Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:35
English to French
+ ...
Apr 13, 2022

Hi all,

Browsing the forums, I've seen some mentions of the Vivaldi browser but no dedicated thread, so here's one.

I've started playing with this browser and it has some promising features that could be useful to translators:
_Built-in email client and calendar
_Notes
_many keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures
_Automated quick actions
_Supports Chrome extensions
_Highly customizable

You can customize next to everything
... See more
Hi all,

Browsing the forums, I've seen some mentions of the Vivaldi browser but no dedicated thread, so here's one.

I've started playing with this browser and it has some promising features that could be useful to translators:
_Notes
_Automated quick actions
_Highly customizable

You can customize next to everything in that browser. I can see how power users, project managers etc. could benefit from using it since you get nearly everything in one place, even more so if you're using a browser-based TMS.

If you're using it, what do you like dislike about it and what are your favorite features for productivity?
Collapse

Tom in London
Silvia Pellacani

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Very impressive Apr 13, 2022

There's a lot to explore but it looks impressive - I'm particularly interested in the email client (which, however, I note is in beta)

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Email client Apr 13, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

There's a lot to explore but it looks impressive - I'm particularly interested in the email client (which, however, I note is in beta)

I've been testing the client, so far no issues even if it's labeled as beta. "K" is the key to press to mark an e-mail as read. Have fun with it!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Drawback Apr 13, 2022

A big drawback with the Calendar is that you can't display a week's events and the upcoming tasks side by side - as you can with BusyCal (my most important application of all!) and for me, this kills Vivaldi.

https://www.busymac.com/busycal/

[Edited at 2022-04-13 10:42 GMT]

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Like this? Apr 13, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

A big drawback with the Calendar is that you can't display a week's events and the upcoming tasks side by side - as you can with BusyCal (my most important application of all!) and for me, this kills Vivaldi.

I managed to get this set up clicking a few toggles (like the top right-hand side under search). I haven't used this much but on the left I have two upcoming tasks for 2 separate days, my week and my day.
There is also an option to compartiment several opened views "page tiling", click the empty rectangle at the bottom right and choose how you want to separate the views. It should take what's opened and put in "tile" (not tiny, more like a portion of screen).

tasks

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:35
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
BusyCal Apr 13, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

What's the advantage of BusyCal over the Mac's Calendar app?

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Great tip Apr 13, 2022

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Hi all,

_Notes
_Automated quick actions
_Highly customizable

You can customize next to everything in that browser. I can see how power users, project managers etc. could benefit from using it since you get nearly everything in one place, even more so if you're using a browser-based TMS.

If you're using it, what do you like dislike about it and what are your favorite features for productivity?

Thank you so much, Philippe. Vivaldi looks very powerful and promising.

Philippe Locquet
Silvia Pellacani

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
One big advantage is Apr 13, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

What's the advantage of BusyCal over the Mac's Calendar app?

- the ability to display tasks and events within one application.

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Productivity example Apr 13, 2022

So after some more playing, on this screenshot, here is what I did:
_Left: I used the "add web panel feature" to add ModernMT. It's displayed there in a sort of smartphone view. It can go away and be replaced by mail or other with one click. I tested adding ProZ there but it didn't size very well.
_Center and Right: Here I am translating a document (sample for demo) in Wordfast Anywhere and I launched a Trancheck report that opened in a second tab. Now, clicking on the "Tiles" functi
... See more
So after some more playing, on this screenshot, here is what I did:
_Left: I used the "add web panel feature" to add ModernMT. It's displayed there in a sort of smartphone view. It can go away and be replaced by mail or other with one click. I tested adding ProZ there but it didn't size very well.
_Center and Right: Here I am translating a document (sample for demo) in Wordfast Anywhere and I launched a Trancheck report that opened in a second tab. Now, clicking on the "Tiles" function I selected "Tile Vertically" and now I can see my Transcheck report on the right and scroll through it at the same time as applying changes in the xliff in Wordfast Anywhere.

I'm starting to like this contraption...

WFA-productivity

[Edited at 2022-04-13 13:03 GMT]
Collapse

Silvia Pellacani

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Rules for e-mails Apr 14, 2022

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Hi all,

I'm still trying getting to grips with e-mail settings in Vivaldi. Does anybody know how to set up rules for sending e-mails automatically to the right folders?

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re:rules Apr 14, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:
Does anybody know how to set up rules for sending e-mails automatically to the right folders?

Hi, regarding rules and folders, I prefer to get this sorted in the web portal for said e-mail address, this then gets carried to any e-mail client. I have connected an e-mail address with such rules to Vivaldi and it worked perfectly.

If you want to do it from Vivaldi, this help page explains how to do it: https://help.vivaldi.com/mail/mail-advanced/mail-filters/

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks, Philippe, Apr 14, 2022

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:
Does anybody know how to set up rules for sending e-mails automatically to the right folders?

Hi, regarding rules and folders, I prefer to get this sorted in the web portal for said e-mail address, this then gets carried to any e-mail client. I have connected an e-mail address with such rules to Vivaldi and it worked perfectly.

If you want to do it from Vivaldi, this help page explains how to do it: https://help.vivaldi.com/mail/mail-advanced/mail-filters/

will take a look into those settings

Philippe Locquet

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Great ad blocker, too! Apr 19, 2022

I have used Vivaldi from time to time (as an alternative to my standard browser Firefox).
I wasn't aware of its integrated e-mail-client and now have discovered its ad blocker, too. Until now the sites I normally visit didn't ask me to stop my ad blocker as usual (with Firefox, I use McAfee & UBlockOrigin) and I still see zero ads - that's really great! But unfortunately, I think it is only a question of time until they'll do......
See more
I have used Vivaldi from time to time (as an alternative to my standard browser Firefox).
I wasn't aware of its integrated e-mail-client and now have discovered its ad blocker, too. Until now the sites I normally visit didn't ask me to stop my ad blocker as usual (with Firefox, I use McAfee & UBlockOrigin) and I still see zero ads - that's really great! But unfortunately, I think it is only a question of time until they'll do... I didn't try yet the e-mail-programme but I surely will have a deeper look into all the features of Vivaldi that seem indeed quite interesting. I didn't dislike the browser, but well, I used mainly Firefox, so I didn't care to know more bout it...
Thank you very much, Philippe!
Collapse

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Blockers Apr 19, 2022

Christel Zipfel wrote:

l (with Firefox, I use McAfee & UBlockOrigin) and I still see zero ads - that's really great!

I'm glad you found this useful Christel, thank you for the feedback!!!
Regarding blockers, I've been able to install UBlockOrigin on Vivaldi and it works perfectly (just visit the Chrome webstore from Vivaldi). Off-course sites load a lot slower when using such powerful solutions.

For productivity, so far, the notes system stands out to me, just a neat way to organize references with a link. If you add a link at the bottom of the note, when you access the again later it loads the associated page.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vivaldi browser as a productivity do-it-all for translators

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »