request from an in-house translator to translate more than 7 pages in the course of regular working hours is exaggerated and should be contested.

[Edited at 2016-02-27 08:41 GMT]
Collapse

Edina Jerlagic
Edina Jerlagic  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 16:08
Bosnian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply Feb 27, 2016

Miomira Brankovic wrote:

Measuring the volume of text in terms of pages rather than words is the legacy of pre-computer era when texts for publishing or translations were usually typewritten on A4 paper with double spacing and one-inch margins. Such a page contained approximately 28-30 lines and each line 60-65 characters (with spaces). That gave the volume of roughly 1800 characters per page. Such form of measurement was (and still is) very common in ex-Yugoslavia, where journalists usually referred to such a page as kartica (literally: a card) and translators as prevodilačka strana (translator's page). I imagine that your boss had such a page in mind. Such a page is approximately equivalent to 1500 characters without spaces (EU standard) or 250-270 words, depending on the language.
Translating 15 pages during a day is possible in extreme situations, but not within regular working hours and such volume cannot be maintained over longer period of time. In my opinion any request from an in-house translator to translate more than 7 pages in the course of regular working hours is exaggerated and should be contested.

[Edited at 2016-02-27 08:41 GMT]

Thanx a lot This investigation is very useful for me and my work colleagues. Now I know what I can tell my boss with arguments.

Regards

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

average number of translated pages

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »