E.G (X)
E.G (X)
Spain
Local time: 10:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 25, 2023

Hello everyone!

An agency in New York has closed and owes me money. Is there anything I can do to get paid? I'm from Spain, by the way. Any help or advice is welcome.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Vanesa Apr 25, 2023

When you say the agency has closed, do you mean they filed for bankruptcy? Once they have filed for bankruptcy, legally there's nothing you can do, apart from registering your claim with the official receiver. The only time I had to deal with an agency that filed for bankruptcy, I was contacted by the Belgian court. Two years later, their staff was paid (I know this because I was in very good terms with two PMs), some translators were also paid, but I received nothing, fortunately it was a very ... See more
When you say the agency has closed, do you mean they filed for bankruptcy? Once they have filed for bankruptcy, legally there's nothing you can do, apart from registering your claim with the official receiver. The only time I had to deal with an agency that filed for bankruptcy, I was contacted by the Belgian court. Two years later, their staff was paid (I know this because I was in very good terms with two PMs), some translators were also paid, but I received nothing, fortunately it was a very small amount (around 50 EUR).Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Michael Newton
Tom in London
E.G (X)
Joakim Braun

E.G (X)
E.G (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Apr 26, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

When you say the agency has closed, do you mean they filed for bankruptcy? Once they have filed for bankruptcy, legally there's nothing you can do, apart from registering your claim with the official receiver. The only time I had to deal with an agency that filed for bankruptcy, I was contacted by the Belgian court. Two years later, their staff was paid (I know this because I was in very good terms with two PMs), some translators were also paid, but I received nothing, fortunately it was a very small amount (around 50 EUR).

Well, I still don't know if they have filed for bankruptcy. The PMs have only told us that they have closed, they don't know much more either. Thank you very much for your answer! I hope you don't have to go through a situation like this anymore either.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Don't wait to be notified Apr 26, 2023

Instead of waiting to be notified (or not), find out where the bankruptcy would be filed and check the status yourself. Looks like it might be here: https://www.nysb.uscourts.gov/how-get-case-info

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do if a client doesn't pay

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »