Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Do you use/ trust online backup solutions?
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani
Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:37
German to English
+ ...
Carbonite v Mozy? Aug 10, 2008

I've been reading up on both Carbonite and Mozy and they both sound pretty good, so I'm still unsure as to which to go for. Does anyone have experience of both and, if so, do you have any particular preference? What make you opt for one over the other?

Another issue for me is file size. I would like to be able to backup my Outlook .pst file online, but it's already more than 4 GB. According to what I read about Carbonite, this shouldn't be a problem:
No restrictions on individ
... See more
I've been reading up on both Carbonite and Mozy and they both sound pretty good, so I'm still unsure as to which to go for. Does anyone have experience of both and, if so, do you have any particular preference? What make you opt for one over the other?

Another issue for me is file size. I would like to be able to backup my Outlook .pst file online, but it's already more than 4 GB. According to what I read about Carbonite, this shouldn't be a problem:
No restrictions on individual file size
Just right click on any file to add it to your backup, no matter how large it is.

And before anyone lectures me about such a big .pst, it's in the newer Outlook 2003 format - apparently .psts over a certain size tend to cause problems if they are still in the old Outlook file format.

Fyi, another good tool I have recently started using: BackupOutlook: www.backupoutlook.com. I do this for local backups, but I'd also like to have remote backups (via e.g. Carbonite or Mozy) of my .pst.

Cheers,

Sarah
Collapse

Sarah Downing
German to English
+ ...
A few more reviews ... Aug 10, 2008

... that might help you compare services. These reviews (includes Carbonite, Mozy and Memopal) are nice and detailed and actually answer some of my questions that had up to now remained unanswered.

http://www.backupreview.info/2008/08/01/top-25-for-august-2008/

Best,

Sarah

Sarah Downing
German to English
+ ...
A few last questions ... Aug 13, 2008

... Does anyone have any idea of the upload speeds for these applications. I'm thinking of using Carbonite, but my initial upload is going to be about 50 GB, which is (admittedly) "a shitload"! Customer support informed me that average speeds are 3 GB a day (and that's if I'm not using my computer) - is this realistic? Also, what happens if I shut off my computer or it crashes while uploading - I'm assuming it will just automatically resume the upload when I switch it back on.

What
... See more
... Does anyone have any idea of the upload speeds for these applications. I'm thinking of using Carbonite, but my initial upload is going to be about 50 GB, which is (admittedly) "a shitload"! Customer support informed me that average speeds are 3 GB a day (and that's if I'm not using my computer) - is this realistic? Also, what happens if I shut off my computer or it crashes while uploading - I'm assuming it will just automatically resume the upload when I switch it back on.

What about the download speeds? From recent experience, I suspect I may be able to download my 50 GB in two days should I need to restore the files. I have never understood why downloads are always so much faster than uploads.

Best,

Sarah
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you use/ trust online backup solutions?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »