Spanish to English translation rates and practices in Spain (literary translation)
Thread poster: GranadaEnglish
Dec 1, 2010

Hello all!

I'm a freelance English teacher and translator based in Spain. I am new to the forum and have taken a look at the other threads related to my questions but I still have some doubts. In another thread it was suggested that anything from 0.04-0.08€/word Spanish to English is what can be expected from the Spanish agencies depending on the quantity of work and experience. However, I am usually approached by private clients and, even after asking some colleagues, am unsure o
... See more
Hello all!

I'm a freelance English teacher and translator based in Spain. I am new to the forum and have taken a look at the other threads related to my questions but I still have some doubts. In another thread it was suggested that anything from 0.04-0.08€/word Spanish to English is what can be expected from the Spanish agencies depending on the quantity of work and experience. However, I am usually approached by private clients and, even after asking some colleagues, am unsure of how much to charge. When I started translating (for a private client) I received 0.04€/word and after reading the other thread and looking around at what others charge on the internet I feel like it's time to up the price!

How much is normal to charge private clients for:

1) Translation of Spanish articles to English for publication in magazines?
2) Translation from Spanish to English of a text from a book (approx. 150-200 pages)?

I normally just translate for magazines and have been approached recently about the book. I haven't been given any details but I wanted to resolve my doubts about it before persuing the possibility.

Do you charge an extra amount for the reading and revision time as it's a long text?
Does the copyright have anything to do with me?

I also believed (and read on the forum) that literary translations are exempt from tax. Would the term 'literary' extend to magazine articles? I didn't think it did, but the rules here are like riddles so I'd like to confirm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much,

Natasha
Collapse

Elena Pérez
Elena Pérez  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 23:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Muy poco Dec 2, 2010

Hola, Natasha:

No sé a qué te refieres exactamente cuando hablas de «private clients», pero 4 céntimos por palabra es poquísimo. No sabría decirte qué es una tarifa «normal», pero, en tu combinación, yo no pediría menos de 8 céntimos por palabra. Te recomiendo que te descargues CalPro, la herramienta que elaboraron varios
... See more
Hola, Natasha:

No sé a qué te refieres exactamente cuando hablas de «private clients», pero 4 céntimos por palabra es poquísimo. No sabría decirte qué es una tarifa «normal», pero, en tu combinación, yo no pediría menos de 8 céntimos por palabra. Te recomiendo que te descargues CalPro, la herramienta que elaboraron varios socios de Asetrad http://www.asetrad.org/pdfs/CalPro_v1.3.xls para que compruebes tú misma que con 4 céntimos NO se puede vivir.

En cuanto a lo que comentas de la traducción de libros y los derechos de autor, todo dependerá del país en el que se vaya a publicar el libro, pero lo lógico es que el traductor cobre derechos de autor.

En lo que respecta a la exención de impuestos para las literarias, no hay que cobrar IVA si lo que cobra el traductor son derechos de autor, para lo que debería haber un contrato de edición. De cualquier modo, como ya te comenté antes, la legislación sobre derechos de autor no es la misma en todas partes, así que deberías informarte sobre la legislación aplicable a tu caso concreto. Lógicamente, tus ingresos estarán sujetos al IRPF.

[Editado a las 2010-12-02 13:53 GMT]

[Editado a las 2010-12-02 13:53 GMT]

[Editado a las 2010-12-02 13:54 GMT]
Collapse

GranadaEnglish
GranadaEnglish
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias Dec 4, 2010

Hola Elena!

Muchas gracias por tu ayuda. Buscare mas informacion sobre los temas que me has comentado.

Un saludo,

Natasha

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish to English translation rates and practices in Spain (literary translation)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »