Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 23:20
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Oct 20, 2015

Dear all,

I do not know about you, but this book worked for me (as one of my most effective and favourite textbooks) both when I was a student and when I was a language lecturer.

I am talking about Raimond Murphy's "English Grammar in Use" - the well-known textbook.

When I watched this video (see link below) it was interesting to get the insights of the author himself and get the idea of why the book worked
... See more
Dear all,

I do not know about you, but this book worked for me (as one of my most effective and favourite textbooks) both when I was a student and when I was a language lecturer.

I am talking about Raimond Murphy's "English Grammar in Use" - the well-known textbook.

When I watched this video (see link below) it was interesting to get the insights of the author himself and get the idea of why the book worked and still works so well.

http://30years.cambridge.org/?utm_source=egu&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=launch#Slide4

I still recommend it to some "patients" who need to improve on their "grammar health".

Would be interesting to know how this famous book worked in your experience, so, please, share if you can.

All the best for your day!
Vitaly
Collapse

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:20
German to English
loved it Oct 20, 2015

I taught adults English for a year back in 2002/03 and I absolutely loved the Murphy's books (there was a red beginner's book and a blue intermediate/advanced, but I can't remember what had which exact name).

I enjoyed other good books in the same format (page of explanations, page of exercises) when learning German (Klett's Klipp & Klar) and French (Cle's Grammaire progressive du francais).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Long live the Murph! Oct 20, 2015

Ah yes, fond memories of TEFL. In fact, I know a lot of TEFL teachers who gained most of their active grammar knowledge from using the Murphy. I think I still have a copy of the intermediate level workbook somewhere...

[Edited at 2015-10-20 11:12 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:20
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The TEFL teacher's best friend Oct 20, 2015

I taught EFL for business purposes for 15 years (maybe I will again but not at the moment) and this is for me THE grammar book for students. Great help when presenting the grammar points and perfect for homework. The exercises are far less repetitive and boring than some grammar books.

I have loads of them:- elementary (including the French version) to advanced, original to the last-but-one version.

Isadora Veiga
Isadora Veiga  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:20
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
Excellent! Oct 20, 2015

Been teaching for over 20 years and it's still my number one grammar reference book! All students love it!

Very well contextualized, clear explanations, good examples, productive exercises, just love it!

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Solid enough Oct 20, 2015

Fair enough, yet some ESL students still get it better from other sources like Swan and 'Fix it' series and others--in comparison. That's why I always try to diversify the sources.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
I have both books as well Oct 21, 2015

They are so clear to understand they are perfect for young and old. I used them a lot when I used to teach English and all my students loved them. My older students would tell me it was the first time they really understood any English grammar.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Raimond Murphy's "English Grammar in Use" celebrates 30 years

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »