Local time: 03:33
Miembro 2010
alemán al inglés
+ ...

Moderador de este foro
Jan 25, 2017

All,

I am using Across Langauge Server 6.0.
For a regular customer of mine I work in Remote Client mode downloading/uploading data from/to the company’s server.

I am trying to understand how Across handles crossTank and crossTerm entries.
The relevant Across
... See more
All,

I am using Across Langauge Server 6.0.
For a regular customer of mine I work in Remote Client mode downloading/uploading data from/to the company’s server.

I am trying to understand how Across handles crossTank and crossTerm entries.
The relevant Across online help page (http://www.across.net/online-help/v60/across/data/acrossHaupt926.htm) states:

[…] Complete deletion of all crossTank and crossTerm data is possible at a time when all assigned tasks have been finished and uploaded to the Across Server. To do so, all tasks must be withdrawn from the offline user on the Across Server side. Then the offline user must normally connect to the Across Server in order to sync the tasks and confirm the message "The project manager has unassigned you from task: 'Name of the task. Should the task be deleted from your local database?" with Yes. In this way, all tasks will be deleted on the offline user side. […]

I get the 'Should the task be deleted from your local database?' question for each completed task.
What happens to my local crossTank and crossTerm data if at this point I answer 'No' to the 'Should the task be deleted from your local database?' question? Are these data indeed not deleted on my end? Or are they deleted regardless of my answer.

One consequence of answering 'No' is that the questions for completed tasks keep popping up each time I connect to the server, i.e. each time I synchronise tasks. As I keep completing tasks and answering 'No' to the respective questions the list of questions keeps getting longer and longer.

I am asking this question because I am 'hungry' for crossTank and crossTerm data and would rather retain them locally, if this is an option. The abovementioned help page states:

[…] If the option "Store as permanent entries" is activated in the settings of the offline user, the crossTank and/or crossTerm entries will not be deleted. […]

It appears that my customer has not chosen this option. Does my choice of answer to the 'Should the task be deleted from your local database?' question override my customer’s selection (at the price of never-ending repeats of the question on my side)?

I will appreciate all comments.

Peter
Collapse

Gerald von Stein-Salisbury
Local time: 19:33
inglés al alemán
Across TM in your Offline Client Jan 29, 2017

I must point out that discussing the fate of CrossTank Translation Memory is very interesting but nevertheless "purely academic". In general the offline translator receives a certain translation memory from the Across Server, the translator takes care of the translation and then sends the translation back together with a modified and slightly larger translation memory. The new translation memory is then absorbed into the servers database. This is where it it belongs.

And whenever a
... See more
I must point out that discussing the fate of CrossTank Translation Memory is very interesting but nevertheless "purely academic". In general the offline translator receives a certain translation memory from the Across Server, the translator takes care of the translation and then sends the translation back together with a modified and slightly larger translation memory. The new translation memory is then absorbed into the servers database. This is where it it belongs.

And whenever a new translation is needed the server sends the translator a "fresh translation memory". It might be identical but it might have been corrected or updated e.g. by the foreign branch office of the guys running the Across Server.

And in general: Whenever a task is finished on the Offline Client side the according TM is eventually deleted because the "real" version of the TM in the meantime is where it belongs: In the database of the people that maintain and manage the TM and who have paid for the TM.

And yes, there are translators that kind of feel ripped off when the TM is suddenly gone and they do not have any control over it anymore. The "TM may remain at the Offline Client" option is for these guys, a purely political function as the "real and perhaps correct" TM is located at the server. But the default option is "OFF" I think.

For backup and TM hungry translators there is mostly the possibility to make a backup of the SQL Express database or save the Offline TM to TMX from within the CrossTank Manager. The TMX option can nevertheless be prohibited by the server, but as far as I know it works in general. Check it out. It might work for you within the settings of you and the Project settings from your customer.

But: All functions mentioned here are subject to the individual settings of the Across Server itself, the CrossWan Settings, the System Settings and the Project settings. So things might be different from case to case.

And: Thinking that you really need to hold on to the customers Translation Memory does not necessarily mean that you really need to hold on to it. Hope this helps.
Collapse

Peter Zauner
Peter Zauner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:33
Miembro 2010
alemán al inglés
+ ...

Moderador de este foro
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Thank you, Feb 7, 2017

Gerald, for your explanations.

I definitely have no permission to export from the respective CrossTank and CrossTerm managers.
As I don't have any knowledge of SQL I would not even know where to start querying the database although I have found interesting instructions in a document called 'access to across database via EXCEL.doc' in the crossGoddies folder.
Just out of curiosity: what is the default local folder of this database? There is nothing in my C:\Program Files
... See more
Gerald, for your explanations.

I definitely have no permission to export from the respective CrossTank and CrossTerm managers.
As I don't have any knowledge of SQL I would not even know where to start querying the database although I have found interesting instructions in a document called 'access to across database via EXCEL.doc' in the crossGoddies folder.
Just out of curiosity: what is the default local folder of this database? There is nothing in my C:\Program Files (x86)\across\localdatabases.

Regards,

Peter
Collapse

Local time: 19:33
inglés al alemán
How does the Database work? It works very good. Feb 10, 2017

This is an example where it could be, but I am not sure: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fate of crossTank and crossTerm entries in Remote Client mode

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »