Ranking based on answering technical questions
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Feb 26, 2020

I'd like to propose a ranking based on answering technical questions in the forums, much like the Kudoz ranking based on answering linguistic questions.

E.g. the support for the Proz supported CAT tool CafeTran Espresso is largely based on user's responses. It would be nice to get some credits for that.

Jorge Payan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hans Feb 26, 2020

Hans Lenting wrote:
I'd like to propose a ranking based on answering technical questions in the forums. Support for the [CAT tools] is largely based on user's responses, [and it] would be nice to get some credits for that.

On the one hand, participation is its own reward, but on the other hand, I agree that it would be nice to get recognition for user support and that it would be nice if such recognition would affect one's ranking in the directory.

How do you propose to implement it, though? Not all questions in the forums are support requests. In addition, there is often not just one single correct answer or a single most correct answer -- in many cases, multiple participants in a thread contribute to the original asker's final experience. Also, some people may give the correct answer quicker yet less elegantly written, while others provide essentially the same answer in the same thread later, but written better. In addition, it is often the fact that more than one person gives what might otherwise be termed redundant answers that allows the asker to evaluate the correctness of the answer.

I'm also a little concerned that if answers become points-based, more people will simply google for an answer. Currently, answerers do sometimes google for it, but in general an answerer does not give an answer unless he is reasonably certain of himself. If it becomes points-based, more people will post answers that they are less certain of, on the off-chance that they get it right. This will make forum answers less reliable for askers.

Also, the playing field might not be equal: answerers for tools that are less intuitive may end up getting more points; answerers for tools that have more users may end up getting more points; answerers for forums with lots of answerers will end up getting fewer points.

Suggestion: helpfulness awards per subforum, with temporary KudoZ points boost

One solution may be to hand out "most helpful" awards quarterly instead of annually, and per subforum instead of forum-wide, as is currently the case. Then, in the directory, having such awards (and there are others, too) would give you a +10% KudoZ points boost (temporary, for the duration of the award period). Or: do the awards per year as usual, but do them on a per-subforum basis.

I'm not sure how best to ensure that voting for such an award has high visibility without being annoying, since this would be a regular thing. Would you restrict voting to anyone who started a thread? After all, people who do not start threads may also find replies helpful and learn from them.

[Edited at 2020-02-26 08:57 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Just saw this at Stack Overflow Mar 2, 2020

I just noticed this at Stack Overflow:

Screenshot 2020-03-02 at 08.49.04

I'm sure there must be a way for Proz to implement something like this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ranking based on answering technical questions

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »