Interpreter rates for translation companies in Spain.
Thread poster: yugoslavia
yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
Local time: 11:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 30, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I'm writing because I was offered an interpreter project in The United States by a company located in Spain. The company wants to take 10% commision from my invoice that I will send to the translation agency for the interpretation that will be done for this client.

I was wondering if it is a common practice for the companies in Spain and other European countries.

I know in The United States we get paid for the interpreter work hourly but th
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'm writing because I was offered an interpreter project in The United States by a company located in Spain. The company wants to take 10% commision from my invoice that I will send to the translation agency for the interpretation that will be done for this client.

I was wondering if it is a common practice for the companies in Spain and other European countries.

I know in The United States we get paid for the interpreter work hourly but the translation companies don't take commision fees. They just charge a higher interpreter services fee to the client and we usually share the earnings for the interpretation assignment.

Your prompt answer will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Yugoslavia
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Kind of an oxymoron, isn't it? May 31, 2011

By Spanish law, a commission agent is YOUR agent, and not THEIR OWN contractor. The agent would need a mandate (commission) from you, usually in the form of a contract, and would have a duty to represent you. Not to mention that an accountant once told me the tax regime is totally different. Or do they mean a "finder's fee"?

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias por responder. May 31, 2011

Hola Parrot,

Te estoy escribiendo en Castellano. Es mas facil expresarlo en Castellano para este asunto. Es una comision de la empresa pero no entiendo porque. Las empresas en el Reino Unido nunca me cobraron esta comision para interpretaciones. Creo que las empresas de traduccion deben cobrar una tarifa mas alta a sus clientes y pagarme por mis servicios completamente como lo hacen en Los Estados Unidos.

Gracias por tu sugerencia.

Yugoslavia

nicoletta jamin
nicoletta jamin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:54
Member (2010)
German to Spanish
+ ...
COMISIÓN Jun 1, 2011

Hola,

Si es totalmente normal y de buen uso el dar un 10% al compañero que te proporciona un trabajo.

Un saludo,

N.J.

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias Jun 3, 2011

Hola Nicoleta,

Crees que la empresa ganaria solo 10% del trabajo que nosotros los interpretes hicimos por ellos?

No te parece que no es muy beneficioso para ellos y sospechoso a la vez?

Gracias.

Yugoslavia

[Edited at 2011-06-03 11:47 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreter rates for translation companies in Spain.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »