Translation rate for European translators working in the UK (EN>FR exactly)
Thread poster: Cecilia Norton
Cecilia Norton
Cecilia Norton
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:04
English to French
+ ...
Apr 6, 2023

Hi.

If you are European (or better French) living in the UK working as a freelance translator for UK Agencies, this question is for you

Look i know this is a tough subject, but I need some honest answers.

I have been working as a translator for 13 years. I started very low at £0.055 per word back in the day and now serving as £0.085. Last year I increased my rate from £0.8 to £0.85 but I
... See more
Hi.

If you are European (or better French) living in the UK working as a freelance translator for UK Agencies, this question is for you

Look i know this is a tough subject, but I need some honest answers.

I have been working as a translator for 13 years. I started very low at £0.055 per word back in the day and now serving as £0.085. Last year I increased my rate from £0.8 to £0.85 but I have been really hit by this financial crisis, and I do wonder if I charge too low. Has anyone else increased their rates dramatically? Do you have different rates for easy translation versus technical ones?

Would it be cheeky to request an increase to £1/word for technical translation?

Thanks

Ceci
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Cecilia Apr 9, 2023

As so far no one has answered your question, here is my two cents, though I’m not French and don’t live in the UK. Anyway, I’m European and some of my clients are UK agencies. In my experience, when you raise rates there are only three possible outcomes, they accept, they don't, they negotiate. So, you should have a strategy ready for the last two before announcing that you have raised your rates. As raising rates on existing clients is rather difficult, I would go slowly and increasing fr... See more
As so far no one has answered your question, here is my two cents, though I’m not French and don’t live in the UK. Anyway, I’m European and some of my clients are UK agencies. In my experience, when you raise rates there are only three possible outcomes, they accept, they don't, they negotiate. So, you should have a strategy ready for the last two before announcing that you have raised your rates. As raising rates on existing clients is rather difficult, I would go slowly and increasing from £0.085/word to £1/word seems to me rather steep. I think the way to go is finding new clients (agencies and direct clients) and charging them the new rate. Of course, difficult translations (technical or not) should be charged a higher rate…Collapse

Jorge Payan

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Jump is too big... Apr 9, 2023

I would try £0.09 first, which is still a good rate for British agencies. Personally, I don't know any translators in the UK charging £0.10/word. Good luck!

Edited for typo...

[Edited at 2023-04-09 11:40 GMT]

Laurent Di Raimondo

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:04
French to English
. Apr 10, 2023

Are you working with agencies or direct clients?

I mean, the rates you're citing are similar to rates I have seen here, as a French person of British origin working into English in France, for French *agencies* (so I'm kind of your mirror).

I work for agencies but I do also have quite a few direct clients. I bill them 50+% more than what I bill agencies. They do require more hand-holding, they have more questions about my translations, they sometimes need educating, b
... See more
Are you working with agencies or direct clients?

I mean, the rates you're citing are similar to rates I have seen here, as a French person of British origin working into English in France, for French *agencies* (so I'm kind of your mirror).

I work for agencies but I do also have quite a few direct clients. I bill them 50+% more than what I bill agencies. They do require more hand-holding, they have more questions about my translations, they sometimes need educating, because they don't know what kind of deadline is reasonable, or they think I can translate just as easily in the other direction. But all in all I think it is worth doing that work to keep the client satisfied, foster loyalty and get more and more work from the client. Direct clients are more likely to be loyal as well as paying more.

I considerably increased my income with the addition of a couple of direct clients recently. And rather than working harder to fit them in, I decided to drop another client, an agency that mostly sent me boring work, with an unpleasant PM who can't be bothered to specify wordcount in job offers.

ETA Just realised I didn't actually answer the question you asked. I haven't ever put my prices up since I started freelancing. I'm pretty sure agencies would simply stop sending me work, and I'm quite satisfied with how much I'm earning. If I were to get a new direct client sending me very difficult work, I might just bill them even higher. But then again I don't think I'd want the very difficult work, unless I could easily get into the swing of it!

[Edited at 2023-04-10 15:40 GMT]
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Adjust your rates Apr 10, 2023

Hi Cecilia
This year is an excellent opportunity to adjust your rates for inflation. That's "adjust" not "increase" by 10%. With some clients you can just change the rate on their portal, with others tell them with the first estimate you send. You can increase some or all of your rates, just your hourly rate or min. fee, or your base rate to allow for discounts on discounts, or your PEMT rate, and you can use different rates for different countries.
It's entirely up to you. See what
... See more
Hi Cecilia
This year is an excellent opportunity to adjust your rates for inflation. That's "adjust" not "increase" by 10%. With some clients you can just change the rate on their portal, with others tell them with the first estimate you send. You can increase some or all of your rates, just your hourly rate or min. fee, or your base rate to allow for discounts on discounts, or your PEMT rate, and you can use different rates for different countries.
It's entirely up to you. See what you can get and if someone objects then you can adjust your rates if you want to on the basis of that, or decide not to change them for that client.

[Edited at 2023-04-11 05:55 GMT]
Collapse

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
pounding the keyboard Apr 10, 2023

Cecilia Norton wrote:

Would it be cheeky to request an increase to £1/word for technical translation?

Thanks

Ceci

... yes.

Paul Malone

Beata Fabova
Beata Fabova  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Member (2011)
English to Slovak
0.085/0.85? Apr 13, 2023

Hi Cecilia,

I am a bit confused. £0.085 and £0.85 is a dramatic difference. What rate do you actually charge?? Have you increased your rates so much?

Charging £1/word seems exorbitant to me.

Andriy Yasharov
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Cecilia Norton
Cecilia Norton
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone Apr 13, 2023

Thank you everyone for your answers. Can you tell I did not proof my message properly. ;p
I meant going from 0.085 to 0.10p not £1. I was talking about my agency rate, not direct clients. But I appreciate all your input. I will do it wisely.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation rate for European translators working in the UK (EN>FR exactly)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »