Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:43
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 6, 2008

Hi all,

I will spend three months in Singapore, so I'm looking for a beginners/conversation course in Malay.
I'm not aiming for a full time academic course, just a way to banter with my inlaws.

I will be staying in the North East, so if you have any recommentations or pointers where I should look (Language Schools, Tuition Centres, Community Clubs?), I'd be really grateful!

/Jan

definitions
definitions
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 10:43
English
+ ...
some suggestions... Feb 7, 2008

Hi Jan,
I am not familiar with the North-East, but it's really easy to get around in Singapore and since you will be there for 3 mths, you need not (& I emphasise, SHOULD NOT) restrict yourself to that area. Have you looked up inlingua? It's a language school & has Malay courses. Look up the CCs near you, some might have Malay lang. programmes & they're likely cheaper.

There's another alternative to classes. There are many libraries (Woodlands Library is one of my favourites &
... See more
Hi Jan,
I am not familiar with the North-East, but it's really easy to get around in Singapore and since you will be there for 3 mths, you need not (& I emphasise, SHOULD NOT) restrict yourself to that area. Have you looked up inlingua? It's a language school & has Malay courses. Look up the CCs near you, some might have Malay lang. programmes & they're likely cheaper.

There's another alternative to classes. There are many libraries (Woodlands Library is one of my favourites & has tonnes of Malay stuff) where you can borrow those audio lessons-- this way you can go at your own pace & it won't cost you anything.

I think you should also invest in one of those Conversational/Berlitz Malay books.
IMO they're useful for beginners. Malay is very phonetic-- what you see is what you read. I'm sure you'll be speaking it in no time. Good luck!
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:43
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More language schools?! Feb 8, 2008

definitions wrote:

Hi Jan,

There's another alternative to classes. There are many libraries (Woodlands Library is one of my favourites & has tonnes of Malay stuff) where you can borrow those audio lessons-- this way you can go at your own pace & it won't cost you anything.

I think you should also invest in one of those Conversational/Berlitz Malay books.
IMO they're useful for beginners. Malay is very phonetic-- what you see is what you read. I'm sure you'll be speaking it in no time. Good luck!

Thanks a lot!

I will need some kind of institution/CC/tuition centre, because I need a "diploma" to show my landlord when I sublet my flat here in Sweden. Again, it doesn't have to be an academic course, as long as I get some kind of paper when signing up

Is this the Inlingua you refer to?
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~inlingua/location.htm

I guess the Orchard area offers more competition when it comes to language schools. After all, there aren't many ang mohs hanging out in the NE...

Does Inlingua has a special edge in Malay, or do you have any other reason to recommend them?

Thanks again,

/Jan

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Malay language course in Singapore?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »