Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
Local time: 17:03
French to English
+ ...
Aug 22, 2023

Hi everybody,

I'm hoping to find some help here other than simply the suggestion to upgrade to a new version of Trados, since at this rate I'm considering simply changing tools altogether.

As a veteran translator, I'm on my third version of Trados, which is currently 2017. Since I installed it a few years ago, despite enabling updates, the application has been gradually losing functionalities. It started with the glossary, then the search-and-replace tool became quirky
... See more
Hi everybody,

I'm hoping to find some help here other than simply the suggestion to upgrade to a new version of Trados, since at this rate I'm considering simply changing tools altogether.

As a veteran translator, I'm on my third version of Trados, which is currently 2017. Since I installed it a few years ago, despite enabling updates, the application has been gradually losing functionalities. It started with the glossary, then the search-and-replace tool became quirky (I can blindly type in a term and press enter, but have no visibility of the dialogue box). But I could live with that. Now, however, I cannot use any new or existing translation memories, and for that reason, I am now getting error messages when I try to open a new package.

I dread having to reinstall everything… Any suggestions? TIA.
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 16:03
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Repair Aug 22, 2023

Did you try a repair? Or upgrading your TMs?

Stepan Konev

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, please explain! Aug 22, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

Hi there! How would you go about doing a repair? Thanks!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:03
English to Russian
Find and replace Aug 22, 2023

Locate the F&R window by pressing Alt+Tab, then press Win+arrow left or right several times to move the window from outside your screen.
To repair your installation, go to Control Panel, Programs and features, find Trados 2017 and click Uninstall (or maybe Remove, not sure the button name in English). In the next window that opens, there would be three options. Click the 'Repair' option and follow the wizard steps.

[Edited at 2023-08-22 17:00 GMT]

expressisverbis

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Stepan! Aug 22, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Locate the F&R window by pressing Alt+Tab, then press Win+arrow left or right several times to move the window from outside your screen.
To repair your installation, go to Control Panel, Programs and features, find Trados 2017 and click Uninstall. In the next window that opens, there would be three options. Click the 'Repair' option and follow the wizard steps.

Thank you! I'm just finishing up a project but I'll try that tomorrow morning.

Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Add-ons Aug 22, 2023

Hi Veronica,

Now running Studio 2022. When I was working with the 2017 version, I remember having trouble once because of add-ons I had installed. I was new to Studio, so I had installed many out of curiosity. For that reason, I would recommend either cleaning the addons (for example by renaming the folder containing them, C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\14\Plugins\ for Studio 2017) and reinstalling them, or at least deleting them one by one to see
... See more
Hi Veronica,

Now running Studio 2022. When I was working with the 2017 version, I remember having trouble once because of add-ons I had installed. I was new to Studio, so I had installed many out of curiosity. For that reason, I would recommend either cleaning the addons (for example by renaming the folder containing them, C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\14\Plugins\ for Studio 2017) and reinstalling them, or at least deleting them one by one to see whether it fixes some of your issues.

We all know about that disappearing Search dialog. But what is your issue with the glossary?

Sometimes problems can have very subtle causes. For example, I used to store the glossaries provided by the client in a subfolder named = TB. I think the = sign prevented Studio from loading them. That is why now I have them simply in subfolder TB.

Philippe
Collapse

expressisverbis

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting! Aug 23, 2023

Philippe Noth wrote:

Hi Veronica,

Now running Studio 2022. When I was working with the 2017 version, I remember having trouble once because of add-ons I had installed. I was new to Studio, so I had installed many out of curiosity. For that reason, I would recommend either cleaning the addons (for example by renaming the folder containing them, C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\14\Plugins\ for Studio 2017) and reinstalling them, or at least deleting them one by one to see whether it fixes some of your issues.

We all know about that disappearing Search dialog. But what is your issue with the glossary?

Sometimes problems can have very subtle causes. For example, I used to store the glossaries provided by the client in a subfolder named = TB. I think the = sign prevented Studio from loading them. That is why now I have them simply in subfolder TB.

Philippe

Interesting, Philippe! I didn't realize the disappearing Search box was a well-known thing. Do you find the 2022 version less problematic?

The glossary started out well, and I used it often, but at one point I couldn't do any searches or even scroll down the list. Now I can't get it to display.

I will tinker around today when I get the time and let you know whether I find any plugins in that folder. Thank you so much for your precious advice.

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details on this error Aug 23, 2023

Hello everyone,

So I spent some time repairing this version and removing lots of older versions, and then running some compatibility tests and rebooting, and then uninstalling and reinstalling the software from the website... But the error keeps coming up.

This is what I see in the dialogue box when I try to import a package:

"Could not load file or assembly 'System.EntreprisesServices. Wrapper.dlll' or one of its dependencies. Erreur lors d'une opération
... See more
Hello everyone,

So I spent some time repairing this version and removing lots of older versions, and then running some compatibility tests and rebooting, and then uninstalling and reinstalling the software from the website... But the error keeps coming up.

This is what I see in the dialogue box when I try to import a package:

"Could not load file or assembly 'System.EntreprisesServices. Wrapper.dlll' or one of its dependencies. Erreur lors d'une opération de pagination. (Exception from HRESULT:0x800703E7) 1 errors, 0 warnings)"

I suspect that the problem has to do with translation memories because I was beginning to have problems opening them when I was using regular projects, and now I believe that what is keeping me from opening a package is the connection with the translation memory.

Any ideas? I'm open to anyone's suggestions.

[Edited at 2023-08-23 09:02 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Veronica! Aug 23, 2023

Veronica Coquard wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

I'm sorry. After I posted my message here I had to leave for attending an appointment and I came home late to answer you, but Stepan has already done that for me.
Thanks Stepan

[Edited at 2023-08-23 08:55 GMT]

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ready to try upgrading TMs... But how? Aug 23, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

Veronica Coquard wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

I'm sorry. After I posted my message here I had to leave for attending an appointment and I came home late to answer you, but Stepan has already done that for me.
Thanks Stepan

[Edited at 2023-08-23 08:55 GMT]

Picking your brain again, expressisverbis!

I'm trying everything I can today, because I can see that this problem is not going away: I can't open any TMs or packages now. I am looking into upgrading the TMs as you suggested (and I see a red notice on the website that says "If you have SDL MultiTerm 2017 SR1 installed alongside SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1, you must also update MultiTerm to the latest cumulative update (SDL MultiTerm 2017 SR1 CU7) when updating to Trados Studio 2017 SR1 CU15."

I despair of Trados... Don't have a clue what to do. Can you help?

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Upgrading TMs Aug 23, 2023

Veronica Coquard wrote:

Picking your brain again, expressisverbis!

I'm trying everything I can today, because I can see that this problem is not going away: I can't open any TMs or packages now. I am looking into upgrading the TMs as you suggested (and I see a red notice on the website that says "If you have SDL MultiTerm 2017 SR1 installed alongside SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1, you must also update MultiTerm to the latest cumulative update (SDL MultiTerm 2017 SR1 CU7) when updating to Trados Studio 2017 SR1 CU15."

I despair of Trados... Don't have a clue what to do. Can you help?

How to upgrade TMs in Trados:

https://gateway.sdl.com/CommunityKnowledge?articleName=000007897

I believe the best approach would be to contact RWS support. I am sure they can help you out:

https://www.trados.com/support/

Stepan Konev

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Veronica Aug 23, 2023

I tried to look up this error "Could not load file or assembly 'System.EntreprisesServices. Wrapper.dlll" and I got the following:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/408503/could-not-load-file-or-assembly-system-enterprises?orderby=newest

On causes and solutions:
... See more
I tried to look up this error "Could not load file or assembly 'System.EntreprisesServices. Wrapper.dlll" and I got the following:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/408503/could-not-load-file-or-assembly-system-enterprises?orderby=newest

On causes and solutions:

https://www.andica.com/faq-enterpriseserviceswrapper.html

I'm not sure if this helps, but you can give it a try.
Collapse

Stepan Konev

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, expressisverbis Aug 23, 2023

Hi again,

I've decided I'm just going to use a different computer to download the new version of Trados in its trial version for now to get on with it. I'm starting to suspect my PC altogether, and the more I mess with it, the worse it gets. But many thanks for all your help.

expressisverbis
Philippe Noth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017 becoming worse over time...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »