Moving from freelancing to in-house project management
ناشر الموضوع: cranium
cranium
cranium
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Oct 16, 2014

Hello all Has anyone been involved in the hiring process in-house? If so, I would love to hear your tips on how to present info on a résumé or what to highlight in a letter of motivation for this specific career move. Thanks.

[Edited at 2014-10-16 13:48 GMT]

Mariano Saab
Mariano Saab
الأرجنتين
Local time: 18:21
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
My (bad) experience as a PM Oct 16, 2014

Hi there,

I know that title is not very motivating but I tried moving from being a freelance translator to becoming an in-house project manager. I realized I no longer wanted to be an "employee". I hate having a boss, even though you will have a lot of responsibilities yourself as a PM. I went back to freelancing and it's the best move I've ever made. I really missed translating.

Anyways, if you want to showcase your skills to get the job, I encourage you to highlight
... See more
Hi there,

I know that title is not very motivating but I tried moving from being a freelance translator to becoming an in-house project manager. I realized I no longer wanted to be an "employee". I hate having a boss, even though you will have a lot of responsibilities yourself as a PM. I went back to freelancing and it's the best move I've ever made. I really missed translating.

Anyways, if you want to showcase your skills to get the job, I encourage you to highlight your office skills, such as being able to work under A LOT of pressure, multitasking (a must), dealing with short deadlines and the like. Sometimes you will need to have a "think outside the box" attitude to ensure the project is delivered on time. Translation agencies have their own project management workflow so you also need to demonstrate that you are a systematic person who adapts quickly to fast-paced environments.
I assume you will be offered a fixed work schedule but be ready to work overtime (and hopefully get paid extra for that, which is rare). If you have been involved in project management in the past, you should focus on stressing that. Decision-making is something PM recruiters are looking forward to seeing in a candidate.
By the way, don't forget to mention which CAT Tools and computer software you are proficient with. That's of utmost importance.

Good luck, hope you get the job you want!

[Edited at 2014-10-16 15:25 GMT]
Collapse

cranium
cranium
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Thanks, Mariano Oct 17, 2014

I'll use those tips

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving from freelancing to in-house project management

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »