Inițiatorul discuției: Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugalia
Local time: 19:54
din lituaniană în portugheză
+ ...
Apr 11, 2016

Dear all, I am sitting here and wondering: am i going nuts compeltely? have I fallen out of a too fast train? Don't know what to think already.
I've got this email today, an urgent (of course!) one: in the cours of the tender that we have applied, please send, preferably still today, the following data:
- your birth country and city
- your marital status.
The birth country may have some relevance for the mother tongue (and what about kids born to a military or diplomat fa
... See more
Dear all, I am sitting here and wondering: am i going nuts compeltely? have I fallen out of a too fast train? Don't know what to think already.
I've got this email today, an urgent (of course!) one: in the cours of the tender that we have applied, please send, preferably still today, the following data:
- your birth country and city
- your marital status.
The birth country may have some relevance for the mother tongue (and what about kids born to a military or diplomat families?),, but the city?
The marital status??? How, on earth, does it influence translating?
After so many years in the field, I have to admit - I am lost. Not that it would be a CIA-level secret, but the request to reveal my marital status killed me.
Or is it just the day that I don't see clear?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spania
Local time: 20:54
Membru (2005)
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Why are tenders all "urgent"? Apr 11, 2016

One fact that keeps surprising me is that EU tenders are always "urgent." Do not tenders give potential suppliers some days to prepare a tender? Are agencies not prepared with all necessary information about their suppliers, so that they can prepare a tender with sufficient time?

In my life, the more "urgent" my decision or my cooperation in some business was needed, the fishier the business looked (or was).

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Cehia
din franceză în engleză
+ ...
It's a matter of principle Apr 11, 2016

Not that I would like to make a secret out of my marital status and similar particulars, but I would politely explain that this information is not only irrelevant, but also constitutes potential grounds for illegal discrimination, and would request proof of their authority to collect such data and an explanation what they will use them for.

Inga Petkelyte
Portugalia
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Good point Apr 11, 2016

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

One fact that keeps surprising me is that EU tenders are always "urgent." Do not tenders give potential suppliers some days to prepare a tender? Are agencies not prepared with all necessary information about their suppliers, so that they can prepare a tender with sufficient time?

In my life, the more "urgent" my decision or my cooperation in some business was needed, the fishier the business looked (or was).

The most interesting part of it is the following:
- in the same tender, one bidder asked me to send sensitive fiscal and social secirity data. It was urgent, it was because the EU added new requirements, etc. I don't doubt the agency, don't have reasons to. But: they were the only ones from all the bidders in the same tender to request such info.
I didn't send anything. That was somewhat a month and a half ago.
- now this request, coming from another agency participating in the same bid, is the only one so far, other participants haven't requested such data.
Both in the same bid, both with a spot-urgency, with a huge time gap between the requests.

Thank you, Anton, for reassurance; I had already started doubting my own common sense!

Stuart Hoskins
Stuart Hoskins
din cehă în engleză
+ ...
One of your agencies made it through to the next round (?) Apr 11, 2016

The EU (?) may have required only general information in the first stage of the tender. "Your" agency then made it through to the next round, and the institution demanded proof - in the form of certificates etc. - of the information previously sent, along with more details about specific translators. This happened to me (with a central bank) at Easter - the institution told the agency to put together all this documentation in the space of a week. Some of it was quite personal/in depth. This was ... See more
The EU (?) may have required only general information in the first stage of the tender. "Your" agency then made it through to the next round, and the institution demanded proof - in the form of certificates etc. - of the information previously sent, along with more details about specific translators. This happened to me (with a central bank) at Easter - the institution told the agency to put together all this documentation in the space of a week. Some of it was quite personal/in depth. This was impossible for me over the holiday as I wasn't working from my office. Living where I do, the cynic in me thinks this may have been a deliberate ploy - place impossible/outrageous demands on the tenderers so that, hey presto, only one (favoured candidate) is left standing.

[Edited at 2016-04-11 16:08 GMT]
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
Statele Unite
din germană în engleză
+ ...
If they're bidding for a tender Apr 11, 2016

it's probably not worth replying anyway. They're just looking for a list of names to attach to their bid, and even if they win the contract you're unlikely to get any work.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spania
Membru (2005)
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Exactly Apr 11, 2016

philgoddard wrote:
it's probably not worth replying anyway. They're just looking for a list of names to attach to their bid, and even if they win the contract you're unlikely to get any work.

Every time I am asked for my papers for EU tenders, I ask the agency whether they would be willing to sign a letter of intent stating that, if the tender is won, I will be their first contact for my language pair. The result? None of them was willing to sign such commitment, and therefore I did not send the papers.

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
Franţa
din franceză în engleză
+ ...
Your new Panama hat Apr 11, 2016

Just ask Elton John, information on your personal relationships is and must remain confidential.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
Franţa
din franceză în engleză
I agree Apr 12, 2016

Your gender, your marital status, and why not your HIV status too (certificate dating from no fewer than three months) in case you go and die of AIDS before handing in your translation?

None of their {expletive deleted} business.

Editing to add that maybe they just want to know whether to call you Mrs or Miss or Ms or Mr, but still, this is an outdated concept, they need to be told that this is 2016.

[Edited at 2016-04-12 08:32 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 14:54
din engleză în franceză
+ ...
Top this! Apr 12, 2016

A few years ago, I was contacted by someone at the UN here in NYC.

I was asked to fill in a form asking, among many other things, whether I had children and what my weight was.

After stating politely that such questions are illegal in the State of NY, I was told "We are sorry that you can't work with us."

Texte Style wrote:

Your gender, your marital status, and why not your HIV status too (certificate dating from no fewer than three months) in case you go and die of AIDS before handing in your translation?

None of their {expletive deleted} business.

Editing to add that maybe they just want to know whether to call you Mrs or Miss or Ms or Mr, but still, this is an outdated concept, they need to be told that this is 2016.

[Edited at 2016-04-12 08:32 GMT]

Inga Petkelyte
Portugalia
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Whaaat? Apr 13, 2016

JL01 wrote:

A few years ago, I was contacted by someone at the UN here in NYC.

I was asked to fill in a form asking, among many other things, whether I had children and what my weight was.

After stating politely that such questions are illegal in the State of NY, I was told "We are sorry that you can't work with us."

Surely we want to secure a good, stable, well-paid and, where possible, prestigious job. But... I'd rather lose such opportunities but safeguard my privacy and dignity. In big organizations that is impossible.
In EU, a question about nationality (birth country and place) and about marital status is equally illegal but here we are - the EU itself seems to ask such questions.

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Maria S. Loose, LL.M.  Identity Verified
Belgia
din germană în engleză
+ ...
contractors have to state the identity of their subcontractors Apr 13, 2016

Under the new financial regulation governing the budget of the European Union, which entered into force on 1 January 2016, contractors have to state the identity of their subcontractors. The aim is to protect subcontractors in case they are not paid by contractors. In this case the EU would pay directly to subcontractors. The aim is also to prevent contractors from changing subcontractors without informing the contracting authority.

Inga Petkelyte
Portugalia
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Very good Apr 13, 2016

Maria S. Loose, LL.M. wrote:

Under the new financial regulation governing the budget of the European Union, which entered into force on 1 January 2016, contractors have to state the identity of their subcontractors. The aim is to protect subcontractors in case they are not paid by contractors. In this case the EU would pay directly to subcontractors. The aim is also to prevent contractors from changing subcontractors without informing the contracting authority.

Still, such personal questions are illegal and irrelevant for payment purposes.
The personal iD and the fiscal ID identify perfectly a translator, or any other service provider, as a creditor for payables. No service providers are paid based on their birth town or marital status. Moreover, that some translators invoice through a company - then the request to provide very personal details of the translator seems even more absurd.
I also wonder how this idea of direct payment by the EU would be implemented in reality. If my one's client is a EU contractor and fails to pay, such contractor most probably will fail to reveal to the EU which translation, and how much of it, has been provided by a specific translator. How is the EU going to proceed in such cases?

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Maria S. Loose, LL.M.  Identity Verified
Belgia
din germană în engleză
+ ...
Don't know Apr 13, 2016

I honestly don't know the answer to your questions. This legislation is very new and we'll have to see how it's going to be applied. Stating the names of the subcontractors when submitting offers is also aimed at preventing a later replacement of such subcontractors during contract performance. Let's wait and see how the situation will develop.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 14:54
din engleză în franceză
+ ...
Have I a deal for you Apr 13, 2016

Since you seem believe this, line-hook-and-sinker mode, I have a deal for you.

There's this bridge, that I am ready and willing to offer at an excellent price.

Maria S. Loose, LL.M. wrote:

I honestly don't know the answer to your questions. This legislation is very new and we'll have to see how it's going to be applied. Stating the names of the subcontractors when submitting offers is also aimed at preventing a later replacement of such subcontractors during contract performance. Let's wait and see how the situation will develop.

Număr de pagini:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much more of personal data?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »