how can i keep a | character in my .stl ?
Thread poster: croxanas
Nov 8, 2012

DICLAIMER: i'm a complete n00b when it comes to subtitling. i'm doing a job where the subtitles are in bangla [bangladeshi] and the problem is that their full stop [period] is a |.

so obviously i'm having the problem that where ever there's the end of a sentence i get a new line and my | disappears so i have an hour's worth of subtitles with crappy punctuation.

is there anyway to keep the | character in the subtitles or am i fighting a losing battle?

i've
... See more
DICLAIMER: i'm a complete n00b when it comes to subtitling. i'm doing a job where the subtitles are in bangla [bangladeshi] and the problem is that their full stop [period] is a |.

so obviously i'm having the problem that where ever there's the end of a sentence i get a new line and my | disappears so i have an hour's worth of subtitles with crappy punctuation.

is there anyway to keep the | character in the subtitles or am i fighting a losing battle?

i've created my .stl from an .xml through FCxmlSubtitleXtractor, edited it as a text file and everything else is working just as i need it to in dvd studio pro, i just need to be able to keep the |s !!

does any one else out there have experience with bangla subtitling?

any help is most appreciated!

thanks,
Chantale
Collapse

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:56
English
+ ...
I think it's an encoding problem Nov 14, 2012

The .stl format should support | - at least it does in the files I export, so it's probably being lost when you change formats. Try using a different program for the conversion.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
As I understand it Nov 14, 2012

Chantale's problem is the DVD Studio Pro line separator being an actual orthographic character. I haven't used studio pro myself, but on PC programs, it's possible to assign another character as line separator. I'm wondering whether another character might substitute for full sentence stop, but I have no knowledge of Bangladeshi.

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 14:56
English to Italian
+ ...
I don't use DVD Studio Pro Nov 14, 2012

What are you trying to do with it? Maybe there's some other software you can use instead? Also you may want to try converting the stl into some other Studio Pro friendly format... I mean are you sure you have used the stl extension that's specific to DVD Studio Pro, not all stls are fine e.g. EBU stl might not work, but as I said I have never used the software, just mumbling about.

[Edited at 2012-11-14 17:46 GMT]

croxanas
croxanas
TOPIC STARTER
i think the problem was a non-unicode bangla font Nov 18, 2012

hi all,

thanks for your replies...i'm pretty sure the problem was the font i was given to use. the translator was initially told it didn't matter what font she used, and the one she did use [sutonnyMJ] worked fine in FCP, but not fine when we went to create the .stl because it was a non-unicode font [which i didn't realise].

tests done re-typing the subtitles with avro [a unicode bangla font] seems promising as the darrie [bangla full stop] uses the english [.] to creat
... See more
hi all,

thanks for your replies...i'm pretty sure the problem was the font i was given to use. the translator was initially told it didn't matter what font she used, and the one she did use [sutonnyMJ] worked fine in FCP, but not fine when we went to create the .stl because it was a non-unicode font [which i didn't realise].

tests done re-typing the subtitles with avro [a unicode bangla font] seems promising as the darrie [bangla full stop] uses the english [.] to create the [|] character, leaving the [|] to fulfill its function as a line break

everything else was fine, the .stl format is the correct one and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that the problem has been resolved satisfactorily.

thanks again,
Chantale
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how can i keep a | character in my .stl ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »