Thread poster: Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:48
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 3, 2023

I have a translation that is being done with an old TM. Some translations in the TM are imprecise or outdated. Now I'm at the end of a big job and I've found out that, for instance, the name of a device was translated incorrectly. If I change the translation on segment 1000, what happens to the 100% and context matches that come before? What is the best way to ensure they're either:
- Automatically updated to the new translation
- Highlighted / Set to unconfirmed
- Have some ki
... See more
I have a translation that is being done with an old TM. Some translations in the TM are imprecise or outdated. Now I'm at the end of a big job and I've found out that, for instance, the name of a device was translated incorrectly. If I change the translation on segment 1000, what happens to the 100% and context matches that come before? What is the best way to ensure they're either:
- Have some kind of penalty show up.

Is there also a way to have trados show me any segments that are a 80% or higher match that have been translated differently?

Thank you,

Serena
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:48
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Use filter Aug 3, 2023

Serena Marangoni wrote:
- Have some kind of penalty show up.
Is there also a way to have trados show me any segments that are a 80% or higher match that have been translated differently?

My understanding is that Studio does not change the 100% and context matches even if you use a different translation later on. So I would use a filter, where I filtered on the source term in question. Or you could use Search and Replace, though in that case you are not totally certain to catch all instances of wrong translation if the term has been translated in different ways. Filtering would be more certain. You then would catch both 100% matches and fuzzy matches.

One thing, though: If you change a term in 100% matches because it is wrong, usually the client would want you to tell them.

Serena Marangoni

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:48
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Set auto-propagation options and a verifier Aug 3, 2023

For your first question:

In: File > Options > Editor > Auto-propagation

Select: Auto-propagate exact matches to confirmed segments
Auto-propagate from: First segment in document

This will update all segments in the file, even confirmed ones, as long as they are all 100% matches. This will not update perfect matches, though.

There is an option to prompt you to confirm each change, if you wa
... See more
For your first question:

In: File > Options > Editor > Auto-propagation

Select: Auto-propagate exact matches to confirmed segments
Auto-propagate from: First segment in document

This will update all segments in the file, even confirmed ones, as long as they are all 100% matches. This will not update perfect matches, though.

There is an option to prompt you to confirm each change, if you want that. You can read more here:
https://docs.rws.com/980998/344868/trados-studio-2022/file---options---editor---auto-propagation

For your second question:

Got to: Project Settings > Verification > QA Checker 3.0 > Inconsistencies

Select: Check for inconsistent translations

This will only compare and warn about 100% matches.

https://docs.rws.com/980998/571369/trados-studio-2022/specifying-inconsistencies-for-qa-checker

To check for terminology, you can use the "Terminology Verifier", under ... > Verification as above.

https://docs.rws.com/980998/345996/trados-studio-2022/terminology-verifier---verification-settings
Collapse

Serena Marangoni
Jorge Payan
Xanthippe

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
In this case... Aug 5, 2023

the best thing to do would be to SEARCH the SOURCE text for the term (after moving the cursor to segment 1), manually change the TARGET text and then CONFIRM the segment. Any 100% matches should auto-propagate. Doing it this way may take a little longer, but then you won't have to go back and re-read all the segments to check for errors/omissions with the new term.

[Edited at 2023-08-05 20:45 GMT]

Angie Garbarino

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Trados actually help with this?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »