Sweden
Local time: 00:29
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Jan 23, 2010

In my experience, humanity is divided in two halves on this subject:

Many disapprove when someone is correcting their pronunciation.

Others appreciate being helped to improve their pronunciation.

In both cases it will to a degree depend on the way its done.

My quiery: To which group do you belong

AND:

Which is the best way of correcting someone without offending him/he
... See more

AND:

Which is the best way of correcting someone without offending him/her?

PS Also posted here: http://www.proz.com/topic/155960

[Edited at 2010-01-23 11:10 GMT]
Collapse

AlessiaBeneg
AlessiaBeneg
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes! I do! Jan 23, 2010

I don't find being corrected either humiliating or offensive: it is much more a way to improve one's knowlegde and/or skills. Besides, I like to think over my mistakes, in order to understand why I was wrong. I think this is a good method to interiorize a second language.

Alessia

Grayson Morr (X)
Grayson Morr (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
. Jan 23, 2010

AlessiaBeneg wrote:

I don't find being corrected either humiliating or offensive: it is much more a way to improve one's knowlegde and/or skills. Besides, I like to think over my mistakes, in order to understand why I was wrong. I think this is a good method to interiorize a second language.

Alessia

Internalize.

I also appreciate being corrected. I wish more people would correct my lingering mistakes / oddisms in Dutch. They rarely do (aside from my husband, who knows how much I appreciate it).

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
I do... Jan 23, 2010

it is a way to learn and grow, and it is always beneficial.

I also appreciate when it is done in a kind and respectful way.

Context is everything... I don't believe it is beneficial to interrupt someone in the middle of a conversation or discussion to correct pronunciation, which would detract from the subject at hand, for example, but in other contexts it might be OK, especially if it can be done with humor and without interrupting the flow of information.

... See more
it is a way to learn and grow, and it is always beneficial.

I also appreciate when it is done in a kind and respectful way.

Context is everything... I don't believe it is beneficial to interrupt someone in the middle of a conversation or discussion to correct pronunciation, which would detract from the subject at hand, for example, but in other contexts it might be OK, especially if it can be done with humor and without interrupting the flow of information.

As far as "best way"... one method I like is paraphrasing what the speaker said, or deliberately incorporating the mispronounced word in my response so they hear it correctly.

[Edited at 2010-01-23 12:12 GMT]
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:29
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
In private - if possible Jan 23, 2010

Personally, I'd prefer to have my pronunciation or grammar corrected than to continue making mistakes. How else can one learn?
If I'm not sure how to pronounce something, I usually ask someone who knows to tell me (see the discussion in another thread about how to pronounce Haiti).
As to how to correct others - well, the best way is to do so in private, if possible, rather than in front of people when the correction might seem like a put-down or a humiliation, and to do so kindly.... See more
Personally, I'd prefer to have my pronunciation or grammar corrected than to continue making mistakes. How else can one learn?
If I'm not sure how to pronounce something, I usually ask someone who knows to tell me (see the discussion in another thread about how to pronounce Haiti).
As to how to correct others - well, the best way is to do so in private, if possible, rather than in front of people when the correction might seem like a put-down or a humiliation, and to do so kindly.
I'm not referring to classroom situations here of course, but in conversation.
Yours tactfully,
Jenny
Collapse

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 01:29
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
If they don't charge... why not? Jan 23, 2010

Mats Wiman wrote:

To which group do you belong

I shurely belong to those who appreciate being helped to improve their pronunciation. If only they don't charge for that...

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Do you appreciate being corrected? Jan 23, 2010

Mats Wiman wrote:

AND:

Which is the best way of correcting someone without offending him/her?

PS Also posted here: http://www.proz.com/topic/155960

[Edited at 2010-01-23 11:10 GMT]

Praises should be public and scoldings and corrections privately.
But, I appreciate both.

jaymin
jaymin
Canada
Local time: 18:29
German to Korean
+ ...
correct me please.. Jan 24, 2010

I see people pronounce the following 'o' in a different way in Canada here and couldn't find the pronunciation in the dictionary.

Costco (first 'o') -brand name
Rogers - company name
Cogeco (first 'o') - company name

what would be the correct sound for them? Are the 'o' above the same as in honest?

thanks in advance...

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:59
English to Hindi
+ ...
Stay near to criticizers Jan 24, 2010

Hi friends,
In Hindi, there is a famous saying 'Nindak niyare rakhiye', which means 'Stay near to criticizers'.
Because criticizers are the only source to know self mistakes. I do appreciate the criticism, if done in a healthy manner, as I do. However, I always get the suggestions only from the best people in my language pair.
I heartily accept their criticism and try not to repeat those mistakes again, which is
... See more
Hi friends,
In Hindi, there is a famous saying 'Nindak niyare rakhiye', which means 'Stay near to criticizers'.
Because criticizers are the only source to know self mistakes. I do appreciate the criticism, if done in a healthy manner, as I do. However, I always get the suggestions only from the best people in my language pair.
I heartily accept their criticism and try not to repeat those mistakes again, which is the only key, to come near-to perfection.
Moreover, as it is well said 'noone is perfect in this world'. So, I think everyone should accept criticism in a healthy manner and correct their own mistakes.
If criticism won't be there, perhaps you will keep on repeating the mistakes.
How about, asking your own spouse, sibling, parent, close friend to become your biggest criticiser? Give it a thought, friends!

: PRAKAASH
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Brilliant comment Prakaash! Jan 24, 2010

One could also phrase it "your critics could be your best friends".
(BTW: Shouldn't it be "Stay close to your critics", Prakaash )

After all, one learns a lot from feedback in this world. Feedback is a scarce commodity in the world of translation. Many of us would certainly wish to get more of it from our customers, because that is an important help if you want to improve (or find out which type of texts you shou
... See more

After all, one learns a lot from feedback in this world. Feedback is a scarce commodity in the world of translation. Many of us would certainly wish to get more of it from our customers, because that is an important help if you want to improve (or find out which type of texts you should rather stay away from ).

One often wishes that politicians and corporations would realise the wisdom of welcoming criticism as one of the best ways to improve policies and/or performance.

Mats

[Edited at 2010-01-25 14:23 GMT]
Collapse

AlessiaBeneg
AlessiaBeneg
German to Italian
+ ...
oh! Jan 25, 2010

Grayson Morris wrote:

AlessiaBeneg wrote:

Alessia

Internalize.

I also appreciate being corrected. I wish more people would correct my lingering mistakes / oddisms in Dutch. They rarely do (aside from my husband, who knows how much I appreciate it).

Oh, thank you!;-)

Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins
Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 02:29
English to Polish
+ ...
Depends... Jan 25, 2010

I like being corrected, but it also depends on who does it and how they do it.

I found out that an excellent way to actually get a lot of pronunciation corrections is to read something aloud. Obviously, in conversation we naturally tend to avoid words the pronunciation of which we don't know. While reading to my husband - be it a book, a poem, or a press article - I much more often encounter words I know the meaning of, but I find out that my pronunciation is a bit awkward or even t
... See more
I like being corrected, but it also depends on who does it and how they do it.

I found out that an excellent way to actually get a lot of pronunciation corrections is to read something aloud. Obviously, in conversation we naturally tend to avoid words the pronunciation of which we don't know. While reading to my husband - be it a book, a poem, or a press article - I much more often encounter words I know the meaning of, but I find out that my pronunciation is a bit awkward or even totally wrong.

Generally, I really appreciate and encourage helpful comments from friends, close relatives or professional "mentors" - made in a friendly or funny way. I'm less enthusiastic towards people who have a bit of problem with doing it in a tactful manner though....
Collapse

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:59
English to Hindi
+ ...
Thank you Mats! Jan 26, 2010

Mats Wiman wrote:

After all, one learns a lot from feedback in this world. Feedback is a scarce commodity in the world of translation. Many of us would certainly wish to get more of it from our customers, because that is an important help if you want to improve (or find out which type of texts you should rather stay away from ).

One often wishes that politicians and corporations would realise the wisdom of welcoming criticism as one of the best ways to improve policies and/or performance.

Mats

Thanks Mats for correcting me. Yes, indeed, it should be "Stay close to your critics."

and thanks for appreciating the comment.

: PRAKAASH

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
No charge Nikita Jan 26, 2010

Surely.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
No charge? Jan 26, 2010

George Hopkins wrote:

Surely.

Please share!

Mats

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you appreciate being corrected?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »