Thread poster: Sonja Biermann
Sonja Biermann
Sonja Biermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:27
English to German
+ ...
Nov 5, 2009

Dear colleagues

Does anyone know whether there is a programme or macro or anything to check the numbers in a bilingual document? Any suggestions are welcome. What measures do you take to minimize mistakes?

Cheers

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:27
Spanish
+ ...
Many CAT tools Nov 5, 2009

Many CAT tools have in-build QA tools that can check numbers. SDL products, Wordfast, MemoQ and DejaVu have them, but probably they're not the only ones.

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 11:27
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Apsic Xbench Nov 6, 2009

You may also use Apsic Xbench to check numbers, it is free. Generally, I check with the CAT tool verification filters and additionally, I use QA Distiller or Xbench for additional verifications at the end of the project, during final checking. If you configure your CAT tool verification options correcly, depending on the tool you are using, the translation is checked in real time, so that you leave very few errors behind. Anything that you might have missed during translation can be corrected in... See more
You may also use Apsic Xbench to check numbers, it is free. Generally, I check with the CAT tool verification filters and additionally, I use QA Distiller or Xbench for additional verifications at the end of the project, during final checking. If you configure your CAT tool verification options correcly, depending on the tool you are using, the translation is checked in real time, so that you leave very few errors behind. Anything that you might have missed during translation can be corrected in a final auto-revision step.
HTH
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
QA - Checking numbers in a bilingual document Nov 6, 2009

Sonja Biermann wrote:

Dear colleagues

Does anyone know whether there is a programme or macro or anything to check the numbers in a bilingual document? Any suggestions are welcome. What measures do you take to minimize mistakes?

Cheers

DOG Errorspy trial: [url]http://www.dog-gmbh.com/index.php?id=336&L=1[url]

Sonja Biermann
Sonja Biermann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Nov 6, 2009

I usually work with Trados and Word which is my main client's preferred combination. Even if the proofreader works with another CAT Tool - they usually can handle the bilingual Trados/Word files, whereas TTX files often are a problem.

Sometimes I get a pre-translated Word file or there is another reason why I can't use TagEditor and the build-in QA checker. I don't think it is possible to use the QA checker within Word, is it? (I watched a webinar that led me to believe this.) But t
... See more
I usually work with Trados and Word which is my main client's preferred combination. Even if the proofreader works with another CAT Tool - they usually can handle the bilingual Trados/Word files, whereas TTX files often are a problem.

Sometimes I get a pre-translated Word file or there is another reason why I can't use TagEditor and the build-in QA checker. I don't think it is possible to use the QA checker within Word, is it? (I watched a webinar that led me to believe this.) But then, my knowledge is quite limited.

So, I would like to thank Christiana and Pablo for their suggestions. I tried both programmes, and I am quite enthusiastic about Apsic Xbench because it is free, small (1.8 MB) and seems to work quite accurately, even with lengthy texts.

QA is a difficult topic - tiny mistakes such as twisted numbers are bastards (pardon my French). Chances are, if you don't see them, the proofreader won't either.

If you have any other suggestions on how to improve your QA, please feel free to comment.

Many thanks for your help!
Sonja

[Bearbeitet am 2009-11-06 16:54 GMT]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:27
Spanish
+ ...
SDLX Nov 6, 2009

Sonja Biermann wrote:

If you work with Word, you can save your .doc file as .rtf and run it under SDLX QA. I actually prefer it to TagEditor's QA tool because it's easier to configure and less buggy.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
QA - Checking numbers in a bilingual document Nov 6, 2009

Sonja Biermann wrote:

Sometimes I get a pre-translated Word file or there is another reason why I can't use TagEditor and the build-in QA checker. I don't think it is possible to use the QA checker within Word, is it? (I watched a webinar that led me to believe this.) But then, my knowledge is quite limited.

So, I would like to thank Christiana and Pablo for their suggestions. I tried both programmes, and I am quite enthusiastic about Apsic Xbench because it is free, small (1.8 MB) and seems to work quite accurately, even with lengthy texts.

QA is a difficult topic - tiny mistakes such as twisted numbers are bastards (pardon my French). Chances are, if you don't see them, the proofreader won't either.

If you have any other suggestions on how to improve your QA, please feel free to comment.

Many thanks for your help!
Sonja

Hallo, Sonja:

DOG Errorspy seems more difficult than Apsics Workbench at first glance, but it is not.
Once one or two projects have been done, it runs very well and allows to correct near all errors, formatting and inverse consistency included.

I acknowledge it has some restrictions. Only trados bilingual files or ttx files can be managed and it is not a cheap tool. But, your translations will be near 100% error-free and ROI shoudl be quite short.

Alles Gute,
PB

[Editado a las 2009-11-06 19:31 GMT]

Jan Vernooy
Jan Vernooy  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Strings that combine numbers/characters are missed Nov 16, 2009

I am looking since some time as well for a tool that does an impeccable number check in bilingual files. The embedded QA Checkers in Trados do so BUT...they miss mistakes in strings that combine numbers and other characters, for instance A567B or D%5 and such. Does Aspic X Bench and/or other tools check these correctly, that is both for presence AND order of numbers? Thanks for a reaction

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QA - Checking numbers in a bilingual document

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »