Can't send e-mails to AOL addresses (they come bouncing back)
Thread poster: LJC (X)
LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
Local time: 11:48
French to English
+ ...
Oct 21, 2004

Every time I send an e-mail to an AOL address it bounces back. The message I get on the returned e-mail is "Échec; 4.4.7 (délai de distribution expiré)". Without exception the time lapse between sending the e-mail and it being returned undelivered is 8 hours. This applies to e-mails sent to AOL addresses in France and the UK (I haven't had to send any anywhere else). In a couple of cases where I haven't had a second e-mail address for the client I have resent the e-mail using 'foreward' a... See more
Every time I send an e-mail to an AOL address it bounces back. The message I get on the returned e-mail is "Échec; 4.4.7 (délai de distribution expiré)". Without exception the time lapse between sending the e-mail and it being returned undelivered is 8 hours. This applies to e-mails sent to AOL addresses in France and the UK (I haven't had to send any anywhere else). In a couple of cases where I haven't had a second e-mail address for the client I have resent the e-mail using 'foreward' and these e-mails have got through.

I heard a rumour some time ago that AOL's anti-spamware was notorious for bouncing e-mails for no apparent reason. Another rumour I heard was that there was some kind of 'war' between AOL and Tiscali (my ISP) and that AOL periodically blocks all e-mails from Tiscali addresses, but I have no idea if these rumours are true.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light on this problem.

Lesley
Collapse

Melissa Field
Melissa Field  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:48
German to English
+ ...
This happened to me, too! Oct 21, 2004

Hi Lesley,

I recently had a similar problem with e-mailing addresses at aol.com. All e-mails to aol.com were returned to me with a message that my host server had been blocked by aol. In case of questions, I was to contact my web hosting service.

According to them, AOL uses somewhat questionable methods for blocking spammers, often blocking many innocent bystanders in the process. I was told to use an alternate e-mail and wait until the "ban" had been lifted on our
... See more
Hi Lesley,

I recently had a similar problem with e-mailing addresses at aol.com. All e-mails to aol.com were returned to me with a message that my host server had been blocked by aol. In case of questions, I was to contact my web hosting service.

According to them, AOL uses somewhat questionable methods for blocking spammers, often blocking many innocent bystanders in the process. I was told to use an alternate e-mail and wait until the "ban" had been lifted on our server. TBH, I haven't even tried it again since then - I just use my yahoo account to e-mail AOL users.

I don't know if this helps you at all... maybe just to know that there are others out there who are also affected by this.

Melissa
Collapse

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Melissa Oct 21, 2004

Thanks Melissa, it does help to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

I had thought of asking the clients to open a free account with Hotmail or Yahoo but was reluctant to do so because they say they are very happy with AOL and think the problem must be at my end. They don't really know they're not receiving some e-mails because nobody's ever told them before!

However, I'd never thought of opening a free account myself to get round the problem. Thanks for the
... See more
Thanks Melissa, it does help to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

I had thought of asking the clients to open a free account with Hotmail or Yahoo but was reluctant to do so because they say they are very happy with AOL and think the problem must be at my end. They don't really know they're not receiving some e-mails because nobody's ever told them before!

However, I'd never thought of opening a free account myself to get round the problem. Thanks for the tip.

Lesley
Collapse

Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
Local time: 10:48
English to Italian
+ ...
AOL user Oct 21, 2004

Hi, I use AOL as my main ISP, and periodically miss emails from people. These are addresses with whom I normally exchange emails, and every now and then they tell me they have sent a message that never arrives. In some cases I have also received greatly delayed messages. Like many people who use AOL, I am reluctant to change ISP, because on the whole I am quite happy, and the spam situation has dramatically improved... but not at the cost of missing important genuine mails!
Let's hear how
... See more
Hi, I use AOL as my main ISP, and periodically miss emails from people. These are addresses with whom I normally exchange emails, and every now and then they tell me they have sent a message that never arrives. In some cases I have also received greatly delayed messages. Like many people who use AOL, I am reluctant to change ISP, because on the whole I am quite happy, and the spam situation has dramatically improved... but not at the cost of missing important genuine mails!
Let's hear how many other people have been affected and/or know something about this.
Giuliana
Collapse

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AOL Oct 21, 2004

Hi Giuliana, it\'s nice to hear from an AOL user. I\'ve been checking on the net and there\'s lots of stuff written by disgruntled AOL users. From what I\'ve read it appears to be extremely difficult to unsubscribe from their services and also to get rid of their software if you do succeed in unsubscribing!

I\'ve taken Melissa\'s advice and have just set up a free email account at laposte.net, but I haven\'t tried it out yet.

As for spam, I do get a fair bit of it but
... See more
Hi Giuliana, it\'s nice to hear from an AOL user. I\'ve been checking on the net and there\'s lots of stuff written by disgruntled AOL users. From what I\'ve read it appears to be extremely difficult to unsubscribe from their services and also to get rid of their software if you do succeed in unsubscribing!

I\'ve taken Melissa\'s advice and have just set up a free email account at laposte.net, but I haven\'t tried it out yet.

As for spam, I do get a fair bit of it but it all comes through my website (which has its own email address) and not directly from Tiscali. I don\'t use a spam filter because I\'ve had mails that have looked like spam at first glance but have turned out to be from potential clients.
Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:48
Italian to English
+ ...
happens to me, too Oct 21, 2004

Yes - all e-mails sent from my main accounts to AOL addresses are bounced right back. I have a Yahoo account to cater for this, but I have to say that it's really inconvenient and I wish AOL would get it sorted! It is inconvenient enough for me to "prefer" non-AOL addresses to AOL ones when working as an outsourcer...sounds awful but it's true - I've had so many problems sending and receiving from AOL.

In short, AOL should sort this out.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
With hotmail too:-) Oct 21, 2004

It happens consistently with me and messages to hotmail, still haven't figured out why. Similar message as yours.

white_falcon (X)
white_falcon (X)
English
AOL Employee Jul 16, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:

It happens consistently with me and messages to hotmail, still haven't figured out why. Similar message as yours.

Hi there, I am an AOL employee currently working in AOL and have a good answer to your question. Basically some ISP's such as Tiscali and Bulldog allow their users to send bulk emails (generally these are spam) so rather than blocking each user, who will probably just make a new account, the block the domain name ie. @tiscali.com or whatever it may be, in order to stop any AOL members from receiving spam. It may seem harse, and it is in a way, but it will not be stopped it looks like, as these other ISP's have fairly lax rules about bulk emails being sent and have no outgoing spam filters so it is basically a spam war, which AOL have decided to block their borders from. The only way around it is to use a hotmail or yahoo address as mentioned before and get ur mail sent here instead.

Hope that answers your question

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
If that is AOL's policy then it seems unethical! Sep 22, 2006

white_falcon wrote:

Hi there, I am an AOL employee currently working in AOL and have a good answer to your question. Basically some ISP's such as Tiscali and Bulldog allow their users to send bulk emails (generally these are spam) so rather than blocking each user, who will probably just make a new account, the block the domain name ie. @tiscali.com or whatever it may be, in order to stop any AOL members from receiving spam. It may seem harse, and it is in a way, but it will not be stopped it looks like, as these other ISP's have fairly lax rules about bulk emails being sent and have no outgoing spam filters so it is basically a spam war, which AOL have decided to block their borders from. The only way around it is to use a hotmail or yahoo address as mentioned before and get ur mail sent here instead.

Hope that answers your question

Sorry, but this doesn't seem just "harsh" it sounds awfully like trade war and very unethical to just put a blanket ban on a particular ISP.

As the people complaining of bounced e-mails to AOL and Hotmail seem to be saying it is only intermittent, then how can it possibly be defended as protecting AOL members from receiving spam? An intermittent defence is not a real defence at all. Don't AOL members also have a right to receive e-mail?

My own ISP, Namesco, seems to run fairly good spam filtering without resorting to such damaging tactics. I used to have a spam problem on their older, pre-broadband, ndo server, which was less sophisticated and didn't give me my own, independant domain name, but now I find the combination of Namesco's filtering and my own internet security subscription keeps spam down to nearly zero. If they can do it, so can AOL.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't send e-mails to AOL addresses (they come bouncing back)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »