Ingo Dierkschnieder
Ingo Dierkschnieder  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 09:23
Tag (2004 óta)
angol - német
+ ...
Vispa Feb 18, 2008

Can only recommend Vispa. I've been with them for four years now and haven't had any problems to speak of. They might not be on the cheap side but the service is reliable and the support is readily available and the people there actually know what they are talking about as they are all computer experts.

Ramon Inglada
Ramon Inglada  Identity Verified
angol - spanyol
+ ...
I would not recommend BT at all Feb 18, 2008

Hi there,

I've been a Total Broadband BT costumer for almost a year now and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Why? 2 simple reasons:

- The BT HomeHub is one of the worst pieces of hardware ever created. I can't believe how BT *dare* to send this device to their customers. It's old, unstable, has security flaws, it restarts for no reason quite often... not to talk about remote upgrading performed by BT at irregular intervals with no warning at all whatsoever. All of a s
... See more
Hi there,

I've been a Total Broadband BT costumer for almost a year now and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Why? 2 simple reasons:

- The BT HomeHub is one of the worst pieces of hardware ever created. I can't believe how BT *dare* to send this device to their customers. It's old, unstable, has security flaws, it restarts for no reason quite often... not to talk about remote upgrading performed by BT at irregular intervals with no warning at all whatsoever. All of a sudden the HomeHub restarts, you're left offline for a good 20/30 minutes and once the software is upgraded, all your previous settings are lost. Nice one. And this can happen any time, usually right in the middle of your working day when you're about to deliver some files :-S.

- Customer service is appalling. Long waiting times and no help at all. I've called several times only to receive useless advice and to be told, in the end, that the problem was mine, not theirs (which was, of course, not true at all).

On the other hand, I've heard good things about Zen and Pipex. Regarding Virgin, it seems to be a good option in cabled areas. In other words, their cable packages are supposed to be good, but their normal ADSL packages are, apparently, not that great.

I hope you end up finding the right package for you!

Cheers,

Ramon
Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
Egyesült Királyság
angol - német
+ ...
Avoid Tiscali... Feb 26, 2008

...whatever you do! Slow, unreliable, "customer service" can make you cry with frustration!

Avoid Aol Apr 3, 2008

I have Aol (which has recently been bought by Carephone Warehouse) but I want to change company because I'm always having problems, their server is always down. Sometimes I'm connected for an hour and then stay 3 or 4 hours without connection because their server is down. And when you call them you have to wait for at least 30 minutes to talk to them (paying 70 pence per minute!!), and they are never able to sort anything out.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
spanyol - angol
+ ...
yuo get what you pay for... Apr 5, 2008

Anyone who pays £6-50 a month for "high-speed" broadband from a company like tiscali and expects it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread should really know better. If your job/work depends on a stable (i.e. reliable) broadband connection then you have to pay for it....and anyway, can't you write the cost of it down as a taxable allowance?

Zen have been voted the best ISP again (fourth time in a row I think) so they are probably the one to really check out.

... See more
Anyone who pays £6-50 a month for "high-speed" broadband from a company like tiscali and expects it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread should really know better. If your job/work depends on a stable (i.e. reliable) broadband connection then you have to pay for it....and anyway, can't you write the cost of it down as a taxable allowance?

Zen have been voted the best ISP again (fourth time in a row I think) so they are probably the one to really check out.

Here's a handy website that compares a whole host of ISPs against each other:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

You'll have to register to use this particular service they provide, but it is worth it: you can test your download/upload speeds and see if your supplier is giving you what they said they would. Myself, for example, using Orange broadband, am getting a speed of 5.5 Mbps (I paid for 8) and I live very close to the exchange, so I am not happy on the speed part. But they haven't let me down yet (as BT initially did - SIX WEEKS just to install a phone line...) and the good thing about Orange is they pay for the BT line rental included.

For all the grumpy grouchos who want to complain (and be heard), thinkbroadband.com is the place to register your dissatisfaction: you can rate your ISP each and every month...

UPDATE: Okay, I've just done a speed test on my computer and it comes out at 6.7 Mbps which is pretty good. But my dad gets 7.5 regularly - and HE lives further from the exchange (and is with BT). But I agree with those who complain about the BT hub - terrible, it 'decides' to update remotely at the worst possible times.

So, the ISP and the equipment they provide are fairly important factors I'd say...

And one final point: if you are not happy - complain to your ISP.
To give a comparison - in Japan the AVERAGE speed is 21 Mbps. The UK is one of the worst. But Ireland (republic of) is even more primitive. My brother, who lives in county Galway, is lucky to get dial-up...
Collapse

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
angol - olasz
+ ...
O2 May 9, 2008

Has anybody got stories about O2? They seem to be reasonably priced (even more so if you are an O2 mobile customer, which I am not) and get fantastic write ups.
I used to be with Virgin/telewest, but I got tired of them (speed not nearly as fast as advertised and technical support in India who do not seem to have a clue).
In any case I have not commited myself yet yo a new contract. Any comments?

Andrea

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
spanyol - angol
+ ...
O2 are expanding... May 9, 2008

I read somewhere online recently that O2 are now in a position to offer services to the whole country, as before this you could only get broadband with them in limited areas. I am an O2 (mobile) customer, so yes, their offers did originally attract me; unfortunately they weren't set up in NI then - and I don't know if they are yet.

Their prices do look good, but I would read the small print too - they are offering super fast broadband (up to 20Mbps) which I doubt everyone will get,
... See more
I read somewhere online recently that O2 are now in a position to offer services to the whole country, as before this you could only get broadband with them in limited areas. I am an O2 (mobile) customer, so yes, their offers did originally attract me; unfortunately they weren't set up in NI then - and I don't know if they are yet.

Their prices do look good, but I would read the small print too - they are offering super fast broadband (up to 20Mbps) which I doubt everyone will get, or even close to it.

If you are looking to change supplier I would take a good hard look at what's out there on offer. I am with Orange, no complaints so far (touch wood).
Collapse

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internet connection in the UK

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »