A free CAT tool for my class?
Thread poster: Palko Agi
Palko Agi
Palko Agi  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:12
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 6, 2004

Can you help me finding a free CAT tool that I could use in my language classes (provided I get acces to the computer room)?
I don't need anything complicated, I just would like to show my secondary school students what possibilities are there in CAT, what are the basic features etc.
Since I mostly translate literature, I don't use them, so I would like to learn one during the summer. My kids will be electrical technicians after finishing school, and I think they could find it usef
... See more
Can you help me finding a free CAT tool that I could use in my language classes (provided I get acces to the computer room)?
I don't need anything complicated, I just would like to show my secondary school students what possibilities are there in CAT, what are the basic features etc.
Since I mostly translate literature, I don't use them, so I would like to learn one during the summer. My kids will be electrical technicians after finishing school, and I think they could find it useful.
Unfortunately the school has no funds for such "luxury items".
Collapse

ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:12
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Not free, but usefull.... Jul 6, 2004

Hi Bence,
you could try Wordfast www.wordfast.net you can download a free version which is only limited in the size of the translation memory...
Give it a try.
Natália

Bence Ági wrote:

Since I mostly translate literature, I don't use them, so I would like to learn one during the summer. My kids will be electrical technicians after finishing school, and I think they could find it useful.
Unfortunately the school has no funds for such "luxury items".

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
A free CAT tool for my class? Jul 6, 2004

OmegaT is free and is available at: www.omegat.org

I am expecting version 1.4 to be released in the next few days, but in the meantime the 1.3.14 test version is available and is much the same.

There are also some sample English texts for translation on the OmegaT site which are useful for demonstrating the program.

Marc

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Free, but still usefull Jul 6, 2004

Natália Fialho wrote:

Hi Bence,
you could try Wordfast www.wordfast.net you can download a free version which is only limited in the size of the translation memory...
Give it a try.
Natália

Under http://www.wordfast.org/ you can download an older, but still functional version of Wordfast without any limitations.

Best regards
Andrzej

alain raymond
alain raymond
Canada
Local time: 06:12
English to French
Free CAT tool for school Jul 6, 2004

Hello Bence,

The best way to choose one would be to download a few and try them out, you'll then be able to choose the one best suited for your students...

Have you considered Fusion?...

The version of Fusion Translate available on Proz.com (http://www.proz.com/index.php3?sp=fusion/index&fusion_show_mode=download) is good fo
... See more
Hello Bence,

The best way to choose one would be to download a few and try them out, you'll then be able to choose the one best suited for your students...

Have you considered Fusion?...

The version of Fusion Translate available on Proz.com (http://www.proz.com/index.php3?sp=fusion/index&fusion_show_mode=download) is good for 90 days and is fully functionnal... That should enable you to cover one semester.

If you have some previously translated documents, you'll also be able to use the Extraction-Generation functions in the Terminology Module to rapidly build glossaries for your different type of translations. I believe you won't find this feature in another CAT free Trial version (please correct me if I'm wrong).

For more information on our programs, please do get in touch with me at [email protected], I'll be glad to supply more details.

Kind regards,

Alain
Fusion Team
GMT -5:00
Collapse

dieter haake
dieter haake  Identity Verified
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
the wf-licence is free ... Jul 6, 2004

... for schools.

I'd had the same problem last year

HTH

didi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A free CAT tool for my class?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »