TV show portrays how people sounded in 1963

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "TV show portrays how people sounded in 1963".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 19:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Enjoyable learning experience Jul 25, 2010

Yes, I`ve been following this series for the 3 seasons.

Not only it is fun but also enlightening about uses, ways of life, morals and habits in the 60's. It's a reflexion of life in those days as we see it in the 60's movies (or earlier).

A clear example is smoking: everybody smokes in this series, in the office, at dinner, in the family, everywhere and everytime, men and women. That wasn`t only a custom, it was also promoted by the movie industry as we can also see in the
... See more
Yes, I`ve been following this series for the 3 seasons.

Not only it is fun but also enlightening about uses, ways of life, morals and habits in the 60's. It's a reflexion of life in those days as we see it in the 60's movies (or earlier).

A clear example is smoking: everybody smokes in this series, in the office, at dinner, in the family, everywhere and everytime, men and women. That wasn`t only a custom, it was also promoted by the movie industry as we can also see in the films made at that time.

Furthermore, it is also funny to hear and learn some words and expressions that sound kind of archaic now. It shows how language evolves and changes. Very interesting for linguists indeed.
Collapse

Jana Kinská
Jana Kinská  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:04
English to Czech
+ ...
Nice series Jul 25, 2010

I like this series as well and have seen all of the 3 seasons. I also watched this series because of the atmosphere, social issues and morals of that time, language, design, and... the wonderful costumes:) In the first episode, as Walter points out, I was stunned by the omnipresent cigarettes and alcohol from early morning till night, including in the hands of pregnant women, for instance.

They are about to launch the season 4 - today, I think, actually. Looking forward to that!

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 19:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interview Jul 26, 2010

Jana Kinská wrote:

I like this series as well and have seen all of the 3 seasons. I also watched this series because of the atmosphere, social issues and morals of that time, language, design, and... the wonderful costumes:) In the first episode, as Walter points out, I was stunned by the omnipresent cigarettes and alcohol from early morning till night, including in the hands of pregnant women, for instance.

They are about to launch the season 4 - today, I think, actually. Looking forward to that!

Yes, Jana. The new season was launched yesterday - July 25- in the US.

This links leads you to a very interesting Time interview to "Dan Draper" on the subjects we mentioned, like booz and smoke. http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,207604613001_2005933,00.html

Hope you find it useful too.

Walter

[Edited at 2010-07-26 13:42 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TV show portrays how people sounded in 1963

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »