Readlang - my web app for reading in foreign languages
Thread poster: SteveRidout
SteveRidout
SteveRidout
United Kingdom
Feb 10, 2014

Hello, I was referred here by a colleague (a former translator) who said that this community might be interested in my website.

The site is http://readlang.com

It lets you read websites or long form textual content (e.g. novels). You can click to translate the words and phrases you don't know, and learn them later with flashcards.

Here are a few more details:

Hello, I was referred here by a colleague (a former translator) who said that this community might be interested in my website.

The site is http://readlang.com

It lets you read websites or long form textual content (e.g. novels). You can click to translate the words and phrases you don't know, and learn them later with flashcards.

Here are a few more details:

• Flashcards are prioritised by the frequency of each word in your target language, so you learn the most useful words first

• A spaced repetition system adapts the scheduling of each word/phrase depending on your performance

• Translations are provided from Google Translate and other online dictionaries, but you are highly encouraged to refine the translations yourself before committing them to memory using the flashcards.

• Export your entire translation history in a flexible plain text format for import into other learning tools, e.g. Anki.

I started work on it over a year ago to help myself learn Spanish and have worked on it full time since then. I've mentioned it to a couple of professional translators who said the concept shared similarities to "Translation Memory" software, which I'm not personally familiar with. If you are interested or have any questions or feedback, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,
Steve
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Readlang - my web app for reading in foreign languages

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »