Incompatibility between SDL Trados and XTM CLoud for some language variants
Thread poster: William Hartley
William Hartley
William Hartley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:20
Jun 22, 2022

Hi everyone,

I have been having a few incompatibility issues when using SDL Trados 2021 and XTM Cloud. Normally, I download an xlf file from XTM Cloud and create a project on SDL Trados. Once the file has been translated on Trados, I can easily export a target xlf and upload it to XTM Cloud.

However, for translations into Spanish, there seems to be a mismatch between the language variants on XTM and those on SDL Trados. This means that when I try to create the project o
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have been having a few incompatibility issues when using SDL Trados 2021 and XTM Cloud. Normally, I download an xlf file from XTM Cloud and create a project on SDL Trados. Once the file has been translated on Trados, I can easily export a target xlf and upload it to XTM Cloud.

However, for translations into Spanish, there seems to be a mismatch between the language variants on XTM and those on SDL Trados. This means that when I try to create the project on Trados using a file for translation into Spanish that has been uploaded on XTM, I get the following error message: "The detected target language does not match that expected by the project". We have tried different language variants that share the name in both CAT tools (Spanish -International-, Spanish - Spain-), but nothing works. The same goes for Norwegian and its different variants, for instance.

The support teams have not been of great help, so I would appreciate any advice. If anyone has had the same issues and has managed to sort them out, I would love to hear what they have done.

Thank you very much.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:20
English to Russian
If you know that different language variants are the culprit, Jun 22, 2022

why don't you setup a project with the same language variant?
Can you share an example of your XLF file?

[Edited at 2022-06-22 12:50 GMT]

William Hartley
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
We tried creating a project with the same language variant, but it didn't work Jun 22, 2022

Hi Stepan,

Thank you for your insight. We have tried creating a project with the exact same variant (in this case, Spanish International), but it didn't work either. It could be that, despite being labelled as the same variant, the two CAT tools code the files differently and, thus, Trados doesn't recognise the language pair set on XTM Cloud.

Have you ever had a similar issue?

Many thanks.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Example Jun 22, 2022

Can you share an example of your XLF file?

William Hartley
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Incompatibility between SDL Trados and XTM CLoud for some language variants Jun 22, 2022

Hi Stepan,

Unfortunately, I cannot due to confidentiality obligations. Thank you for your help in any case.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Replace language code Jun 22, 2022

You can open your xlf file with Notepad++ and check out the language code it uses. If the language code is different from that in sdlxliff file, replace all instances with the sdlxliff language code. Once you are done with translation, replace the language code again with the original one.

William Hartley

William Hartley
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Notepad++ - changing language code Jun 23, 2022

Hi Stepan,

I will give that a go and see if works. Thank you for your help!

William Hartley
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Notepad++ - changing language code - SOLVED Jun 23, 2022

Hi Stepan,

Changing the language code on Notepad worked!! Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Incompatibility between SDL Trados and XTM CLoud for some language variants

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »