Marc Van Gastel
Marc Van Gastel  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:36
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 13, 2022

Have been using Trados for almost 20 years. I picked up rumours about the number of languages available for translation in Trados 2022, being reduced to 3, from the previous 4 or 5. I use 4 at least every month, so that would be a real setback.
Here is my conversation with the helpdesk (Adrian in Rumania) on the topic today June 13, 2022.

Me: Is it true that Studio Freelance allows selection of THREE working translation languages, i.e. one less than in my current version?... See more
Have been using Trados for almost 20 years. I picked up rumours about the number of languages available for translation in Trados 2022, being reduced to 3, from the previous 4 or 5. I use 4 at least every month, so that would be a real setback.
Here is my conversation with the helpdesk (Adrian in Rumania) on the topic today June 13, 2022.

Me: Is it true that Studio Freelance allows selection of THREE working translation languages, i.e. one less than in my current version?
Adrian: Hello! Thank you for contacting us via chat! The Freelance version allows 3 target languages per project, so you can set totally different languages with each project. For example, you can have Dutch as source language, and German, English, and French as target languages for one project, and have French as source language, and have Italian, Spanish and Swedish as target languages for another project.
Me: I mean can I select 4 languages (or more) in the INITIAL setup and can each one of them be used as source and target, one on one. I don't ever need mulltile source and/of target languages simultaneously, that would be a project manager thing.
Adrian: You are not being asked to set languages with this version, as the source and target languages are set per project. The 2019 version was the last version where you were asked to set 5 languages. but with the 2021 or 2022 version, the languages are set during project creating, not with the initial SETUP. I hope this makes sense.
Me: OK, sounds like something really new, and perhaps actually an expansion on previous versions. Thank you, that addressed my main concern for now.

To summarize my interpretation: multiple language setup PER project (1/source and 3/target), but no limits are set in the INITAL TRADOS setup, which is an expansion from a limit of 4 (or was it 5?) to any language. If true, that sounds great to me and an indication of substantial changes in the new version. I am in fact using version 2021 and I thought, apparently incorrectly, that I did have to select languages...

Comments welcome if I got something wrong.

[Edited at 2022-06-13 17:37 GMT]
Collapse

afshin sajedi

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:36
English to Russian
Unlimited. You got it right Jun 14, 2022

The number of languages is not limited since version 2021. When you create a conventional (bilingual) Studio project, you can choose any language, either as your source or target language, from the whole list of languages, not only 4 or 5. They mean that you can use up to 3 target languages when you create a multilingual project, trilingual when you have one source and two target languages or quadrilingual when you have one source and three target languages.
Actually, what regards the lis
... See more
The number of languages is not limited since version 2021. When you create a conventional (bilingual) Studio project, you can choose any language, either as your source or target language, from the whole list of languages, not only 4 or 5. They mean that you can use up to 3 target languages when you create a multilingual project, trilingual when you have one source and two target languages or quadrilingual when you have one source and three target languages.
Actually, what regards the list of supported languages, there is no substantial change in the new version. Trados 2021 works exactly the same way.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Number of available languages in Trados 2022 Freelance

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »