موضوع میں صفحات:   < [1 2]
A second source claims CNN mistranslated Iranian President's comments

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "A second source claims CNN mistranslated Iranian President's comments ".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
پرتگال
Local time: 16:14
رکن (2007)
پرتگالیسےانگریزی
+ ...
Even more interesting in my opinion... Sep 29, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

It seems to have become a common trick to claim that Iranian leaders are not being correctly translated by their interpreters. Never the leaders of any other country. I find this quite interesting.

... is when, as in this case, claims of incorrect interpretation/translation come from both sides!

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
جاپان
Local time: 00:14
انگریزیسےجاپانی
+ ...
My mistake Sep 29, 2013

Teresa Borges wrote:

Isn't Iranian (also referred to as Farsi) Iran's official language?

Yes, sorry I meant Farsi, not Arabic. A distinction which I am sure that the vast majority of CNN viewers could not make, either.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Well, there is the power issue. Even if the interviewee is "pretty good" at English, he'd still be at a disadvantage (from a power point of view) when the interviewer is a native speaker of English. Any person is usually most powerful in his native language. If a person speaks a foreign language, he is less at ease.

The fact that a person is "fluent" in English doesn't mean he can speak with ease on any topic in English. The usual language of politics in Iran is not English, so you can't expect Mr Rouhani to be as fluent on political matters in English as he is in the language of his country.

If the South African president were interviewed, you can bet that he'll speak English and not his native language, because English is the language of politics in South Africa. But English is not the language of politics or indeed the language of anything in Iran.

I recall watching an interview with a Dutch politician who went to the US. He thought that he could speak English fluently (and he was pretty fluent), but he was unable to think on his feet quite as smartly as he could in Dutch, and if it wasn't for his celebrity status, people would have though of him as a complete dunce... because he chose to speak a foreign language in which he was "fluent".

You're right, it all depends on what definition of the word "fluent" everyone is using. It's a pretty damn big range sometimes, isn't it? Thus far, I haven't been able to find any audio or video of Rouhani actually speaking English, so I'd not sure where he falls in that range. But you make some good points. I guess in a way, I just assumed that it would take more than a rudimentary working knowledge of English to earn a doctoral degree from a university in an English-speaking country, but perhaps that is a false assumption after all.

However, if Rouhani's camp had a prepared list of questions beforehand, that would seriously narrow any power gap brought about by conducting the interview in his third (his second is probably Arabic) language.

موضوع میں صفحات:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

اس فورم کے موڈریٹر
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A second source claims CNN mistranslated Iranian President's comments

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »