Ketty Federico
Ketty Federico  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:28
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
Feb 8, 2023

I have been translating and transcreating texts (in marketing, fashion, video games, tourism) for 15 years now.
I have occasionally done copywriting too and I have enjoyed it a lot.
Now I would like to strenghten my knowledge of copywriting, learn some technical aspects and add this to the services I offer on a regular basis.
Maybe get a certification too?

Can you suggest courses about copywriting techniques?
I am mothertongue Italian, so courses in Italian w
... See more
I have been translating and transcreating texts (in marketing, fashion, video games, tourism) for 15 years now.
I have occasionally done copywriting too and I have enjoyed it a lot.
Now I would like to strenghten my knowledge of copywriting, learn some technical aspects and add this to the services I offer on a regular basis.
Maybe get a certification too?

Can you suggest courses about copywriting techniques?
I am mothertongue Italian, so courses in Italian would be the perfect thing.
My source languages when it comes to translation are English, German and French (so I'd be able to follow courses in these languages too).

Thanks a lot for your help!
It'd be great if you could recommend something you have tried yourself
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
What orientation? Feb 8, 2023

What type of writing are you interested in? Have you tried googling some courses?

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Copy 42 Feb 9, 2023

Hi Ketty,

I haven't taken any courses myself, but I'm considering taking part in one. I've been recommended this: https://www.copy42.it/ They organize several copywriting courses, depending on what exactly you're interested in (web writing, advertising, etc.). They are in Italian and are online-based, so you won't need to travel anywhere. They look quite promising and I'm considering them myself - the
... See more
Hi Ketty,

I haven't taken any courses myself, but I'm considering taking part in one. I've been recommended this: https://www.copy42.it/ They organize several copywriting courses, depending on what exactly you're interested in (web writing, advertising, etc.). They are in Italian and are online-based, so you won't need to travel anywhere. They look quite promising and I'm considering them myself - the problem is, they are rather expensive.

I hope this helps!
Collapse

Ketty Federico
Italy
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Seen that: looks super interesting! Feb 9, 2023

Marina Taffetani wrote:

Hi Ketty,

I haven't taken any courses myself, but I'm considering taking part in one. I've been recommended this: https://www.copy42.it/ They organize several copywriting courses, depending on what exactly you're interested in (web writing, advertising, etc.). They are in Italian and are online-based, so you won't need to travel anywhere. They look quite promising and I'm considering them myself - the problem is, they are rather expensive.

I hope this helps!

Hi Marianna,
it does, as I see that we have landed on the same course. I have seen they offer a very complete training, but yes, I agree that the cost is a bit high when you just want to explore more for the moment and see what it is like.
I will certainly consider copy42 at a later time.

Marina Taffetani

Ketty Federico
Italy
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Web writing Feb 9, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

What type of writing are you interested in? Have you tried googling some courses?

Thank you!
Yes, I was looking for web writing which can be useful for clients' blog posts and social media, as well as for landing pages.
Usually the kind of copy that would be useful for an online platform/business.

I have googled courses, but I was hoping to get other translators' opinion.

SAMON UT
SAMON UT
Cambodia
Local time: 16:28
English to Khmer (Central)
+ ...
Good idea! Oct 6, 2023

I think copywriting makes your work better. I usually follow different online courses that I find. I don't seek for a qualification, just to improve my knowledge and to evolve. I never bought any course since I found all the information I needed for free and I think you can start like this as well, but I guarantee you'll see how your work will improve.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 12:28
English to Russian
+ ...
The shortest writing course Oct 9, 2023

I remember this passage from QB VII (which is a recommended read for reasons other than said passage being funny) where a writer was giving a lecture on how to be a writer. "So you want to be a writer?" he asked, "then why the hell aren't you home writing?" And he walked out of the room. What I mean is, can (and should) this be taught at all? If you are good with language, have read many good books, and feel that you can create new original language rather than just copy and paste things from ot... See more
I remember this passage from QB VII (which is a recommended read for reasons other than said passage being funny) where a writer was giving a lecture on how to be a writer. "So you want to be a writer?" he asked, "then why the hell aren't you home writing?" And he walked out of the room. What I mean is, can (and should) this be taught at all? If you are good with language, have read many good books, and feel that you can create new original language rather than just copy and paste things from other sources, you can do copywriting already without taking any courses. Okay, maybe such courses can make a good starting point to up your worth in the market. But isn't this market even more vulnerable to AI replacement than translation? Populating landing pages and writing blog posts is what AI is really good at: it can easily generate smooth text that will communicate the desired message (without having to struggle with language differences, which is what makes translation hard for AI); there's no need to pay a copywriter for doing the same thing. Plus, I strongly believe that most of this 'creative content' like ads, product descriptions, attention-grabbers for websites, etc., don't matter much and can safely be automated. When I want to buy something online, I pay attention to practical things and aesthetics (as communicated by product images) rather than let myself get carried away by sales pitches. Not claiming that my take on this is universal. Maybe such copy is worth more than I think. I wonder if the HR people representing major publishing houses care much about whether a candidate has completed a copywriting course when hiring for a position that involves no-nonsense copywriting (which, I think, can't be automated just yet)

[Edited at 2023-10-09 09:59 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online courses for copywriters

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »