Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 20:28
SITE STAFF
Aug 10, 2023

Industry report, 2022

Dear members,

A follow up to the report on CAT tools from 2013 has been published. A lot has changed in ten years. And other things have not.

ProZ.com paying members can access industry reports using the site menu, Education --> Knowledgebase --> Translation industry reports, or at this direct link: https://www.proz.com/industry-report. Under the tab for ebooks, you can open or download this and previous reports.

If you are not currently a ProZ.com paying member, consider becoming one. Among all the other benefits and tools and opportunities, members receive immediate, full access to the information available in industry reports, which are about and for freelance language professionals.

Happy translating,

Jared

Industry report, 2022

Yana Dovgopol
expressisverbis

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Questions Aug 11, 2023

• Why isn't the report in EPUB format?
  • What was the total number of respondents?
  • Why is CafeTran Espresso listed in the diagram on page 18 but not on pages 14, 15, etc.?
  • Why didn't you mention other operating systems (Linux, Mac) or cross-platform CAT tools?
  • Will there be a version with dogs instead of cats?

[Edited at 2023-08-11 05:20 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Some answers Aug 11, 2023

Hi Hans,

• Why isn't the report in EPUB format?

• For the sake of simplicity. With past reports I had experimented with offering PDF, EPUB, and (I think) MOBI, and found that almost everyone preferred the PDF while the other formats caused confusion.

• What was the total number of respondents?

• For the surveys, there were just over 4,000 participants this time around.

• Why is CafeTran Espresso listed in the diagram on page 18 but not on pages 14, 15, etc.?

• Whether a tool figures on a chart depends on how often it was reported by users. For the most part, if the percentage reporting the tool was lower than 1%, I left them out of the charts. Otherwise, every chart has 50+ CAT tools on it and it gets a bit difficult to manage and digest.

• Why didn't you mention other operating systems (Linux, Mac) or cross-platform CAT tools?

• I didn't think about it, and it did not come up in any meaningful way in the responses. Something around 6% of translators are on Mac, and 1% on Linux, I believe, so that might figure into it. I don't know how many of those fall into the group of non-CAT tool users (making a note to find out!), which might also be a reason this did not "float to the top".

• I tried. I couldn't get the dogs to hold still long enough.

Thomas T. Frost
    expressisverbis

Hans Lenting
    Hans Lenting
    Netherlands
    Member (2006)
    German to Dutch
    Dogs Aug 12, 2023

Jared Tabor wrote:

• I tried. I couldn't get the dogs to hold still long enough.

It's just like with CATS: you have to have knowledge of and invest time in them to enjoy them to the maximum.

Jared Tabor
    expressisverbis
    Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Thomas T. Frost
    Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
    Portugal
    Local time: 00:28
    Danish to English
    + ...
    Dogs Aug 13, 2023

Comedy-Pet-Photography-3.-Kenichi-Morinaga-The-big-Boss

[Edited at 2023-08-13 14:04 GMT]

Jared Tabor
    expressisverbis
    Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Teplocteur
    Teplocteur  Identity Verified
    Local time: 07:28
    English to Chinese
    + ...
    Secure Connection Failed An error occurred during a connection to bit.ly. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR Err Aug 15, 2023

Jared Tabor wrote:

Industry report, 2022

Dear members,

A follow up to the report on CAT tools from 2013 has been published. A lot has changed in ten years. And other things have not.

ProZ.com paying members can access industry reports using the site menu, Education --> Knowledgebase --> Translation industry reports, or at this direct link: https://www.proz.com/industry-report. Under the tab for ebooks, you can open or download this and previous reports.

If you are not currently a ProZ.com paying member, consider becoming one. Among all the other benefits and tools and opportunities, members receive immediate, full access to the information available in industry reports, which are about and for freelance language professionals.

Happy translating,

Jared

Industry report, 2022

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Possibly an issue with your browser, VPN/proxy, or security software settings Aug 15, 2023

Hello Teplocteur,

Are you by chance using Firefox? I did a quick search and got a lot of results saying this may be due to a VPN or proxy, third party security software settings, or an issue with your browser (apparently Firefox in parti
    ... See more
    Hello Teplocteur,

Are you by chance using Firefox? I did a quick search and got a lot of results saying this may be due to a VPN or proxy, third party security software settings, or an issue with your browser (apparently Firefox in particular):

https://www.google.com/search?q=Secure%20Connection%20Failed%20An%20error%20occurred%20during%20a%20connection%20to%20bit.ly.%20PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR%20Err&oq=Secure%20Connection%20Failed%20An%20error%20occurred%20during%20a%20connection%20to%20bit.ly.%20PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR%20Err&aqs=chrome..69i57.851j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm unable to replicate the error in either Chrome or Firefox.
    Collapse

Teplocteur

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New industry report on CAT tools now available

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
    Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »