Trados Studio 2019 stalls when creating project using "Translate as single document"
Thread poster: Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:40
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Mar 11

I recently moved to a new PC and have reinstalled Trados 2019. It is mostly working fine, but I'm having a problem whereby I drop a Word file on the "Drag files for translation or browse your computer" part of the window, and the usual dialogue comes up for "Create as new project" or "Translate as a single document".

I click the latter, and it pops up the "Translation memory and document settings" dialog box, with the source language set to English and the target language not set. I
... See more
I recently moved to a new PC and have reinstalled Trados 2019. It is mostly working fine, but I'm having a problem whereby I drop a Word file on the "Drag files for translation or browse your computer" part of the window, and the usual dialogue comes up for "Create as new project" or "Translate as a single document".

I click the latter, and it pops up the "Translation memory and document settings" dialog box, with the source language set to English and the target language not set. I change the source to Japanese and the target to English. And that's where it stops. I cannot proceed further even if I click on the OK button, or on the Advanced... button. Nothing happens, the wizard does not move forward to the next step, nor do any dialog boxes appear. I can cancel, but of course that doesn't help.

If on the other hand I click on "Create as new project", the dialogue box that pops up has the right source and target language, and everything proceeds as one would expect. So I'm not prevented from working, but it is an irritant. Nothing has a lock on the source file, and track changes is not on.

I seem to remember having bumped into this problem before a few years ago, I don't remember how I resolved it. I'm guessing it's some maddeningly obscure setting somewhere that I've neglected to tick, and which Trados is now using to punish me.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:40
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Possible workaround Mar 14

When specifying the languages, if I click the "swap" button (not sure what it's called) on the right then the source and target languages reverse and the dialog box suddenly changes to offering me the opportunity to add/remove a TM. When I clicked the "swap" button again, the languages reversed again but I still had the ability to add TMs, and I was able to go forward through the wizard. So for now, I can work around it.

However, I don't like not knowing why this has happened. I hav
... See more
When specifying the languages, if I click the "swap" button (not sure what it's called) on the right then the source and target languages reverse and the dialog box suddenly changes to offering me the opportunity to add/remove a TM. When I clicked the "swap" button again, the languages reversed again but I still had the ability to add TMs, and I was able to go forward through the wizard. So for now, I can work around it.

However, I don't like not knowing why this has happened. I have always been a bit suspicious of the whole language setup thing with Trados, which seems to be a pointless piece of admin work inserted to resolve some obscure problem within Trados itself.

Regards,
Dan
Collapse

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2019 stalls when creating project using "Translate as single document"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »