Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:19
English to Polish
+ ...
@ in Polish Oct 2, 2010

I'm so glad to be the first Pole here to break the news to you.

We call the @ symbol małpa, which literally means monkey.

Someone, somewhere in our country thought once that the @ symbol looked decidedly like a monkey, sitting on a branch somewhere, sleeping, maybe producing monkey guano. Hence, monkey. Amazingly, it's intuitive enough (to me as well) to have been widely a
... See more
I'm so glad to be the first Pole here to break the news to you.

We call the @ symbol małpa, which literally means monkey.

Someone, somewhere in our country thought once that the @ symbol looked decidedly like a monkey, sitting on a branch somewhere, sleeping, maybe producing monkey guano. Hence, monkey. Amazingly, it's intuitive enough (to me as well) to have been widely adopted.

Because my own address only has my first name before the @ symbol, spelling it out I sound like I'm introducing myself as "Chris the monkey".

[Edited at 2010-10-02 07:00 GMT]
Collapse

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:19
Greek to English
@ in Greek Oct 2, 2010

For what it's worth, Greeks perceive this symbol, not as a monkey, or an elephant's trunk, nor even as a dog, but as the head of a cartoon duck (e.g. Donald). The word for that in Greek is papaki (little duck). If you imagine the central a and the space to the right of it as the duck's eyes, and the curl underneath as the beak ... well, you either get it or you don't.

The website papaki.gr is one of the main domain name registrants in Greece.

[Edited at 2010-10-02 09:1
... See more
For what it's worth, Greeks perceive this symbol, not as a monkey, or an elephant's trunk, nor even as a dog, but as the head of a cartoon duck (e.g. Donald). The word for that in Greek is papaki (little duck). If you imagine the central a and the space to the right of it as the duck's eyes, and the curl underneath as the beak ... well, you either get it or you don't.

The website papaki.gr is one of the main domain name registrants in Greece.

[Edited at 2010-10-02 09:19 GMT]
Collapse

Romeo Mlinar
Romeo Mlinar
Portugal
Local time: 15:19
English to Serbian
+ ...
@ Oct 4, 2010

In Serbian colloquial "@" is called "crazy A".

"Yes, yes.. my mail is... 'example', then 'crazy a', 'gmail full stop com'"

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:19
Portuguese to English
+ ...
@ in French Oct 4, 2010

'Arobase' but also increasingly 'at'.

Andrea Russo
Andrea Russo
Italy
Local time: 16:19
English to Italian
+ ...
@ in Italian Jan 30, 2012

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

they say chiocciola (kee-OTCH-ola, more or less), which means "snail" - also very appropriate.

So [email protected] would be a (like hat) b chee chiociolla d e (like egg) eff-eh (long f, two syllables) punto eat (pronounced as short as possible) or punto ee t - some people pronounce the it as one word, some as separate letters.

Actually, the Italian sound [a] is different from the sound in hat, which is pronounced /'haet/. Also, to make things clearer for an English speaker, the first sound of chiocciola is /k/ (as in count), not the sound in church.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pronunciation of @ et al. throughout the world

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »