Susanne Döring  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 05:06
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 2, 2022

Hi, me again.

Two days ago I finished a longer text and at the end, after clicking on "save" (which I do regularly inbetween), it did not give me the option of "open file" as normal. Okay, I went to the explorer and the project - and found out, that in spite of my saving regularly the new segments had not been saved in the file I use to export every day after finishing work. I tried again, no use. I exportet the bilingual file - yes, every segment present. I tried again to export th
... See more
Hi, me again.

Two days ago I finished a longer text and at the end, after clicking on "save" (which I do regularly inbetween), it did not give me the option of "open file" as normal. Okay, I went to the explorer and the project - and found out, that in spite of my saving regularly the new segments had not been saved in the file I use to export every day after finishing work. I tried again, no use. I exportet the bilingual file - yes, every segment present. I tried again to export the complete file - no. It does not save the newer segments in the word file.

I cut the non-translated part, made a new document and started a new translation, copied the xlf. file in order to use my translations. But: it does not show my translation of a segment eacht time - somentimes I get under "My memory" or on the Matchboard a generated translation, which is not what I find in my bilingual file.

Anybody had the same problem or knows a workaroung how to get the segments in a word file, not the bilingual? If I have to copy/paste everything in the new translation it will cost me days of work.

Ah, before I forget: I am using CafeTranEspresso 11.0 now - but I am afraid that the change of version might have caused the problem. Given the lenghts of the project I could not finish it in order to solve my last problem with the connection to Proz. But never mind the cause, I remember having had the same problem long time ago - not exporting - then I just inserted the whole text as new docoment and clicked through, but here it does not work.

Thank you for listening/reading!
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
. Feb 2, 2022

- Create a support ticket attaching the project package (Project menu>Export and exchange>To package. This is what I would do when I have an issue with a specific project. If there is an NDA that prohibits it, I think an exception can be granted for contacting the developer.

- Same goes for issues arising after updating the software (if it was not a clean install). If needed, export the preferences in Edit > Preferences and then reset the preferences. Just FYI, it is also advised no
... See more
- Create a support ticket attaching the project package (Project menu>Export and exchange>To package. This is what I would do when I have an issue with a specific project. If there is an NDA that prohibits it, I think an exception can be granted for contacting the developer.

- Same goes for issues arising after updating the software (if it was not a clean install). If needed, export the preferences in Edit > Preferences and then reset the preferences. Just FYI, it is also advised not to update with unfinished projects.

- Have you moved or edited the original native file in the project folder by any chance? This is the one that is renamed, with CafeTran appending the source language to the file name. This file is not to be touched as it is used for exporting the target file. This could explain the issue (if I understand it correctly).

- If for some reason you want to create the project again because of the export error, there is no need to copy/paste in order to reuse your work:

Open the old project in CafeTran. Project menu > Export and exchange > To TMX.
Create a new project, and open the created TMX memory (Memory > Open, for example), which stores all the translated segments of the original project.
Go to Edit > Preferences > temporarily disable all autopropaggation options and auto-assembling options (just for safety).
Translate > Insert all exact matches. This should populate the new project segments with the translation from the old project. If it is essentially the same file, most segments should be populated.
You can now enable the above mentioned settings.
Go through each segment and fix whatever needs to be fixed (empty segments, things like tags, etc.).
Export the finished translation. Before, make sure you run a QA on tags. QA > Tags. This is especially important for external projects.

- If you think you might need CafeTran training, you can contact me or Hans (German-Dutch Engineering).

Cheers!
Collapse

Susanne Döring
Susanne Döring  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 05:06
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 2, 2022

- for this heap of good advice. I will work through it and look how I might save the file.

Thank you for the hint with the training - maybe I'll pick it up, looks like there is a lot I don't know, but as I usually only work with very plain word files, I got along with what I do know.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot export file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »